The New Inventors - June 11: Home Brew Sediment Reducer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P and C

Is West End worse than Crown/Fosters?

Not in my opinion, all around par. Not a patch on Coopers for flavour

City Morgue,

Mthode Champagnoise is for Champagne not beer. Sorry for being honest in my posts. Just call them as I see them and I am not affiliated with a mega-brewer.

cheers

Darren

Thirsty Boy,

Here you go again, towing the company line, advocating, with verbose prose, a device that does nothing for the flavour of HB but re-affirms to the masses that "clear beer is good beer".

Clearly the first question that needs to be asked in this sort of fractual (given the odd references to some sort of mangling state vs state blood bath of which the only connection to beer , let alone a new invention, is the huge amount of drinking that seems to be its partner)..is have you tried it? Oh..you have not have you..oh of course its not made in Qld, or NSW and it may be made in China, or Asia, who cares you may remark..it is too expensive anyway.
The concept is very simple, the almost same process has been used for hundreds of yeras in the Champagne Houses, it has got through all the various hoops and leaps to even make it to the New Inventors, it by the very act of being on the New Inventors gives press to Home Brewing, adds another bolt, another arrow to the quiver of those who enthusiastically support home brewing, who work rather hard to dredge its image up from the KKK days when frankly, sorry, why bother.
From the fertile fields of AHB spring many great things, and many great businesses as well, all of which put back in to that soil more than they take (and so on), also of course are the mutant genes, the BIAB and such, but the mutants are allowed their time, as they should be.
Is the Sedex machine a mutant, I think not, it makes much more sense than much I have read toted here, yet it seems that without even an examination it is to tossed away by those great and wise some of whom may dream of conical fermentors but would never dream of storing their bots upside down.

K

Clearly the first question that needs to be asked in this sort of fractual (given the odd references to some sort of mangling state vs state blood bath of which the only connection to beer , let alone a new invention, is the huge amount of drinking that seems to be its partner)..is have you tried it? Oh..you have not have you..oh of course its not made in Qld, or NSW and it may be made in China, or Asia, who cares you may remark..it is too expensive anyway.
The concept is very simple, the almost same process has been used for hundreds of yeras in the Champagne Houses, it has got through all the various hoops and leaps to even make it to the New Inventors, it by the very act of being on the New Inventors gives press to Home Brewing, adds another bolt, another arrow to the quiver of those who enthusiastically support home brewing, who work rather hard to dredge its image up from the KKK days when frankly, sorry, why bother.
From the fertile fields of AHB spring many great things, and many great businesses as well, all of which put back in to that soil more than they take (and so on), also of course are the mutant genes, the BIAB and such, but the mutants are allowed their time, as they should be.
Is the Sedex machine a mutant, I think not, it makes much more sense than much I have read toted here, yet it seems that without even an examination it is to tossed away by those great and wise some of whom may dream of conical fermentors but would never dream of storing their bots upside down.

K

Great post :D

City Morgue,

Mthode Champagnoise is for Champagne not beer. Sorry for being honest in my posts. Just call them as I see them and I am not affiliated with a mega-brewer.

cheers

Darren
yup understood. Champagne by definition is for for champaigne. not beer. but there are similarities. Darren your input as like all AHB memerbs is always invited and valued for what it is. Thats whats great about AHB. I just dont think TB is swayued by his affliiation with a megabrewer. just my opinion

I'd say at the foster's part- though I don't find crown detestable, just bland

Funny,

I heard that Fosters Export Lager and Crown were exactly the same beer. Sure there are variations between blended batches but very close in my opinion. Very Close.

P and C. When was the last time you actually tasted a Fosters?? Like most Aussie HBers Fosters would have been the last beer you would have bought because of pre-conceived ideas.

Happy to do a triangle test to see if you can taste the difference?

cheers

darren

Thirsty Boy,

Here you go again, towing the company line, advocating, with verbose prose, a device that does nothing for the flavour of HB but re-affirms to the masses that "clear beer is good beer".

sheez

Darren

EDIT whilst I can: Everyone in Australia knows Coopers is the best flavoured mass produced beer. Funny enough, it is cloudy ;)

Couldn't agree with you more about the Coopers Darren, it is the best beer from a large brewery in the country. No contest. I don't like the Pale, but the Sparkling is an absolute classic..... and when they roll mine around on the bar, I ask them politely to put it back in the fridge and pour me a clear one. I simply don't like the taste of suspended yeast in beers. I'm sorry that my personal preferences don't live up to your demand that everybody like what you like & do as you do before they can be considered a valid brewer. I guess I'll just have to put up with being a know nothing hack with a bad palate, no brewing knowledge and with no chance of ever attaining any success as a homebrewer.

