To Skim Or Not To Skim?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't skim. All things being equal, beers are clear with good head retention.

I skim my stocks but not my beers.

this is almost like the scrunch or fold argument... I skim because it was in nicks thread and that's how I started out in Biab, starting to question that now :eek:

I dont skim, and my beers suck.

So my logical advice would to skim for sure.

I don't skim. All things being equal, beers are clear with good head retention.

I skim my stocks but not my beers.

I do skim. All things being equal, beers are clear with good head retention. As i said earlier in thread, only to avoid boil over. It has nothing to do with quality/clarity/head etcetera. If you have the pot space, dont worry about it.

My own personal feeling, based on nothing more than whimsical fancy, suggests that skimming froth or not will have very little to do with either outcome. Sounds like a straw man constructed to distract us from the real issue which is whether you wear underpants when you brew.

I have tried freeballing and while it's comfortable and easy (less washing) I have noticed a lower bitterness in some of the beers that don't use briefs or boxers.

My own personal feeling, based on nothing more than whimsical fancy, suggests that skimming froth or not will have very little to do with either outcome. Sounds like a straw man constructed to distract us from the real issue which is whether you wear underpants when you brew.

I have tried freeballing and while it's comfortable and easy (less washing) I have noticed a lower bitterness in some of the beers that don't use briefs or boxers.

Hi Manticle,
Not sure if you're taking the piss out of me or not? I am merely stating, skimming makes no diff to the final product, which I believe you are too.
I quoted you as it was the perfect post to show that either is fine.
By the way, I wear briefs when brewing. Dont want anything falling out near boiling liquids.

Hi Manticle,
Not sure if you're taking the piss out of me or not? I am merely stating, skimming makes no diff to the final product, which I believe you are too.
By the way, I wear briefs when brewing. Dont want anything falling out near boiling liquids.

I think he was only having a bit of fun with the thread mate, and on that note i'm still lmao :super:

Hi Manticle,

No I wasn't taking the piss out of you. Taking the piss yes but not out of you.

Just having a laugh as sometimes we homebrewers seem to worry about so many little issues - thought I'd relate it to undies instead.

Sorry for the confusion.

I felt your post and mine combined suggested there was little to worry about - just being silly with the rest.

Used to skim, not anymore! Thanks fellas! SWMBO used to ask "what i was doing?" I used to tell her i was skimming the crap off that she left in the pot after washing it....... EVERYTHING has been crystal clean after this.... :icon_cheers: Hope she never comes on-line.

I think he was only having a bit of fun with the thread mate, and on that note i'm still lmao :super:

I believe that Manticle may be referring to a process that is somewhat similar to BIAB... BOAB or balls out allgrain brewing B)

Cheers

Hirns

PS I don't skim

Nobody's taking the piss. Chill out :) It's obvious that some skim, some don't. It's just one of those things that probably don't make a lot of difference to the beer. Or does, if a brewer is technical about it. Overall I think a lot of non skimmers are making top quality beer right alongside the skimmers. It's probably equal to the famous battles about airlocks vs gladwrap. Do what you feel is best for you, and your beer.

Used to skim, not anymore! Thanks fellas! SWMBO used to ask "what i was doing?" I used to tell her i was skimming the crap off that she left in the pot after washing it....... EVERYTHING has been crystal clean after this.... :icon_cheers: Hope she never comes on-line.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Getting slightly back on topic, are people refering to the froth formed during the boil or that brown/greyish skin like gunk, I'm sure its just the skin like stuff which is the proteins, the froth is just bubbled up sugaz i thought? Ah don't bother answering that question, I don't really give a shit.

pretty sure the monks don't skim, me either :icon_cheers:

Bugger...
I've been skimming because I thought you had to remove hot break
I am sure I read it somewhere
But then I read at some time that primary -had- to be followed by secondary fermentation and racking !!!

Manticle, maybe you should try jocks on for first hop, lower 'em round the knees for flavour, and then pants down for aroma!

OK, thanks for the variety of opinions. Nath, I would have to agree that pants-down definatley impacts aroma, can't comment on flavour or FWH though.

Back on topic, I also noticed near boil-overs with froth intact, I guess I'll have to watch that. I haven't been fining at all for about a dozen brews and very happy with clarity...not bright but certainly not hazy. I wonder if the skimming has something to do with that.

I'm going to stop skimming now, I cant' see a definatively good reason to continue plus I figure I'll get more efficiency out of my gas burner. I'll keep an eye on clarity, particularly in my house brew and will report back...eventually

Cheers

Latest posts

Back