Us-05 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazeboar

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanting to know - my brew got off to a rocket start at 26 degrees, and it took me around 48 hours to get the wort temp down to 18-19 since I pitched the yeast. I used a US-05 ale yeast, pitching at 26. It was fairly quick fermentation the first 24 hours, and it's now day 3 and the airlock is slow but steady. Is there a chance that it may already be loaded with unwanted flavours because of this? I know the first couple days are crucial. Feel like the month wait will be painful if I dont have a couple of opinions etc.

Hey guys,
Just wanting to know - my brew got off to a rocket start at 26 degrees, and it took me around 48 hours to get the wort temp down to 18-19 since I pitched the yeast. I used a US-05 ale yeast, pitching at 26. It was fairly quick fermentation the first 24 hours, and it's now day 3 and the airlock is slow but steady. Is there a chance that it may already be loaded with unwanted flavours because of this? I know the first couple days are crucial. Feel like the month wait will be painful if I dont have a couple of opinions etc.

I just had a similar situation to yours, couple of hot days immediately after pitching saw the temp climb to 26 before I could chuck the fermenter into a big box with some water and ice to get it down to a more reasonable 19-20c. Dry hopped today (2 weeks later) and the sample tasted fine. I can't run a ferment fridge where I am and my US-05 brews regularly get to 22-23 without doing anything untoward. It'll be a few weeks before I'm certain, but it didn't taste any different to the last couple of times I've used this particular recipe at the same stage.

I just had a similar situation to yours, couple of hot days immediately after pitching saw the temp climb to 26 before I could chuck the fermenter into a big box with some water and ice to get it down to a more reasonable 19-20c. Dry hopped today (2 weeks later) and the sample tasted fine. I can't run a ferment fridge where I am and my US-05 brews regularly get to 22-23 without doing anything untoward. It'll be a few weeks before I'm certain, but it didn't taste any different to the last couple of times I've used this particular recipe at the same stage.

It will be fine as long as a majority of your fermentation is below 20. I prefer to pitch as soon as possible to prevent the possibility of infection and have never had any off flavours from doing so. just no higher than 26....

If it's a hoppy beer with enough malt honestly I don't think you will notice. What does it taste like?

Usually when I've had US05 get hot (24-25C on Day #2 of ferment was probably the worst) it hasn't really done much more than added a bit of extra fruitiness which in a big fruit salad APA doesn't really matter, esp if dryhopping.

If it's not to your taste you could always brew another batch, keep temps low on that ferment and blend them together but honestly I think it'll be fine, RDWHAHB etc

Ah, awesome. First time using this yeast, wasn't sure if it produced a lot of esters. I won't be bothering with a dry hop, i figured 2 X 20g amarillo would have been plenty. Well, i'm far less anxious now thanks to these comments. If this one doesn't turn out i'll tear my hair out. I dont really care about money, but I just spent $250 on a new setup, (cheap compared to some, but still), and the ingredients for this 20 litre batch cost me another $50 on top of that. Combined with the fact that i'm REALLY fed up with making rubbish batches, so I at least want a drinkable beverage at the end of it!
It's pretty damn stupid really, I just got the fridge all set up, and the other night I turned the thermostat up instead of down. Who knows what I was thinking, i'd just driven 5 hours to and from the airport and it was 1am, so i'll use fatigue as an excuse:D

^^ @DJR

Ingredients were:
Coopers sparkling ale extract can
Coopers liquid malt extract
250 grams of Simpsons crystal
2 X 20 g Amarillo
Us-05 Ale yeast

I don't really mind an extra fruity kick, just no terribly noticable off flavours. I'm hoping the hops and maltiness will mask any off flavours.

Back