Throw Out Your Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaiser..at last..a sensible reply !

K

Did you read Kai's post where he addressed every point you made with a counterpoint?

To add -

#no chill enables me to make starters using exactly the same wort I'm fermenting.
#No chill enables me to use the yeast I want if my starter doesn't fire rather than needing to compensate because I have to pitch within a short timeframe.
#No chill saves water. You mentioned it but I think dismissively and for a lot of people in this country, it's actually a very important issue.

As for DMS - since you've never actually no-chilled and thousands of people have and report no DMS issues, how can you claim, with any justification, that it is a common issue (common enough that it's worth mentioning )?

this thread is stupid and i feel stupid for having read it

Kaiser..at last..a sensible reply !
The figures I used were from (or extrapolated from) the current Zymurgy not from my personal figures, though they seem fine to me..my current set up, 2 x pumps in parallel recirculating whirlpool immersion chiller gets my 50l from just sub boil to sub 35C in about 8 minutes in January in Canberra, after that the temp drop is not so good, none the less I fit inside the square.
Ramping the flow up..yes...read the article

K

So what do you do with the hot wort while you wait for it to get to pitching temp?

I do both, I have a CFC that i made for about $100 when i first started AG brewing and a little bit later i got myself some cubes.

Personally I prefer my beers that I have used the CFC on, the hop flavors and aroma's are brighter, I know there are ways of getting that with no chill, which i should try sometime down the track to see. For me it is more convenient to use my CFC but if something unforeseen happens i can always no-chill, I'll use my CFC about 95% of the time, I like to be able to pitch my yeast at the end of the brewday and not have to come back to it.
I say try both if you can and find out what suits you the best, no chill has its place, after all how would you be able to have a big social brewday and have everyone take home some wort with out it, but chilling has it's pace too.

cheers matho

I have neither a wort chiller or do I cube...... after ading the yeast in too early a couple of batches ago all I do now is to strain my finished wort into my fermenter, add 20 ltrs of water to it, put the top on then leave it in my fermenting fridge set at 18 until it comes down to 20 then add my yeast........ is there a problem doing it this way??? I'm a bit new to partials and take great interest in what you guys say but I can't see a problem this way.

I have neither a wort chiller or do I cube...... after ading the yeast in too early a couple of batches ago all I do now is to strain my finished wort into my fermenter, add 20 ltrs of water to it, put the top on then leave it in my fermenting fridge set at 18 until it comes down to 20 then add my yeast........ is there a problem doing it this way??? I'm a bit new to partials and take great interest in what you guys say but I can't see a problem this way.

How long does it take to get to pitching temperature?

Chilling relies on a short amount of time between finishing the boil and pitching the yeast, which means that the yeast can colonise the wort before anything else.

NC relies on the temperature of the hot wort sterilising the cube to ensure that nothing colonises it before you pitch the yeast.

The problem with your method is that a fridge might be a slow way to cool down wort, and your lag time might be long enough to allow for infection. If it's less than, say, 8 hours you might be ok, but any longer I'd be looking at working out a way to cool it down quicker.

+1 for time factor and less water usage, especially when living in an apartment and dont have a water tank or garden to recycle/reuse the chilling water

the 10L or so used to clean a cube is totally worth it...

plus the convenience of being able to ferment whenever youre ready takes the cake

Sponge

There might be a correlation between those who like to chill and tap water temps, up in the blue mountains where i live, in summer the tap water temp is about 20 - 22 deg and in winter it gets down to about 10 deg. With my CFC i can get to about 4 deg of the tap water temp at a chill rate of 24l in 15min, so in winter i can get to ale temps straight away and lager temps is just a couple of hours in the fridge, in summer i mainly do ales which agains is just a couple of hours in the fridge. I know that if i had to start f@%king around with pre chilling then no chill would look more attractive

cheers

I do both, I have a CFC that i made for about $100 when i first started AG brewing and a little bit later i got myself some cubes.

Personally I prefer my beers that I have used the CFC on, the hop flavors and aroma's are brighter, I know there are ways of getting that with no chill, which i should try sometime down the track to see. For me it is more convenient to use my CFC but if something unforeseen happens i can always no-chill, I'll use my CFC about 95% of the time, I like to be able to pitch my yeast at the end of the brewday and not have to come back to it.
I say try both if you can and find out what suits you the best, no chill has its place, after all how would you be able to have a big social brewday and have everyone take home some wort with out it, but chilling has it's pace too.

cheers matho

same here, but if i forget to make the ice for the pre-chiller then it's slow no chill in a cube because the temp of the bore water is pretty warm.

cfc bling is blingy though.. :icon_cheers:

100_3810.jpg

mate I don't know which i like to look at more, your avitar or that beautiful CFC you have

what avatar ?

i didn't leave the webcam on again did i ?

same here, but if i forget to make the ice for the pre-chiller then it's slow no chill in a cube because the temp of the bore water is pretty warm.

cfc bling is blingy though.. :icon_cheers:

100_3810.jpg

Or yea !

One of those chillers hey? ;)

...To add -

#no chill enables me to make starters using exactly the same wort I'm fermenting.
#No chill enables me to use the yeast I want if my starter doesn't fire rather than needing to compensate because I have to pitch within a short timeframe.
#No chill saves water. You mentioned it but I think dismissively and for a lot of people in this country, it's actually a very important issue.

As for DMS - since you've never actually no-chilled and thousands of people have and report no DMS issues, how can you claim, with any justification, that it is a common issue (common enough that it's worth mentioning )?

+1 fella. fwiw I will often crank out 2+ brews in a day, then ferment at my liesure, when my starters are ready to pitch, etc, and when my fridges are available.

I rarely use my plate chiller.

Another no-chiller here. It may not be the perfect world for the beer itself, but it allows me to brew a 100L batch, but only ferment 2 x 25L at a time. And as a bonus the 2 fermentors are rarely full of the same beer, rather than being hit with 100L of 1 style of beer.

QldKev

External: 860Wx890Hx550D
Internal: 730Wx730Hx410D
Hump: 180Wx170H

4 corneys on the floor. Bottle and 1 keg on the hump, with sleeve.

These measurements are not exact. give a +/- 10mm to most of them. My tape measure sucks, and I've never been one for accurate measurements at the best of times.

This is the H215X

I wish Darren was here...

I no chill, I have all the bits and bobs to build an immersion chiller and will probably get around to it this year

It's appreciable that certain styles benefit greatly from chilling more so than others

No chilling for me is a convenience thing with respect to timing of fermentation and building up a bunch of FWK to ferment

Cheers

another no chill thread. wow. as far as i can see the only poeple who like to bag out on no chill are those that have never tried the method. the text books say this that or the other and so on. i say get your head out of a text book and try it for yourself and all the bullshit really doesnt pan out. i brew pale rice lagers all the time and no signof dms yet except for the aroma coming out of the kettle in the first ten minutes of the boil. maybe im no chilling wrong,or im so affected by botulism i just cant smell or taste dms any more. i mean with the absolute lack of hop flavour and aroma it must really stand out if its there right?

Back