The Local Taphouse, Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a call from Jay (jayandcath) who was sitting up at the Taphouse enjoying a taster tray...prick. He was describing the beers blow by blow, just wanted to hang up on the *******, but inquisitiveness got the better of me. Recons he will have to do another taster to get to taste all of the ones he wants to try. Advised him to leave The Razorback Barleywine until last in any case, but I bet he has another in the second taster tray and can't find the door :lol: f.king serve him right.

I know he'll end up drunk dialling me later......not going to answer :lol:

Sounds like someone is miffed that he couldn't be there, well fear not Screwy, if was absolutely terrible. The beers were warm and tasted funny and you simply wouldn't have liked it at all, come to think of it I didn't even know a lot of them...........................

No seriously, IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! I had a fat time, and the prices were very reasonable ($4.50 - $9 for a pot and $8 - $14 for a large from memory, ps was a little dusty)
I met one of the owners, the manager from Melbourne and that will be running the Sydney pub. All great people and I can't wait to get back there for another session.

One thing I would advise, don't pop in for a quick one, go in and have a session.......you won't be disappointed.

Jay

Glad to hear that you lads have got yourselves a nice, new watering hole up north.

I LOVE The Local in Melbs - best beer bar in town, bar none.

Good beers, nice surrounds, friendly and knowledgable staff, great food and yeah, good beers - served well...

Enjoy.

I was blown away last night when I was standing at the bar ordering a beer when I noticed out the corner of my eye that the fridge had bottles of Cantillon Gueuze. I think they may have some bottles left but I did knock a few off.

I went on Friday before the rugby, and then again after the rugby :p

Couldn't help myself

Loved the line up of beers

Kabooby :)

Had the Baron's Honey Bock tonight. very nice & too easy drinking for the % alc ;-) The Hop Mother was also a very good bitter APA. Hopefully they will become seasonals, rather than one off's. The pizza was also suprisingly filling. There is also now a burger on the menu :) Check out the above beers before they disappear.

cheers

Had a chat with manger Guy on the alcapone last friday night. Reflected on Qld "jase' and his introduction to the Taphouse. Anticipate that a few of the southern highlands and Campbelltown brewers will be there for lunch on Saturday 21/3. Anyone who cares to join us will be most welcome.

Cheers, Hoges.

I will try my best to join you if that is OK. Been very keen to get there. Had a great time at their St Kilda branch last year.

I will try my best to join you if that is OK. Been very keen to get there. Had a great time at their St Kilda branch last year.

Hey Barry,

Should see if any of the other ESB guys want to come along.

Kabooby :)

I am trying to get one or two along at least

went to the Taphouse yesterday.. thouroughly enjoyed it!

Started off with the Saison - my virgin Saison experience.. Very nice.
Then had a the burger! NICE!!
Hefeweizen was next
Then the "Growler" Brown Ale.. Interesting beer this one! An Amber APA I would say..
The onto the Wiked Elf Pale. Probably the pick of the bunch for me..
Also tried the Barons Hop Mother.. Hoppy, bitter.. NICE!
Jameison Beast IPA was also on the menu so I had to try one!
Had the Black Wattle Ale by Barons also but my palate was shot by then...
Then had the Feral Barleywine to finish off..

I loved that the place was just about the beer..

And surprisingly, there were more women in there than men! That was a little wierd!

For the information of Barry and the ESB'ers who were thinking of meeting us at the Taphouse this saturday. When checking the train schedules I find that there will be nothing running on the Southern Highlands and East Hill rail lines for the whole of this weekend. There will be buses, but from experience they are a nightmare. So I have spoken with Kabooby and Pumpy and we have decided to put it off till the following saturday 28/3. Hope to see you there.

Cheers, Hoges.

Anyone heading to the Taphouse on Anzac day?
Hear they are having a special day of NZ and Aus beers - 8 NZ beers on tap & 10-12 great Aus beers on tap.
Said to have the Wig & Pen Venom Double IPA
Feral Hophog IPA
Sunshine Coast Dunkelweizen
Matilda Bay barking flamingo Famboise
Flying Horse Durty Angel Porter and more....

Ill be there in the afternoon sometime, hope to meet some of you guys sometime.

The lineup so far is as follows:

NEW ZEALAND
1. Pitch Black Stout (Invercargill)
2. Organic Pilsner (Emersons)
3. Golden Ale (Three Boys)
4. Dakota Dark Schwarzbier (Wigram)
5. IPA (Tuatara)
6. Wobbly Boot Porter (Harringtons)
7. Golden Tusk ESB (Pink Elephant)
8. Stonecutter Scotch Ale (Renaissance)

AUSTRALIA
9. Draught Ale (Stone & Wood, NSW)
10. Venom Double IPA (Wig & Pen, ACT)
11. Hop Hog IPA (Feral, WA)
12. Sunshine Coast Dunkelweizen (QLD)
13. Barking Flamingo Framboise (Matilda Bay, VIC)
14. Dirty Angel Porter (Flying Horse VIC)
15. Vale Ale (McLaren Vale, SA)

i'll be there!!

Anyone know if they reserve tables/areas for larger groups? Thinking of getting a big group together in a few weeks

Is there an enlightened soul that knows if we get the Monday off in NSW?

Back