But of course, you are inevitably correct, not only myself in my own home brewing, but also my company and all those other shoddy breweries from Germany and places like that; are engaged in nothing more than marketing spin by producing clear beer. It has no virtue and we should be ashamed of the effort we apply in order to produce a product that would be just as good in every way if it were cloudy. Take heed people, for this is now the TRUTH.
So sayeth Darren

EDIT- BTW - If you are going to insult me by (for at lest the second time now) accusing me of being a company sycophant for "towing the company line..." you might try getting the phrase right in the first place.
http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html
My company is quite large, and even were I so inclined I would have trouble towing it anywhere.

Haysie - neither Spillsmostofit nor I ever suggested that we would be providing the party keg stuff in kit form for sale in G&G. Our workshop day was done as an exercise in homebrew community. We didn't make a profit, we didn't charge G&G to run it and we were never going to try to do either. We were asked on a number of occasions to provide those things on a quasi commercial basis, but refused, preferring instead to spend quite a number of hours of our personal time writing fairly comprehensive guides on how people could do it for themselves for free. Thusly I have no idea whatsoever whether the idea had any commercial merit, and neither do you.

I mentioned the "taylor keg" systems merely because they relate in size to the reason I would consider the new product - ie 4ish litre batches of beverages that I am unable to keg or filter on my current system. I could solve my issue with either thing, but the weird cappy things will do it cheaper and easier. viola, a customer.

I actually suspect that this guy will sell quite a few of these jiggers to the majority of homebrewers out there who brew K&K because its cheap, but who don't like cloudy beer and wish they could drink it out of the stubbie. And if he's not a commercial success because its too expensive or because its not popular enough, that will be a pity rather than a reason to feel good because you never needed the invention in the first place (not suggesting that you personally feel that way) Its quite a good idea, even if it never takes off.

Thats what I reckon anyway, mind you I couldn't brew to save myself, so it probably means nothing

Thirsty

Buggers me.. If I was the invetor and the dude who was just about to invest a shite load of money into manufacturing and marketing this thing, I'd appreciate all the posts in this particular thread. It just happens to be a snapshot of the opinion of the hobbyists I'm targeting with it. Of course, I would also do some market research in other areas, but if the majority response was people 'shutting me down', I'd reckon I'd thank them for saving me a shitload of time and investment dollars.
I totally agree with your reasoning, take the emotion out of this thread and you get a fair idea of whats going to happen to this product.I'm not going to take the shite out of any body for having a good business idea but the home brew market is hard to break into with a new idea and if its going to cost $4.00 a pop , then your going to be pushing it up hill.Good idea but Im not buying it unless I cant do with out it ! Dam it I will buy some , They will be collectibles in a few years.Thats what the wife tells me when she comes home with all the stuff I dont want. :rolleyes:
GB

K

Hey K,

As usual an eclectic post from you that neither introduces discernable fact nor opinion on the subject in topic (Cant expect anything more from Canberra can we).

I could not give a dam whether or not I had to centrifuge my bottles, carry my bottles in a shuttle around the Earth or further beyond (or do the little finger up "Mthode Champagnoise"). Neither do I care if my beer is crystal clear or cloudy.

What I do know is that if it tastes like crap, it is crap. This goes for my beer, your beer, Mega Beer.

What shits me is that the "company line" presents. "Is clear, is good". That is bullshit. All kit beers are clear. Only 1% are good.

So Mr Newbie buys a kit and $100 worth of magic "clearers". Unfortunately, he and his friends dont like his crystal clear HB (because it tastes like kit HB).

Invention in the bin. Homebrew gets a bad name from its taste again :huh:

cheers

Darren

Funny,

I heard that Fosters Export Lager and Crown were exactly the same beer. Sure there are variations between blended batches but very close in my opinion. Very Close.

P and C. When was the last time you actually tasted a Fosters?? Like most Aussie HBers Fosters would have been the last beer you would have bought because of pre-conceived ideas.

