The New Inventors - June 11: Home Brew Sediment Reducer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, there you go. I thought the method was so named so as to distinguish the method, rather than the region.
So you could make a sparkling wine elsewhere using Methode Champenoise, but not call it Champagne.
So I was partially right.
ahhh .... kinda .... it has to be in Champagne the region to be called Method Champonoise otherwise the exact same thing is Methode traditionale.
Controlled Apellation-
Region- Champagne
Method- Method Champonoise
Product - Champagne

Region- Elsewhere
Method- Method Traditionale
Product - Sparkling Wine / Cider / Beer

In SA we'd string you up for that! ;) If the coopers arrives at my table in a restaraunt opened and un-rolled I send that bad boy back! It happened in an Indian restaurant recently and there were 3 coopers drinkers who all sent our beers back with a long and boring lecture to the waiter about yeast, flavour, tradition and consitency.

I would have asked the waiter for a glass to pour it into. That way you don't waste the precious beer, or get spit in your food.

ahhh .... kinda .... it has to be in Champagne the region to be called Method Champonoise otherwise the exact same thing is Methode traditionale.
Controlled Apellation-
Region- Champagne
Method- Method Champonoise
Product - Champagne

Region- Elsewhere
Method- Method Traditionale
Product - Sparkling Wine / Cider / Beer

I was with you, but obviously didn't make it clear in my response...
I had thought the method could be used anywhere and called Champonoise, but only the product from the region called Champagne, but I understood from your post that this wasn't the case.
So we are going around in circles a little.
The partially right statement I meant about using the method for non-Champagne products.

Perhaps we need the conversational equivalent of the sediment reducer to make things nice and clear :p

I would have asked the waiter for a glass to pour it into. That way you don't waste the precious beer, or get spit in your food.
Best of both worlds really. We eat there all the time, he was new so he didn't know any better. As regulars we get great service and food - must be the top quality spit they save just for us!
(sorry we are way off topic now)

I don't keg, so all my batches are bottled and no matter how clear they are before going into the bottle from CC, gelatine, polyclar and filtering nearly all will have a deposit that clings to the 'sides" of the bottle and will not settle out as they carb up.
I watched him tap the sides of the bottle in order to prevent this and thats where they lost me, it just doesn't work, not even swirling bottles around will shift it sometimes and then all your doing is stirring it all up again anyway.

BB

In SA we'd string you up for that! ;) If the coopers arrives at my table in a restaraunt opened and un-rolled I send that bad boy back! It happened in an Indian restaurant recently and there were 3 coopers drinkers who all sent our beers back with a long and boring lecture to the waiter about yeast, flavour, tradition and consitency.

Well when you only have one brewery of note in SA it's not surprising you're protective of it ;)

Personally I don't rate Coopers at all, but it seems I'm outvoted on this forum...

So too sum up 5 pages,at $5 per item they are the devil's own spawn.
But at $1 per item,they not a bad idea? :p

I tend to agree,sole proprietor operators tend to have the very best bean counters in the business <_<
Even the big multi national brewerys are employing SWMBO,as a permenant position.

Kudos to anyone trying an elegant solution to problems,I'll certainly buy a couple for trial purpose.I mainly keg, but like to bottle some for convenience.

I think I'm just re-iterating whats been said. I like the idea but to be commercialy viable they need a better retail price. I think the main market will limited to the fathers day special where the husband gets six of them.

QldKev

I think I'm just re-iterating whats been said. I like the idea but to be commercialy viable they need a better retail price. I think the main market will limited to the fathers day special where the husband gets six of them.

QldKev

Please tell my daughter and son I'd be happy to have six of them for father's day.

I don't think they are viable for use on every screwtop stubbie and longneck, due to the total cost involved.

However, I can see no reason not to use them on one or two of each batch.

I can envisage where I could do that, and then take the whole contraption off, then crown seal a bottle or two prior to taking them to a BYO, for example.

And after all is said and done here, they have had a bucket load of us talking about it and getting their product out in the open.

All the talk on here is still going to get some people to buy them, and thats what they want, and the cost to them for this??? NOTHING, free advertising for them, can't get any better than that.

are missing a real big issue here? how much sediment do the majority of you get that it would warrent these sediment reducers? I dont even rack and the amount of sediment I get is so minimal isnt not worth worrying about.

agreed that if they want it to be commercially viable then they have to be cheaper.

are missing a real big issue here? how much sediment do the majority of you get that it would warrent these sediment reducers? I dont even rack and the amount of sediment I get is so minimal isnt not worth worrying about.

I couldn`t agree more with that. As I only do ales,in primary for a week around 18*, then sit for another 7-14 days around 14-16* then bottle, there is bugger all sediment and after being in the bottle 3 weeks they are as clear as.
{I don`t bother with 2ndary any more either}

stagga.

Am i right in thinking that these only fit twist tops? If so, how many brewers bottle with twist tops? When I bottled it was always roll tops (had 100s of 'em) or swing tops.

...because it's such a terrible nuisance having to pour your homebrew before you drink it. You risk smelling that god-awful "aroma" that beer is notorious for.

This IMHO is the philisophical issue as well.
If you plan on home brewing beer with little or no malt and hop aroma just like most of the commercial brewers do and disengage the nose then drinking out of the bottle makes sense, but then you have to ask why?

Whats your primary focus in brewing in the first place, to make cheap beer? If so these things are not cheap!
If its to make good beer as most here would be then drinking from a glass engaging the senses is all part of the experience.

BB

QUOTE (brendanos @ Jun 8 2008, 08:43 PM)
...because it's such a terrible nuisance having to pour your homebrew before you drink it. You risk smelling that god-awful "aroma" that beer is notorious for.

I actually drink some of mine straight from the longnecks (when im out for a walk/stroll with the dog). provided you are paying attention to how you make your beer, carefully bottling etc, sediment is negligible. and what sort of beer are you making that has a "god-awful" aroma?!

People say sarcasm is hard to read, but I picked it up quite easily there CM!

QUOTE (brendanos @ Jun 8 2008, 08:43 PM)

I actually drink some of mine straight from the longnecks (when im out for a walk/stroll with the dog). provided you are paying attention to how you make your beer, carefully bottling etc, sediment is negligible. and what sort of beer are you making that has a "god-awful" aroma?!

LOL. You walk around the streets drinking from longnecks, you say? :unsure:

stagga.

My idea would be to have one the size of a fermenting drum, then you could use just one per brew (i'm a newbie kit man) instead of 60...then you could just unscrew it, ditch all the sediment and bottle clear beer.....

Damn it Joe....thats a great idea,,,,,,,your a bloody genius......

shout yourself a beer....

Back