The Vicelore Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked into the shelving units but coudnt decide on width, height etc. so i went a custom job.

Cheers Vice

Hmmm, hatching plan here.....shelving unit + angle grinder to build some custom-sized modules could be the go....nice work vicelore, I'm in the market for a better brewing station setup, so this could be the ticket B)

I bought similar metal shelves for the garage at Bunnings a few months back for about $20 each. A couple of them sliced down the middle, with adjustable shelves for burners and a taller shelf unit for HLT could work out well. Do you have any lifting devices to hoist heavy vessels up into place?

Julez

Good to hear iv inspired someone..

As for moving it only plans are me and a mate lifting.

My HLT wont move, i want to have a water line going dirrectly into it with sight gauge and electric elements on timers/controllers mounted. The MT and kettle will be fairly low down so will be pretty easy to lift off.

Cheers Vice.

Hence the Uni-Strut (a.k.a. Mecanno) construction. I can pretend I'm a child again for the nuts and bolts. No drilling for me. Nice little demo on that page.

Hi QuantumBrewer,

Uni-Strut looks great, but that website is a little flaky. Can (and did) you buy framing from them for smaller applications like this? How is their pricing compared to the stuff at Bunnings?

Cheers

Breezy

Hi QuantumBrewer,

Uni-Strut looks great, but that website is a little flaky. Can (and did) you buy framing from them for smaller applications like this? How is their pricing compared to the stuff at Bunnings?
As per this post in a different thread - all my uni-strut was 'off-cuts' donations. If you happen to know anyone who works with metal, see what they can find out about getting some cheap, otherwise I'd recommend something weldless from Bunnings.

I just liked the animation on the website.

Just drew up a rough plan of what i was thinking.

Brewstandsketchup.jpg

One note of mention: you will generally require some form of heat shield between your TUN and Kettle if you choose to situate them side by side as you've planned above esp. if the TUN will be an insulated keg or esky. I brewed on a similar setup before moving to a two tier with HLT in center at top tier, TUN at left and Kettle right (same lower tier)- and still use a heatshield left of kettle so that the center area under TUN can safely utilise my insulated HERMS, etc.

reVox

edit: clarification

One note of mention: you will generally require some form of heat shield between your TUN and Kettle if you choose to situate them side by side as you've planned above esp. if the TUN will be an insulated keg or esky. I brewed on a similar setup before moving to a two tier with HLT in center at top tier, TUN at left and Kettle right (same lower tier)- and still use a heatshield left of kettle so that the center area under TUN can safely utilise my insulated HERMS, etc.

reVox

edit: clarification

Thats a bloody good point. I might have to test some setups to see if i can stop the heat from the Nasa.

Cheers Vice

Just for cost comparison sake, the brewbot cost $15 in angle iron from the local scrap dealer, and started out pretty:

1365239243_efb173ce9f.jpg

but then I decided I could have it take up less space and require less plumbing:

2238630574_04ff9a0345.jpg

Hacked it in half and stacked the hacked off bit on top.

I loves my MIG and angle grinder :)

Looks the goods man.

I never thaught of putting the HLT up the top.

Do you have problems with t kettle flame heating the side of your MT man ? i dont see any shielding. Actualy i cant see a burner .. is it electric ?

Cheers Vice

OT: Rotate Image Firefox plugin here.
I use it all the time with AHB posted photos. Just a right click and rotate CW.
No disrepect intended to Zizzle.. just a funky sidetip that crossed my mind when I saw the sideways photo.
Plug in is for end user.

OT: Rotate Image Firefox plugin here.
I use it all the time with AHB posted photos. Just a right click and rotate CW.
No disrepect intended to Zizzle.. just a funky sidetip that crossed my mind when I saw the sideways photo.
Plug in is for end user.

that is an awesome plugin - thanks for the tip reVox!!

Good to hear iv inspired someone..

Mate, you've not only inspired, but I've gone and built it. Gave up the brew option in favour of building a stand yesterday. This was exactly what I was looking for (given my inability to weld). I'll stick a few pics up later on, but just wanted to say thanks! Man, I love this place!

Mate, you've not only inspired, but I've gone and built it. Gave up the brew option in favour of building a stand yesterday. This was exactly what I was looking for (given my inability to weld). I'll stick a few pics up later on, but just wanted to say thanks! Man, I love this place!

Dude thats awesome.

Chuck up some pics !! Cant wait to seem them.

Cheers Vice.

What section of Bunnings is this stuff in and what do i ask for if i cant find it? was there the other day but being a typical bloke i dont really look properly i just expect it to be there in front of me

Just ask them where the "metal mate" slotted angle iron is. I know in the local one it is very near the fencing gear.

How are people mounting their burners to a brew rig?

What are you using around the burner to shield it?

BOG

I havent got to that part yet.. But i was thinking i will bolt mine onto supports outlined in my diagram. About the heat shield im not sure.

Ill have to wait till iv got them mounted and see how much heat there is comming from the burner.

Cheers Vice.

PS Maple get those pics up!! looking forward to seeing them.

Again, thanks for the inspiration B)
IMG_5627.jpg IMG_5628.jpg
IMG_5632.jpg IMG_5633.jpg

Maple,

how much was that to setup? I assume Bunnings was the supplier.

BOg

Hi Maple

Can you also please give us the meaurements? (L x H x W)

Also, would the Bunnings option be strong enough to do the tall rig (ie grav feed???)

Like here??

Cheers

Maple,

how much was that to setup? I assume Bunnings was the supplier.

BOg
~250 all up(can be done cheaper if you buy the longer lengths) for 10 lengths of 1.8m + bolts + castor wheels

Hi Maple

Can you also please give us the meaurements? (L x H x W)

Also, would the Bunnings option be strong enough to do the tall rig (ie grav feed???)

Like here??

Cheers
measurements are 1800(L) x 500(H) x 400(W). As for the vertical rig, it just depends on how you engineer it, but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back