Us / English Grain Substitutes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets!
Reaction score
Hey All,

Im after a spreadsheet of some sort with all of the substitues of US/English/German malts that we cannot get here in Australia, or are named something different - i.e victory etc. Its a pain in the arse asking everytime and I think it would be handy when trying to convert a grain bill. Anyways this is my recipe, its a nut brown -

Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - Im thinking Maris Otter / JW Traditional / BB Ale
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) - Caramunich III???
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) - Same
Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) - Melanoidin/Amber/Brown??
Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - Same

I had a quick search about 'Oats'. Can they be subbed with normal uncle tobys oats, or just some quick oats etc!!!

Most oats should work. Really anything that says rolled oats as the rolling process gelatinises the proteins and makes them usable without a cereal mash. Quick oats are fine.

With the 2 row in that recipe, I think that something more like BB Galaxy or JW Pilsner might be better than the ale malts.

I think Amber is also a good subs for Victory, I think some make amber closer in colour to victory than what the biscuit is. I had it marked as my preferred substitute in beersmith for some reason, followed by biscuit.

Victory = biscuit/amber and ive also read things that say blending the two makes it close to victory. Its a propritary malt by Briess but most highly kilned malts within the same SRM value should come close. I'd probabaly look at Simpsons Aromatic malt or Dingemans Bicsuit (whatever you can get your hands on) if it was my recipe.

as for the base malt just choose what you want, the closest to domestic US 2-row would be JW Ale or BB Ale. MO has abit more character than the ale's and gives a slight nuttiness to the beer.

The crystal would be any 60L crystal such as Caramunich II/III or Bairds Medium Crystal. The Joe White crystals will miss the mark, they fall in ranges roughly around 30L and 80L. Although blending the two is quite tasty! ;)

US 2-row Pale Malt I'd sub BB Ale or JW Ale. US 2-row is very light in flavour and used for some mass produced US beers. MO would be too nutty or biscuity, although you're adding some victory malt anyway, so it wouldn't affect the flavour profile too much. Pilsner malt would add a grainy sweetness which is different to the US 2-row.

Caramel/Crystal 60L I'd sub CaraMunich II which is around 60L. JW Crystal is 70L, so around the same as CaraMunich III.

Oats, Flaked you can use regular or instant oats. Instant oats are gelatinised at higher temps I think, which makes the starch more accessible, so that's always a better choice. If you use regular oats, it's better if you grind them up a bit smaller.

Victory I'd sub Amber.

Chocolate Malt requires no subbing.

After looking at the comparison chart that glaab posted im inclined to do this as my recipe, since its a Nut Brown Ale afterall :D -

Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - Maris Otter (Giving a more pronounced nutty flavour)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) - Caramunich III
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) - Quick Oats
Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) - Melanoidin and Biscuit 50/50
Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - Same

Thanks to all that chipped in. Appreciate it.

Oats, Flaked you can use regular or instant oats. Instant oats are gelatinised at higher temps I think, which makes the starch more accessible, so that's always a better choice. If you use regular oats, it's better if you grind them up a bit smaller.

Another good thing with oats is to toast them in a dry frying pan before using them! :icon_cheers:

Victory = biscuit/amber

I've used both amber and biscuit, and they are not similar at all IMHO.

.02c

If you need quality control on this, i will be keen as mustard mate!!

I think I meant CaraMunich III was 60L, not Cara II. Sorry. Looks like you've chosen Cara III anyway.

Melanoidin is a malt I'd hesitate to include more than 1-2% of as it makes a huge impact. If you're going to try 50/50 with biscuit, I'd suggest more like 90/10 biscuit/melanoidin.

Yeah Kaiser i agree, not too much of either biscuit or melanoiden.

Victory = biscuit/amber
I've used both amber and biscuit, and they are not similar at all IMHO.
.02c
If you need quality control on this, i will be keen as mustard mate!!

Sorry, I was alluding to these malts as being a substitute for victory, not biscuit or amber tasting like eachother. After all, its guess work for all of us on this board execpt for those who have used this malt (probabaly only the American blokes).

As i noted, ive read reports on brewboards (NB mainly from memory) that most call of amber or biscuit as a substitute for victory and some have noted good reports of blending these malts to simulate victory. I'd probabaly say the blending would be the best result to try and get the most of waht Briess describe Victory as.

I always find Biscuit/Aromatic/Imperial malt gives you different levels of a 'digestive biscuit' flavour from light to heavy baked where as Amber give a slightly tannic/bitter husk characteristic with a heavy toasted bread quality.

Anyway, here is Briess description of Victory.

"This exceptional malt delivers truly unique biscuity, nutty flavors. With the distinctive and comforting aroma of baking bread, Victory Malt is awesome in Nut Brown Ales and other dark beers. It adds smooth, complex flavor and aroma to any beer style when used at low percentages. "

You might even be on a winner with around 1% Melanoiden in there to get the richness in the aroma hightened?!

Cheers :icon_cheers:

LOL.

Ok lads. Ill give you my percenatges and we can go from here ok.

Recipe: 17 - My Nuts In Your Brown
Brewer: Dazza
Asst Brewer:
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 34.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.73 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 76.56 %
0.41 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 8.51 %
0.41 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 8.51 %
0.21 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 4.35 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC) Grain 2.08 %
25.00 gm Fuggles [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU

So now I need a sub for victory :D And i think im going to do this with Nottingham, as im loving this yeast and have heaps spare.

LOL.

Ok lads. Ill give you my percenatges and we can go from here ok.

Looks good. Considering its an NEB, i think about swapping the caramunich for Bairds Crystal/TF Crystal for that true English Crystal malt (if you can get it). Either way, its pretty much splitting hairs if you dont.

As for the Victory, this would be my suggestion.

3% Biscuit
1% Amber
1% Melanoiden (if no melanoiden, increase the amber)

Although traditionally a NEB would have straight Amber over Biscuit/victory malt so think about using the complete 4.35% as amber. (just to confuse you even more!) :lol:

Another good thing with oats is to toast them in a dry frying pan before using them! :icon_cheers:
Or the oven toasted gently till they smell like yummie fresh baked cookies, especially if they are to be used in a nut-brown-ale. :)

Or the oven toasted gently till they smell like yummie fresh baked cookies, especially if they are to be used in a nut-brown-ale. :)

Soo got to do this in an ale sometime soon. Turned out quite unique in a belgian wit. Im getting right into british ales these days and keen to start trialing them in a few bitters. Got to try the golden naked oats by Simpsons too. :icon_cheers:

After looking at the comparison chart that glaab posted im inclined to do this as my recipe, since its a Nut Brown Ale afterall :D -

Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - Maris Otter (Giving a more pronounced nutty flavour)

You can use Maris Otter if you want. It will be a different beer because it is a significantly different malt. US 2-Row is a neutral base malt for making ale and I would use the same of your malts. Basically whatever is your substitute grain for pale malt extract.

For the Victory I think I would use Biscuit. The color of Victory is about 29L so you may need to adjust color a bit with a darker bready malt.

Latest posts

Back