LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON EQUIPMENT TO START HOME BREWING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpskeleton

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am looking to get into home brewing, and have been doing some research into what I will need to get me started, but am looking for confirmation that I have all the necessary bases covered. I have decided to go for a Guten all-in-one system for a variety of reasons, a couple being simplicity and compactness. So I have been wondering about what else I will need to do a complete brew from start to finish, as the last thing I want is to get half way through and realise I'm missing a vital piece of equipment which might take a week to arrive, by which time the brew will be ruined.

So, listed below are the things I know or think I will need. If I am missing anything, please comment and let me know what else I will need to brew.

-Ingredients: Water, malt, hops, yeast and any additives
-Guten system, includes mash paddle and refractometer (https://www.keg-king.com.au/head-brewer-guten-40l-package.html)
-Fermenter, for fermenting beers outside of the Guten in between brews. Decided to go for a 60L plastic (https://www.keg-king.com.au/60l-fermenter-with-tap-airlock-and-grommet.html.html)
-A fridge for storing fermenters

-I understand that many people pour their beer with pressure from kegs or put their beer into bottles once it's ready, however I am happy to pour it straight from the container. Will I be able to do this with the fermenter listed or will i need a pressurised container?

-I've read about needing a temperature controller for controlling temperature (eg. MKII - Temperature Controller (Heat & Cool) [4mm Probe for Distillation] - Alarm Inbuilt | KegLand or Temperature Controller ITC-308 | INKBIRD . Is this necessary with a Guten?)

Please advise me if I am missing something or have included anything which is not needed. I am very eager to start making beer and am confident I will be able to make it happen as long as I have the right equipment. Many thanks

Hi Harps,
I'm also starting out in this hobby and have been doing quite a bit of research into different set ups.
So from what I've learned I can give you basic answers to your questions. Someone with more experience may be able to expand.
1. Ingredients look good.
2. system looks good.
3. Will need to either bottle or keg your beer to dispense. I don't believe you will be able to pour straight from that style of fermenter. You can get pressurised fermenters you can pour directly from,but then you'll need a gas and tap setup.
4. The Guten has a built in thermostat controller so the extra won't be needed, unless you want to use a heat pad or belt to control the fermentation temp.
5. You'll need sanitiser for all your equipment prior to fermenting and bottling/kegging.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Hello guys,

I am looking to get into home brewing, and have been doing some research into what I will need to get me started, but am looking for confirmation that I have all the necessary bases covered. I have decided to go for a Guten all-in-one system for a variety of reasons, a couple being simplicity and compactness. So I have been wondering about what else I will need to do a complete brew from start to finish, as the last thing I want is to get half way through and realise I'm missing a vital piece of equipment which might take a week to arrive, by which time the brew will be ruined.

So, listed below are the things I know or think I will need. If I am missing anything, please comment and let me know what else I will need to brew.

-Guten system, includes mash paddle and refractometer (https://www.keg-king.com.au/head-brewer-guten-40l-package.html)
-Fermenter, for fermenting beers outside of the Guten in between brews. Decided to go for a 60L plastic (https://www.keg-king.com.au/60l-fermenter-with-tap-airlock-and-grommet.html.html)

-I understand that many people pour their beer with pressure from kegs or put their beer into bottles once it's ready, however I am happy to pour it straight from the container. Will I be able to do this with the fermenter listed or will i need a pressurised container?

-I've read about needing a temperature controller for controlling temperature (eg. MKII - Temperature Controller (Heat & Cool) [4mm Probe for Distillation] - Alarm Inbuilt | KegLand or Temperature Controller ITC-308 | INKBIRD . Is this necessary with a Guten?)

Please advise me if I am missing something or have included anything which is not needed. I am very eager to start making beer and am confident I will be able to make it happen as long as I have the right equipment. Many thanks

I would personally roll this out in stages as there is quite a lot to wrap your head around all at once

Stage 1 - Fermenting & Packaging (assume bottles)

Required: Fermenter kit, Hydrometer & tube, PBW or equivalent + Starsan or equivalent, bottling wand, bottles, carb drops etc.
Optional (highly recommended): Fridge + temp controller (my pick ITC308)

For stage one I would get a few fresh wort kits or maybe extract kits under your belt first to get your head around temp control and bottling etc.

Personally, this is where I am at except I chose to Keg from the start so have been setting up all of that + have upgraded to a FermZilla along the way & got a kegerator. Now I am fully ready to continue to all grain (come on tax time)

Stage 2 - Brewing (All Grain)
Guten / BrewZilla / Grainfather etc. etc. + Ingredients

just my 2c

I would personally roll this out in stages as there is quite a lot to wrap your head around all at once

Stage 1 - Fermenting & Packaging (assume bottles)

Required: Fermenter kit, Hydrometer & tube, PBW or equivalent + Starsan or equivalent, bottling wand, bottles, carb drops etc.
Optional (highly recommended): Fridge + temp controller (my pick ITC308)

For stage one I would get a few fresh wort kits or maybe extract kits under your belt first to get your head around temp control and bottling etc.

Personally, this is where I am at except I chose to Keg from the start so have been setting up all of that + have upgraded to a FermZilla along the way & got a kegerator. Now I am fully ready to continue to all grain (come on tax time)

Stage 2 - Brewing (All Grain)
Guten / BrewZilla / Grainfather etc. etc. + Ingredients

just my 2c
This is the same stages I'm doing it in. Fresh Wort kits first to get my head around it, then move to All Grain, small batch 9lt to start and practice with, then move to 20lt batches

If you must have a refractometer then you also must have a hydrometer or when you measure fermenting wort with a refractometer you must know your Original Gravity and consult a chart to find out the true gravity of the fermenting wort.

It sounds like you are jumping completely into the deep end with a reasonable amount of expensive equipment straight away.

All you need to get started in this hobby is a plastic fermenter, available in a kit from any LHBS or online. Start with an extract, or a fresh wort kit. You will need the fermenter later on if you upgrade your system so it's not like the money will be wasted. (Though you do mention pouring straight from the fermenter so I think you would need a pressurised one, I don't have any experience with those.)

The temperature controllers you mention are used by most people to power a fermentation fridge, in which you would put your fermenter.

Hello guys,

1. Welcome to the hobby.
2. If you want jump into the deep end, I say go for it.
3. If you are going to jump in, grab your self a life jacket, How to Brew by John Palmer. First edition is free online at howtobrew.com. even this edition will answer more questions than you know to ask when first starting.

+1 on also getting a hydrometer.

A 60 litre fermenter is a bit big for a 40 litre brewing system. There are 30 litre versions of the same thing which will better suit the 40 litre brewery you're looking at.

If you're going to bottle, you will need bottles, caps, and dextrose for priming. You will also need a capper if going with the crown seal variety.

Did i mention How to Brew by John Palmer?

Let us know how you go with your first batch.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back