The Local Taphouse, Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went there Friday. A group of 5, we were there at 4pm, almost first in the door :) We took up residence at a high bench table, closest to the bar, one of only 2 there.

To my palate the Rocks Brewing co.'s 1809 Pale Ale was terrific. The dunkle and hefferweisens I just couldn't get into. Over the course of a few hours we tasted just about everything on the menu boards and then some. Some preferred certain styles over another, and we tended to compare and even share small samples. None of us went with the sampler paddle though. Small beers of 330ml varied from about $4 to $7, large (pint?) from $8.50 to $14.

While I have been looking forward to getting there since I missed getting out the St Kilda venue when I was in Melbourne for the Homebrewing Conference last October, I'd have to say my overall feeling was one of disappointment.

The beers on offer and the range was fantastic. Yes it is expensive, but we expect that, these are class beers, served well in suitable glassware.

The venue itself was quiet from 4pm till about 5.30pm, when the crowd jumped in size and loud music came out of the sound system, which in turn caused people to talk at yelling level, thus increasing the noise level. I'm sure you know the picture.

By 6pm the place was a madhouse. Getting served at the bar became more difficult as a few people took up residence at the main service bar area, effecting reducing the size of the service area by 50%. After an hour or so a staff member moved the stools away but not before there was a solid period of time where getting served took way too long.

The place was wall to wall people, noisy and the old dunnies just don't cope.

I have no idea why they have chosen to only open at 4pm on weekdays. If I go back it is likely to be earlier in the week to see how the place is then. However until the hours are longer it is unlikely I'll return. Same with my 4 friends.

Summary, great beers, overcrowded noisy and chaotic venue

Cheerz Wabster

I agree with you Wabster, fantastic range of beer, friendly staff etc... when it's packed it does go a bit mad, impossible to get a seat if you're not there at opening, and pretty difficult to get a beer when you're a short arse like myself and people are camped at the bar. However, I will be going back as Sydney seems to be lacking in quality beer venues compared to Melbourne from what I've heard. Hopefully seeing the crowds of beer lovers rocking up at the Taphouse will start a bit of a beer revolution in Sydney, and a few similar venues will pop up around the place, pretty sure the demand is there.
Back on the Taphouse, reckon it might be a bit of a nightmare in winter when the place fills up and the doors are closed.... think the only aromas I'll be picking up on will be the sweaty bloke crushed in next to me :p

Can anyone confirm when the taphouse opens during the week?

I'm going there to meet some old school mates this evening. The Darlo list looks fantastic. Can't wait to grab a big pint of Murray's Porter :p~~

Back