The Local Taphouse, Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thinks I'll go for a stroll at lunch and see if it is open.

Pretty nice. I'd probably go for the franziskaner next time though.

Would've loved to try more, but like I said, I'd already hit my quota for the night.

I agree with Pete. An american wheat beer is interesting and would definitely go down well on a hot day, but my preference is for Franziskaner.

I agree with Pete. An american wheat beer is interesting and would definitely go down well on a hot day, but my preference is for Franziskaner.
Come on Glenn,
How did the night pan out after I did the bolt?

Can confirm it is not open until 4pm during the week, and from midday on the weekends. :angry:

Gonna make getting there on the AHB pub crawl difficult.
by the time you hit all the micros and bars that are open early, you would not be able to walk the distance to 'the local'

still peering thru the window, it looks like a nice place for a beer, and you can't beat the selection.....

Just open for lunch during the week, so I can get there.

Can confirm it is not open until 4pm during the week, and from midday on the weekends. :angry:

still peering thru the window, it looks like a nice place for a beer, and you can't beat the selection.....

Was that you with a mate peering through the Windows at about 12:15pm??

Graeme

Was that you with a mate peering through the Windows at about 12:15pm??

Graeme

No it wasn't, but I was there 30 seconds before that.
I saw them have a look around just as I was leaving, to head back to work.

Shame, I was itching to try the beast again, and the barley wine sounded pretty good too.

Josh

You've got me all excited now, I'll be there at about six'ish. After I do the 'Paddington Gift' to reserve my seat for tonight Tah's game.

About 20? beers on tap, all except a squires, the hoe & a leffe are from small/craftbrewers in nsw/vic/wa. That in itself is a great effort ! schmiddies are about $5, pints $9. Kitchen provides finger food, chips aka fritties, mussells $15? & pizzas $13? from memory. a burger or steak could be a good addition to the menu. there is bar on grnd floor & 1st. the latter is more relaxed with rooms with tables sofas etc. big inverted u shaped fonts on both bars :) nice original style decor. staff are green but friendly & keen. I think I had a taste of the barleywine but was very roasty, hence my confusion. mmm My pick of the on tap beers was the Jamison Beast ipa. Like a strong LC :) Doc - its calling you !! ;)

list of beers : http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/2009/...ek-finally.html

edits - more infoz, more senze

Having just walked in the door after two sessions at 'The Local', I must say big thumbs up!! Finally a proper beer bar in Sydney, Redbeard discribes the place and all I can add is the food was excellent for beer food. Highly recommend the salami pizza, the meatballs and fries with mayo were also good. As redbeard said, my mind is a bit confused after the barleywine but the Beast is the go. Although the Murray's Pilsner was a great start before watching the Tah's win.

Word of warning for anyone going next week, it is Mardi Gra on saturday!

I'll be back for sure.

I have 1 week still of working close by (1 of 2 wks notice knocked over). I will have to sample their wares while in the area.

mmm My pick of the on tap beers was the Jamison Beast ipa. Like a strong LC :) Doc - its calling you !! ;)

Cheers Redbeard.
I'm heading into the city today for a bucks evening.
Might have to make a stop at The Local before I meet up with the lads.

Doc

Checked it out yesterday.
Had The Yak, Murrays Pils, Bridge Rd Saison and The Beast.
Had a good chat with the barman and the owners. Great place.

Doc

I'll be heading back on Friday night to bookend another Tah's game. I hope to repeat a very successful Friday night on both the rugby and beer front. I'll be wearing a blue shirt and I'll be there around 1720 before heading back to the footy stadium. Say hi if you see me.

Cheers

Dave

Checked it out yesterday.
Had The Yak, Murrays Pils, Bridge Rd Saison and The Beast.
Had a good chat with the barman and the owners. Great place.

Doc

You talkin' tap or bottle there Doc?

I might head there this Friday berfore the tahs game as well. Just need to make sure I leave enough time to try all the beers :chug:

Kabooby :)

Just had a call from Jay (jayandcath) who was sitting up at the Taphouse enjoying a taster tray...prick. He was describing the beers blow by blow, just wanted to hang up on the *******, but inquisitiveness got the better of me. Recons he will have to do another taster to get to taste all of the ones he wants to try. Advised him to leave The Razorback Barleywine until last in any case, but I bet he has another in the second taster tray and can't find the door :lol: f.king serve him right.

I know he'll end up drunk dialling me later......not going to answer :lol:

Now he's sending me pics of the Beers on Tap Menu Board :(

Latest posts

Back