Ultratap versus Intertap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you don‘t know Aussie sland
Nope. Better things to do like discuss beer related topics.

But they are entertained by it nonetheless.

I agree Indian Giver but when someone like the tap inventor was vilified when all he wanted to do was to explain his passion for helping brewers get their liquid gold from keg to glass with least change then I admit I got a bit arced up. Not sure why people should not be informed when one finds something better.

I think any talk about infringements on patents should be left to Kee and Brads legal teams to sort out, if this thread can't be kept on topic it should be locked down.

Promo looks good but it always bugs me when marketing videos like this use that term - "laminar flow". ANY good tap has laminar flow, if they didn't, you'd get a glass full of foam.
I'm waiting on my Ultratap now so I can do a proper side-by-side with the Intertap.

Promo looks good but it always bugs me when marketing videos like this use that term - "laminar flow". ANY good tap has laminar flow, if they didn't, you'd get a glass full of foam.
I'm waiting on my Ultratap now so I can do a proper side-by-side with the Intertap.
I think Mash Maniac must have got one too, not been ranting on here since he got it.

I think Mash Maniac must have got one too, not been ranting on here since he got it.
Just went to check his profile to see last login date but his profile's not even in the system, that's weird.
He probably did the mature thing and pulled out of a senseless argument and allowed people to focus on discussions of tap performance like the thread intends

I was pretty intrigued to find a 13 year old post with a very familiar looking design:
tap-jpg.4593

Ventmatic - Where To Get A Good Deal

Lotsa references to old mate 'Brad' as seen in the Keg-King video.

Any pics of the internals of the Ultra Flo? Be interesting to see if it is the same as the Ultra or Inter.

Any pics of the internals of the Ultra Flo? Be interesting to see if it is the same as the Ultra or Inter.

Nope it's not the same as the ultratap, I did find a pic that had a nylon seal instead of the orings. Otherwise it looks like the ultraflo and ultratap are a clone of the original ventmatic, which is a copy of the perlick? I think the perlick was the first to use the forward sealing method. I've been trying to get a time line on things but it's a bit tricky to find accurate info. It looks like brad designed the first ventmatic but ventmatic own the patents. Then law suits started. Haven't found out what the it come was, this happened back in 2004.

One thing I'd like to know is can that seal be replaced on the shuttle if it gets worn?

I was pretty intrigued to find a 13 year old post with a very familiar looking design:
tap-jpg.4593

Ventmatic - Where To Get A Good Deal

Lotsa references to old mate 'Brad' as seen in the Keg-King video.
Met Brad down at KK in his pocket he had an old Ventmatic tap which he found here in Melbourne it had been in constant commercial use since 2003 he bought it back, he told me in 15 years the 'O' rings had never been changed. The Ultratap is very similar but a bigger shuttle again than the Ventmatic.

From KegKing's own website:

"From the inventor for the original Vent Matic (Intertap) range of tap products"

Actually, the interference with laminar flow is why a flow control tap will produce more foam at wide open than an ultratap or the unlicenced copy.

It is a legitimate term and theory in fluid dynamics (the science of liquid and gas flow.)

Actually, the interference with laminar flow is why a flow control tap will produce more foam at wide open than an ultratap or the unlicenced copy.

It is a legitimate term and theory in fluid dynamics (the science of liquid and gas flow.)
I know it's a legitimate term, I didn't say it wasn't, my point is that its use in describing a non flow-control tap is unnecessary and seems to exist only as marketing jargon. If by "unlicensed copy" you mean an Intertap then I'm not sure what you mean there either, it pours equally well (since laminar flow is a fairly standard feature of a decent tap), and again it's venturing into off-topic territory about the patent debate - which again, I'm sure, if KegKing believed there was such a claim they would make it themselves.

I don't have a side by side test but a one after the other.

I swapped out my intertap for an ultratap partly for curiosity but also because my intertap was just the plated model and ultratap is stainless.

One thing I noticed straight away is the ultratap has a lot longer throw on the handle, not sure if that's good or not, and most times the spring will not push it off properly. And it doesn't feel overly smooth, it sort of scrapes open and close.

Pouring wise after 2 kegs I found the beer seems to come out a little faster from the ultratap at the same pouring pressure, maybe a bit too fast really. I will probably put a longer beer line on and see what happens.

"Laminar flow" refers to an nice smooth transition. Aeronautic engineers argue to this day if turbulence decreases pressure, but any home brewer can try to pour the same beer through an intertap or Ultra-Flow then compare it to a flow control tap full open.

I suspect the reason they mention it is because it turns out that kegland and "intertap" are Chinese owned interests - and we all know how much the Chinese care about patents and international law...

...so again about the patent theft. Keep it on topic, patent theft will be taken care of by Keg King, they're big boys. They know how to take care of themselves. Keep this thread on topic - if you actually have any proof of theft chuck it in a new thread if you have to.

Nope it's not the same as the ultratap, I did find a pic that had a nylon seal instead of the orings. Otherwise it looks like the ultraflo and ultratap are a clone of the original ventmatic, which is a copy of the perlick? I think the perlick was the first to use the forward sealing method. I've been trying to get a time line on things but it's a bit tricky to find accurate info. It looks like brad designed the first ventmatic but ventmatic own the patents. Then law suits started. Haven't found out what the it come was, this happened back in 2004.

One thing I'd like to know is can that seal be replaced on the shuttle if it gets worn?

Actually looked up the patent numbers and they are owned by Brad. Just google them and you will see for your self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back