Us / English Grain Substitutes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good thing with oats is to toast them in a dry frying pan before using them! :icon_cheers:
So I assume that this is done with a dry pan - no oil?

I made an oatmeal stout recently and used home brand oats because they are cheap - could be a big mistake. The stout has been in the bottle for about 2 months now, has carbonation, but NO head retention at all :( . My only guess is that the cheap oats have a high oit content, which is killing the head . Has anyone had a simialr experience? In the meantime, I would strongly advise - use good quality oats, don't skimp or you may regret it.

Anyone know what to sub for UK Mild Malt????
Screwy

Having abit of a read Screwy its described as either mildly nutty, sweet and malty. Looking at the specs its kilned slightly higher than base malt but just below Munich territory, like 5 Lov~.

Possibly blending Maris Otter with Golden Promise to get that sweet malt/nutty balance might be the go as long as you keep it on the lighter end of the Mild scale. Although if you are boosting your mild up with like 15% highly kilned malts and crystals its probabaly going to make SFA difference to your beer if you just used straight GP or straight MO.

I made an oatmeal stout recently and used home brand oats because they are cheap - could be a big mistake. The stout has been in the bottle for about 2 months now, has carbonation, but NO head retention at all :( . My only guess is that the cheap oats have a high oit content, which is killing the head . Has anyone had a simialr experience? In the meantime, I would strongly advise - use good quality oats, don't skimp or you may regret it.

Yes dry pan, like dry roasing spices. Just keep agitating the pan until you start to smell the oats get toasty like baking bread aromas. I used Uncle Tobys instant in my witbier @ 8% of the grist and didnt notice any foam issues.

I doubt cheap oats = high oil content. Firstly, homebrand packages are often packed by the major labels, just with different packaging. You may well be getting Uncle Toby's oats, just packed in homebrand packages. It makes sense for the supermarkets to do this, so they can concentrate on the business of supermarkets, rather than food production. It also minimises cost, and serves the cheaper end of the market, as people percieve product differences between brands when there often are none. (Check homebrand ingredients and percentages against major brand products - often you'll find that they are the same, because they are the same product).

Secondly, even if they were done at a separate processing plant, there would need to be a different oil content in the oats themselves before they were gelatinised. Gelatinising the oats simply presses them under hot rollers AFAIK, and I can't imagine how this process could be changed to raise or lower the oil content.

I've bought homebrand quick oats for an oatmeal stout, so I'll let you know how it goes...

Latest posts

Back