Ultratap versus Intertap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pretty intrigued to find a 13 year old post with a very familiar looking design:
tap-jpg.4593

Ventmatic - Where To Get A Good Deal

Lotsa references to old mate 'Brad' as seen in the Keg-King video.
Actually, the interference with laminar flow is why a flow control tap will produce more foam at wide open than an ultratap or the unlicenced copy.

It is a legitimate term and theory in fluid dynamics (the science of liquid and gas flow.)

Found this on Brulosophy website http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/01/vent-matic-ultra-flo-faucets-product-review/

One thing I noticed straight away is the ultratap has a lot longer throw on the handle, not sure if that's good or not, and most times the spring will not push it off properly. And it doesn't feel overly smooth, it sort of scrapes open and close.
It's the same spring for Ultra and Inter right? That longer throw makes it sound like it should use it's own spring.

@Beir Hearder any progress with those pouring videos mate?

It's the same spring for Ultra and Inter right? That longer throw makes it sound like it should use it's own spring.

I own 3 Intertap taps, bought from Keg-King before the KK/KL split. There are two versions of the springs for the Intertaps, the big one works the other is too short/weak to properly close the tap.
Even with the big spring it kinda scraped when opening and closing like you say. I ended up not using the auto-close springs at all.

IMG_5254.jpg IMG_5256.jpg IMG_5255.jpg

On the patent topic there is a thread either here or at homebrewtalk that covers the issue in some detail, there are also some additional details on Brulosophy. There were/are no patents in Australia covering perlic/VentMatic forward sealing taps, however the US importer of Intertap taps had to remove Intertaps from sale for a period of about 6 months because the VentMatic patent holder (Bradford Amidzich) claimed that the InterTap infringed on his patent. Intertap came to an agreement with VentMatic and is now registered under VentMatic patents US6457614, US6626420, US7077299.

It appears Ultratap is using the same patents in their design and has one of the patent numbers (7077299) stamped on the body.

Promo looks good but it always bugs me when marketing videos like this use that term - "laminar flow". ANY good tap has laminar flow, if they didn't, you'd get a glass full of foam.

My Intertap taps (no flow control) all have a non-laminated flow if I open the tap too fast, if I open it slowly it is perfectly laminated so it is not just an issue for flow control taps.
The non-laminated flow creates about twice as much head as I want. I don't have a photo of this but I may try to take one.

I own 3 Intertap taps, bought from Keg-King before the KK/KL split. There are two versions of the springs for the Intertaps, the big one works the other is too short/weak to properly close the tap.
Even with the big spring it kinda scraped when opening and closing like you say. I ended up not using the auto-close springs at all.

View attachment 113408 View attachment 113409 View attachment 113410

On the patent topic there is a thread either here or at homebrewtalk that covers the issue in some detail, there are also some additional details on Brulosophy. There were/are no patents in Australia covering perlic/VentMatic forward sealing taps, however the US importer of Intertap taps had to remove Intertaps from sale for a period of about 6 months because the VentMatic patent holder (Bradford Amidzich) claimed that the InterTap infringed on his patent. Intertap came to an agreement with VentMatic and is now registered under VentMatic patents US6457614, US6626420, US7077299.

It appears Ultratap is using the same patents in their design and has one of the patent numbers (7077299) stamped on the body.

My Intertap taps (no flow control) all have a non-laminated flow if I open the tap too fast, if I open it slowly it is perfectly laminated so it is not just an issue for flow control taps.
The non-laminated flow creates about twice as much head as I want. I don't have a photo of this but I may try to take one.
I don’t think that is quite right as Brad publically said to a bunch of brewers last week that he had patents back in 2003 covering Australia and that the only one in the world who could use his patents now were MCH Keg King and he came out here to clear all this up.

I don’t think that is quite right as Brad publically said to a bunch of brewers last week that he had patents back in 2003 covering Australia and that the only one in the world who could use his patents now were MCH Keg King and he came out here to clear all this up.

You are right, he had a number of Australian patents. They are all lapsed or ceased since before 2010.

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/...queryString=Bradford+Amidzich&resultsPerPage=

Don't get me wrong, I think the forward sealing tap design is a great design. I like all the taps using it (perlic, ventmatic, intertap, ultratap). If someone has legal rights to the design - good for them they should get royalties from the sale of the taps of all of these brands.

Awes

Awesome, you were there part of Melbourne Brewers? I wasn't able to make it down for the meeting that night, was hoping to stock up on a few items with the discount.