Happy to do a triangle test to see if you can taste the difference?

cheers

darren

I know this is really :icon_offtopic: but as you asked, it has been a few years since I last had a Fosters, and many more since I have had a west end. While I haven't done triangular taste tests, I have found WE to simply be incredibly rough and stale tasting. Fosters had a similar 'stale' taste to it. While crownies I can get to the bottom of the bottle like any other megaswill drinker- because the stuff tastes like water. AFAIK crown and fosters are really similar but have different yeasts or something. Or the extra 'staleness' could just be a product of the shite cans they use.

I can attest that TB is the least bit concerned about getting money/gain from his knowledge. at the last caseswap he and spills ran a BIAG demo and he provideed most of the ingredients, labour and know how and diud he want anything from people.....no. I at a last minute request I asked i if could take some withy threst of the guys. 3L later he refused to take any cash and was more than hapy he could offer up knowledge to the community......

Hang on whats the thread topic..... oh yeah sedimen reducer. great idea but too expensive consider racking etc... my last post on this subject,

EDIT: I have tasted both westend and fosters lately. both aboilute shit. yes Overseas fosters is better than Aus fosters but still crap compared to micro, HB or other decent beers.

Hey K,

As usual an eclectic post from you that neither introduces discernable fact nor opinion on the subject in topic

What then was the topic, part of my rant, and be as rant is, was a concern with the low jacking push towards some sort of football if that is what you call it topic.
So far as to what is discernable and what is not, I would leave to the discernable to decide...[insert stupid yellow smiley thing]

K

Couldn't agree with you more about the Coopers Darren, it is the best beer from a large brewery in the country. No contest. I don't like the Pale, but the Sparkling is an absolute classic..... and when they roll mine around on the bar, I ask them politely to put it back in the fridge and pour me a clear one. I simply don't like the taste of suspended yeast in beers. I'm sorry that my personal preferences don't live up to your demand that everybody like what you like & do as you do before they can be considered a valid brewer. I guess I'll just have to put up with being a know nothing hack with a bad palate, no brewing knowledge and with no chance of ever attaining any success as a homebrewer.

But of course, you are inevitably correct, not only myself in my own home brewing, but also my company and all those other shoddy breweries from Germany and places like that; are engaged in nothing more than marketing spin by producing clear beer. It has no virtue and we should be ashamed of the effort we apply in order to produce a product that would be just as good in every way if it were cloudy. Take heed people, for this is now the TRUTH.
So sayeth Darren

EDIT- BTW - If you are going to insult me by (for at lest the second time now) accusing me of being a company sycophant for "towing the company line..." you might try getting the phrase right in the first place.
http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html
My company is quite large, and even were I so inclined I would have trouble towing it anywhere.

Haysie - neither Spillsmostofit nor I ever suggested that we would be providing the party keg stuff in kit form for sale in G&G. Our workshop day was done as an exercise in homebrew community. We didn't make a profit, we didn't charge G&G to run it and we were never going to try to do either. We were asked on a number of occasions to provide those things on a quasi commercial basis, but refused, preferring instead to spend quite a number of hours of our personal time writing fairly comprehensive guides on how people could do it for themselves for free. Thusly I have no idea whatsoever whether the idea had any commercial merit, and neither do you.

I mentioned the "taylor keg" systems merely because they relate in size to the reason I would consider the new product - ie 4ish litre batches of beverages that I am unable to keg or filter on my current system. I could solve my issue with either thing, but the weird cappy things will do it cheaper and easier. viola, a customer.

I actually suspect that this guy will sell quite a few of these jiggers to the majority of homebrewers out there who brew K&K because its cheap, but who don't like cloudy beer and wish they could drink it out of the stubbie. And if he's not a commercial success because its too expensive or because its not popular enough, that will be a pity rather than a reason to feel good because you never needed the invention in the first place (not suggesting that you personally feel that way) Its quite a good idea, even if it never takes off.

