To Skim Or Not To Skim?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakub76

Reaction score
I used to skim all of the foam off the top of the wort while boiling in the kettle, I read somewhere that it was protiens that should be removed just like the hot break etc. However listening back to the Brew Strong episode on Head Retention they suggested not to skim it as that protien could go back into the beer and help aid head retention. I'm sure I read somewhere that froth will only form once so I'm not really sure which way to go.

Last brew I did change my process to not skim, I'm interested to see if it does effect my head retention. It did seem to effect the vigour of the boil, keeping heat in and making for a more intense boil.

Do you skim?

Don't skim and never have. Although do lose some froth when I'm not paying attention and have a boil over.

Didn't even realise people did skim.

As far as I know, the major concern with the protein gunk is in regards to haze in the beer. As proteins react with polyphenols over time, it will cause protein haze, especially after some time in the bottle when oxidative reations have increased the level of polyphenols, allowing more protein chains to form. The removal of these proteins during the boil reduces the amount/likeliness of protein haze formation in beers. If you are not concerned with clarity, or use other methods to remove protein from the beer, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you are not concerned with clarity, or use other methods to remove protein from the beer, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Doesn't boiling and cooling precipitate protiens as hot and cold break?

On the weekend I got my first ever serious hot break as far as I can tell. Normally I don't have much to speak of but this time it was a putrid looking mess. Not sure if it's because I used Pilsner malt or because I mashed lower, but I skimmed about half of it off to hedge my bets.

i used to until i thaught... macro breweries dont and mico breweries dont. So, why am i? :icon_cheers:

I do, only because it keeps the boil in check.

And the dog loves to lick it off the concrete as I do it.

Skimmed once... Made no difference so never skimmed again. I got perfectly beer then as i do now.

4* makes a good point.

would love to see you standing over a stinking hot kettle fents skimming the hot break. :lol:

im sure it would be good for your skin!

not as funny as it sounds mate...not to do with skimming but in our kooinda kettle we have 2 massive elements - think they are 15KW each - anyways in the old brewery we could never just switch one off when it came to the boil, they were hard wired in. So as soon as it came to the boil one of us (usually mick or me) would have to stand on a ladder with our massive mash paddle and do what we would call " tame the beast "...that is to stir furisouly for an hour so it didnt boil over. Afterwards you would be coated in HOP SWEAT. Go home and finally sit on the couch and the missus would not sit withing a 2m radius until after a shower.

luckily we have on/off switch's in the new place. never realised how bad it was not having switch's until we moved in and had them, now we can just walk away until the next hop addition.

not as funny as it sounds mate...not to do with skimming but in our kooinda kettle we have 2 massive elements - think they are 15KW each - anyways in the old brewery we could never just switch one off when it came to the boil, they were hard wired in. So as soon as it came to the boil one of us (usually mick or me) would have to stand on a ladder with our massive mash paddle and do what we would call " tame the beast "...that is to stir furisouly for an hour so it didnt boil over. Afterwards you would be coated in HOP SWEAT. Go home and finally sit on the couch and the missus would not sit withing a 2m radius until after a shower.

luckily we have on/off switch's in the new place. never realised how bad it was not having switch's until we moved in and had them, now we can just walk away until the next hop addition.

sounds like you needed some antifoam! ;)

now i know what that special flavour is in kooinda. Essence de Fentos! :p

sounds like you needed some antifoam! ;)

now i know what that special flavour is in kooinda. Essence de Fentos! :p

Hmmm, needs more dawg...

250px-RedTickBrewery.jpg

I used to, but not now except a bit to stop boil overs. I have much better head retention and lace (re beer). Wasn't looking for it, just wonder why the change then made the connection. Only my experience.

Another one of those situations where I do something without really knowing or at least remembering anymore why I do it :)

I skim a lot, boil for probably 30 mins before adding hops and skim several times. Stir the wort after it stops leaving hard stuff on the surface and more "stuff" forms to skim, then stir again 5 mins later, etc.
This way I loose at least 5 dl of wort but when adding hops I have no more stuff gathering and becoming "hard" on the surface.

I thought this was the way to go, never considered if breweries do this or not.

Am I wasting my time?

thanks
Bjorn

Hello my name is Brad, I make beer and I am a skimmer :( . Cant help myself every time I brew I have to skim, guess it is just a habit. My brews end up bright and often get asked if I filter. In my head I like to think the skimming prevents hazy beers but I really have no idea why I do it to be honest.

Brad

I skim just about every time. When I push my system to the limits I have to, to avoid a boil over. I have an 80L pot and start with 71L pre boil. When it starts to boil and the foam starts, if I dont skim, it will boil over for sure. If I am doing a smaller batch, which wont boil over, I dont bother. Either way, there is no difference in the end product.

Having said that, I am about to be the new owner of this baby :beerbang:

New rig

You lucky ******* McKenry. Seen that rig in action at Chap Chaps. Then I went back to my very manual pots on tables/desks set up, which they made me use outside away from the real rigs, fcukin Ag snobs B)

You lucky ******* McKenry. Seen that rig in action at Chap Chaps. Then I went back to my very manual pots on tables/desks set up, which they made me use outside away from the real rigs, fcukin Ag snobs B)

Ha, cheers mate. Yep, no more lifting eskys, moving shyte around...

I started off a skimmer and IIRC was pulled up by a brewer (I think it was Ross?) as to why do it. So since then haven't done it which has not effected my beers at all.

Hello my name is Brad, I make beer and I am a skimmer :(

....Then I went back to my very ANTIQUE manual pots on tables/desks set up, which they made me use outside away from the real rigs, fcukin Ag snobs B)

You only get put outside because you smell :lol: .

Latest posts

Back