Awes

Awesome, you were there part of Melbourne Brewers? I wasn't able to make it down for the meeting that night, was hoping to stock up on a few items with the discount.
Not for that one. KK had several sessions for people with Brad and his explanation on getting beer from keg to glass are very enlightening.

Today my new Ultratap turned up and I fitted it to my keg fridge, alongside my Intertaps.

First thing I noticed is the long throw on the Ultratap as mentioned by pcmfisher and a scraping feeling as I pull the handle. Definitely some friction there, not too sure why, i'll pull it apart and take a look this arvo to see if something is in the way.

The other immediately noticeable difference is the veneer. The Ultratap in the photo is brand new out of the packet and yet I can see blemishes, appears to be from the machining process, it can't be cleaned off. The Intertap on the other hand has a mirror finish.

Both poured equally well, I'm grabbing more photos before posting about performance, so far for looks the Intertap comes out in front as far as looks and usage is concerned.
20180905_123948-COLLAGE.jpeg

As assumed, very similar pouring performance.
It is worth noting that I poured a beer with the Ultratap prior to the one taken here and there was significantly more head, but I believe that's due to me pulling it a bit fast (story of my life). It appears the Intertap tolerates that a bit better but I haven't factored it in here, that wouldn't be fair.
20180905_135443-COLLAGE.jpeg

Sorry to be niave but which is which? Left ultra tap? Right intertap?

Seriously following with interest. This is the first time it's been actually compared properly in my opinion.

Cheers.

I don't know anything about taps but it does appear the ultra tap isn't the bees knees.

Do you have a horse in the race? Or a bias?
No bias nor affiliation, I've gotten involved in this thread in response to what appeared to be a significant bias and potential misrepresentation from a couple of posters in particular (on both sides of the fence - nobody is innocent here). I want to present a neutral view of the matter.
It would help if other Ultratap owners could post photos of their own taps in order to confirm the veneer issue isn't something I can be accused of fabricating.

No bias nor affiliation, I've gotten involved in this thread in response to what appeared to be a significant bias and potential misrepresentation from a couple of posters in particular (on both sides of the fence - nobody is innocent here). I want to present a neutral view of the matter.
It would help if other Ultratap owners could post photos of their own taps in order to confirm the veneer issue isn't something I can be accused of fabricating.

Cheers. Appreciate the honesty. It has appeared there has been "passion" from both sides

I'm looking at getting taps soon so am looking very interested in this thread

*PATENTS ASIDE*

Basically Ventomatic = Intertap = UltraTap? Keg King had the Intertap until all that stuff went down. So what's the true difference between the Intertap and the UltraTap? Or are they the same thing essentially?

So if that's the case, and Keg King used to sell the Intertap, which was the Ventomatic, what's giving them a funny feeling in their pant's about the UltraTap? or is it all just a sales ploy?

Serious questions now the dickheadery seems to be passing in this thread.

They are both made in the same factory, if you call into KK and check out the finishes they are exactly the same, go in after 2.00 pm when the bar opens and pour yourself a Pakistani Bitter. Better still get Yuri to pour it, put the handle of a screwdriver in your ear and the business end on the tap. You will hear the shuttle move as you would the Intertap, there is no way of avoiding the metal on metal movement. As for the length of the pull, does not make the slightest bit of difference I have a beer engine with a 1/4 pint pull and another with a 1/2 pint pull both beers come out exactly the same.
After the Royalty business is over, will there be any spare parts for the Intertap? That is the question that should be asked.

The question that should be asked WEAL is why you're still posting conjecture.
I don't care which factory they're made in, I care about what I and others receive. And there's a difference, in both look and feel.

The question that should be asked WEAL is why you're still posting conjecture.
I don't care which factory they're made in, I care about what I and others receive. And there's a difference, in both look and feel.
So you are worried about what you received, then send it back if you are not happy. I am very happy with mine, very rarely I will use them, I will only have them on my minikegs so not be getting much use but I do know that people not experienced pouring themselves a beer from a keg will not have a problem.

So you are worried about what you received, then send it back if you are not happy. I am very happy with mine, very rarely I will use them, I will only have them on my minikegs so not be getting much use but I do know that people not experienced pouring themselves a beer from a keg will not have a problem.
I'm not worried about what I received. I'm doing what the thread intends, which is comparing taps. Unless you have a comparison to make yourself, or an otherwise on topic contribution, I'm not sure what you're doing posting in this thread.

Read back a few posts you will see the comparison I will strip both down tomorrow so you can compare.
So be patient, don't get your knickers in a twist and we will do a complete comparison tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back