Thats what I reckon anyway, mind you I couldn't brew to save myself, so it probably means nothing

Thirsty

Hey Thirsty,

There are many forums where posts exceeding a certain number of characters (including spaces) are not accepted as they are presumed to be of a nature designed to create a distraction that detracts against the forum they were posted in. You seem to post excessively long posts that should perhaps be moderated (If not moderated perhaps a designation such as "CUB employee" should be part of your user name "Group")

I cannot judge your ability to brew over the internet so I have no place to comment on your successes. Suffice to say we all make some good and some bad homebrews. Just because it is clear does not mean it is good. (I cannot drink the last beer I made)

I realise that my posts get into some peoples craw. I believe it is better to keep brewers thinking critically. Otherwise we will all suddenly overwhealmed by long posts that suggest that a $50 carton of Crown is a good deal (even if it does taste like vomit :lol: )

cheers

darren

ummmm, the topic was sediment reducer. sometimes football gets in the way, many many times egos get in the way, other times violins come out too play, but............. group hug maybe. Heyyyy, relax.
Haysie

Hey Thirsty,

There are many forums where posts exceeding a certain number of characters (including spaces) are not accepted as they are presumed to be of a nature designed to create a distraction that detracts against the forum they were posted in. You seem to post excessively long posts that should perhaps be moderated (If not moderated perhaps a designation such as "CUB employee" should be part of your user name "Group")

I cannot judge your ability to brew over the internet so I have no place to comment on your successes. Suffice to say we all make some good and some bad homebrews. Just because it is clear does not mean it is good. (I cannot drink the last beer I made)

sorry Daz TB arent anywhere or antyhing like PistolPatches post (no ofennse PP). his post is adddrssing many differant poitns ans hence longer. its all relevant. hes not a retailer and most people know he's a CUb employee. actually who cares, as IMO he's neutral.

He's ability to brew is great. he is an experimentor and not defined byb his employer. he is an individual brewer as i think 90% of AHB members is (IMHO).

a bit harsh Daz. but keep it coming.

EDIT: Haysie your right!!!!! but im out of HB so i cant relax. in fact its disturbing.

Could these little buggers be good for harvesting yeast from exotic commercial beers? Open the said beer, some gas with come out, maybe add a pinch of sugar and cap it with a Sed-Ex, shake it and leave it upside down for a week or two and Vola, yeast in little pot and exotic beer can be drunk from the bottle. Put some wort in a clean bottle, cap it with used Sed-Ex, shake, remove cap and replace with airlock and here we go.....fancy yeast starter... :D

Could these little buggers be good for harvesting yeast from exotic commercial beers? Open the said beer, some gas with come out, maybe add a pinch of sugar and cap it with a Sed-Ex, shake it and leave it upside down for a week or two and Vola, yeast in little pot and exotic beer can be drunk from the bottle. Put some wort in a clean bottle, cap it with used Sed-Ex, shake, remove cap and replace with airlock and here we go.....fancy yeast starter... :D

I was going to post that I agree with Darren :blink: :huh: :eek: somewhat and that this is not needed. However, the inventor is pushing it to one very specific market: people who want to drink their HB straight from the bottle. Not all yeast tastes as good in suspension as Coopers brewery strain. In fact their kit yeasts taste like crap, so drinking a kit brewer's HB from a stubby is going to be an awful experience. Anyway, all that aside, you can get a complete kegging setup for less than the $500 odd that you'd need to have enough* stock of these gizmos and just fill your party stubbies from the tap/gun. $4 a pop is way to expensive for the intended market. For the idea Brewtus has posted above, tho, a single $4 gadget is not a bad idea. It would pay for itself the first time you use it. However, it only works on "standard twist tops", which would rule out most of the exotic beers whose yeast you might want to harvest. So as I see it, it's a dead invention until the price drops down to under a buck a pop or unless the average brewer out there only takes one six pack a month to somewhere he wants to drink beer from the bottle.

Darren, I have no problem with you making people think critically, and sometimes knowing where a person works can influence what you think of their words and opinions, but there is no need to get personal. Play the ball, not the man.

From a non-homebrewers perspective this may look brilliant.

From our perspective, we KNOW that for the cost of a useful-sized set of these, we could think of x different ways to actually improve the beer they are creating.

To me it just seems too much money to have the small advantage (?) of being able to drink out of the bottle.

The few bottles I set aside for comps (I keg my beer) all get a thin layer/dusting of yeast around the side of the bottle, not just the bottom. There's not much on the sides, but there's definitely some. I think that in order for these things to catch all the yeast that you'd need to swirl them a few times and hope for the best.

Has anyone actually tried using one of these things?

Back