The New Inventors - June 11: Home Brew Sediment Reducer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope Newguy, and never will.
I have bottled three years a and have no trouble with loosing 30-50 ml of beer when pouring.
Go the kegs.
Plus good beer taste better out of a glass.

There are many forums where posts exceeding a certain number of characters (including spaces) are not accepted as they are presumed to be of a nature designed to create a distraction that detracts against the forum they were posted in.
C'mon Dazza. You'd be the first person to cry conspiracy if that was actually implemented. Not everyone has the ability to insult with such brevity as you.

Mthode Champagnoise is for Champagne not beer.
yup understood. Champagne by definition is for for champaigne.
On topic. I believe that while it is not automatic that clearer = better, coopers, hefeweizens etc. prove this point. I do believe that most styles benefit from it.
I have found that the flavours in my cleared beer stand out more.
THis is not an opinion forced on me by big commercial breweries.

I also believe that most of the posters here aren't the market for this product. I see it being pushed firmly at the K&K, possibly never even heard of this forum, mass homebrew market.

With regards to the quoted bits above.
I don't agree.
DeuS is just one beer produced using the method described above. It is just that, a method. It is described so primarily so that sparkling wines produced using this method can be identified as such, because by law only those from the Champagne (sp?) region can be described as Champagne, but any sparkling wine can be produced using Methode Champagnoise, and indeed, so can beer, and, more than likely, so could any yeast fermented alchololic beverage.
Homebrewers have also successfully produced beer using this method.

The few bottles I set aside for comps (I keg my beer) all get a thin layer/dusting of yeast around the side of the bottle, not just the bottom. There's not much on the sides, but there's definitely some. I think that in order for these things to catch all the yeast that you'd need to swirl them a few times and hope for the best.

Has anyone actually tried using one of these things?

"Tried using one of these things"? Are you insane? I just spent a couple of hours reading that they`re a waste of time and money- 4 pages of it, in fact. I t must be right.
I suppose I could buy one and find out for myself but if I`m tempted to part with $5 I`ll just reread the 4 pages. <_<

just a bump on this, boys and girls

old_brewers1.jpg

I saw it. Might buy a few for special bottles but at $5 a pop when you have 4 or 5 brews of 30 bottles stored it is not a great way to spend $600 plus. Might be good to collect yeast for starters though.

well, they're $3-$4 ea, but that's not important ;) The woman brought up the issue of price, which is always a problem.

Though what were they talking about, "it can be used to get sediment out of oil"??

Batter crumbs out yer fish'n'chip oil? :blink:

well, they're $3-$4 ea, but that's not important ;) The woman brought up the issue of price, which is always a problem.

Though what were they talking about, "it can be used to get sediment out of oil"??

I think they meant it could be developed for tasks like that, although afaik, in industrial applications water traps have spiggots to release water and sediment. A removable valve-locked receptacle might have other applications tho.

I'm just stuck on the price. You'd want at least two batches worth, I reckon, so 70 or thereabouts. So the economics just don't work out. The inventors didn't convince me. I also prefer roll-top bottles, so... um doesn't work for me at all. Maybe they could make a PET version so the n00bs with the Coopers PET bottles buy them up?

I watched the show and they came across as mad passionate home brewers.Who else would say they spent over 100k to pour clear beer.At least there product is reusable so if your keen to give it a go then its initial cost evens out over time.

Cheers
Big D

I thought it was an elegant solution to the "problem" of sediment in the pour. I usually bottle a few from each brew as samplers and I'd part with a few bucks to see what the results are like. I recommend they be kept in a locked display cabinet though given the violent reaction they provoke. I think some of the participants here have been over-primed and appear to have exploded in the cupboard. :)

"I like the design, it'll go well with my handbag, and I think it'll Revolutionise the Industry, though I'm interested to see how you'll solve the problem of there being nowhere to keep your fish."

+1 on the cost factor....if they where less than $1, would give them a go

BUT....I do like the idea that it easly traps the yeast if you want to re-use it and make starters... :)

Note...Your not a real man unless you have drank warm VB and cheap port on the river bank whilst fishing...

On topic. I believe that while it is not automatic that clearer = better, coopers, hefeweizens etc. prove this point. I do believe that most styles benefit from it.
I have found that the flavours in my cleared beer stand out more.
THis is not an opinion forced on me by big commercial breweries.

I also believe that most of the posters here aren't the market for this product. I see it being pushed firmly at the K&K, possibly never even heard of this forum, mass homebrew market.

With regards to the quoted bits above.
I don't agree.
DeuS is just one beer produced using the method described above. It is just that, a method. It is described so primarily so that sparkling wines produced using this method can be identified as such, because by law only those from the Champagne (sp?) region can be described as Champagne, but any sparkling wine can be produced using Methode Champagnoise, and indeed, so can beer, and, more than likely, so could any yeast fermented alchololic beverage.
Homebrewers have also successfully produced beer using this method.

Indeed
It doesn't matter what the product is, if it it is treated in this manner in the region of Champagne then it is Methode Champenoise.... if it is done elsewhere then it is Methode Traditionale
So Deus (which is finished at Moet) is Methode Champenoise -even though it is beer
...excatly the same product done here would be Methode Traditionale

edit to fix up odd grammer stuffs and a self contradictory mistake :blink:

Indeed
It doesn't matter what the product is, if it it is treated in this manner in the region of Champagne then it is Methode Champenoise.... if it is done elsewhere then it is Methode Traditionale
So Deus (which is finished at Moet) is Methode Champenoise -even though it is beer
...excatly the same product done here would be Methode Traditionale

edit to fix up odd grammer stuffs and a self contradictory mistake :blink:

Ah, there you go. I thought the method was so named so as to distinguish the method, rather than the region.
So you could make a sparkling wine elsewhere using Methode Champenoise, but not call it Champagne.
So I was partially right.

Couldn't agree with you more about the Coopers Darren, it is the best beer from a large brewery in the country. No contest. I don't like the Pale, but the Sparkling is an absolute classic..... and when they roll mine around on the bar, I ask them politely to put it back in the fridge and pour me a clear one.
In SA we'd string you up for that! ;) If the coopers arrives at my table in a restaraunt opened and un-rolled I send that bad boy back! It happened in an Indian restaurant recently and there were 3 coopers drinkers who all sent our beers back with a long and boring lecture to the waiter about yeast, flavour, tradition and consitency.

...3 coopers drinkers who all sent our beers back with a long and boring lecture to the waiter about yeast, flavour, tradition and consitency.
And did you enjoy the waiter's spit in your food?

I thought the inventors were a dedicated pair(to solving a problem).If it isn't a success they may be so disappointed they may take to the drink.
While the beer in the glass bottles looked clear I,as a brewer with over 260 full 740ml Coopers PET bottles ,will not be buying as I don't get a lot of sediment (at least two weeks in fermenter and gelatine) and for the following reasons.

1. The device adds several centimetres to the height of the bottles.This means that the bottles would not fit in my storage cupboards.

2.I don't know how my plastic bottles would react to being stored upside down for 6 months.

3.Even if items 1 and 2 were not problems I would not be interested in paying over 50c a device.

However it is always good to see new ideas coming up and I wish the inventors well.

Back