The cigar thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Fortunately it's old enough to know not to **** middle aged, fat Americans."

StalkingWilbur said:
"Fortunately it's old enough to know not to **** middle aged, fat Americans."
Who work in bars!

Ha ha,

In a gruff sleazy voice: Hmmm so whats the age of consent? Hmmmm. :icon_drool2:

please, I hope they didnt tell him about Thailand et al. I like the Thais (Just not in that way)

:ph34r:

StalkingWilbur said:
I've ordered a humidor but have been told to expect a 3-6 week wait for international shipping and customs.

Can't wait to get it seasoned!
If youve ordered on of the cedar lined ones and marquetry, with quadrant hinges etc. you wont be disappointed. mines super nice.

Yeah, it's Spanish cedar lined. I got a glass top one which is apparently a bit harder to keep stable. Didn't know that until after I bought it. Really looking forward to it though!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407250012.361532.jpg

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_medium-humidors_HUM-75EL.html

El Rey del Mundo, whose name means "The King of the World", FTW.

Had one at a Christmas do for work, when you could smoke a cigar in a pub, and I swear it lasted an hour and a half, and tasted superb.

Also like the Romeo y Julieta Churchills and most of the Cubans, actually

I'm finally home.

Dona Flor Robusto Connecticut and my attempt at Nev's stout. Ive been awake for more than 24 hours and this might knock me out for the count. Blackboard needs updating though.

Getting a little bit of spice on it contradictory to the only review I can find. Flavors are fairly sharp, but not unpleasant. Fairly full body. Construction seems really good.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407305545.476777.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407305698.276192.jpg

jaypes said:
Cohibas are a personal favourite, 2 years back me and a few yanks on a work trip were lazing about in the sun in Mexico - Playa Del Carmen.

They brought back some cigars from a road trip that they insisted were "rolled on the inner thigh of 14 year old virgins"

It was a good afternoon
Story time:

Whilst in Cuba we went to this little rural town called vinales in a really pretty valley surrounded by limestone mountains where they grow tobacco and use cows like they're tractors. One afternoon to seek respite from the tropical heat we went to this resort / hotel nearby, and like a lot of hotels if you buy drinks at the bar you can use their facilities etc. Anyway so SWMBO and I are laying by the pool, sipping Mojito's reading our books.. when the grounds keeper who was raking leaves dropped by and offered me a cigar. Kind of on the sly, while checking to see if anyone was watching. So I said 'muchos gracias senor' and sparked it up. Half an hour later he drops by again, but this time pulls about 5 out of his overalls pocket and pops them down on my table, with a wink and a hand gesture to say he wants something in return. So I slipped him ten convertible pesos (about 12 bucks) and off he went. They were the wonkiest and the most deformed looking cigars I've ever seen! I wondered if he'd rolled them himself.... And I gave him probably the equivalent of his weeks wage for them. Still, they were just smokable and tasty enough. I think I ended up throwing the worst one or two of them out. :lol:

It didnt take long to work out that just about every Cuban you meet has some little sneaky deal going on to earn some extra cash or some kind of goods, just like that guy.

Haha. Can you blame them??

My latest two 'gars.

Dona Flor Puro Mata Fina paired with the West Coast Brewers BA Blonde while watching the Eagles thump those dirty 'pies.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407682363.111437.jpg

Second up was Dona Flor Selecao paired with a case swap Rye APA. These two played together perfectly. I'm approaching the end and I'm going to be so disappointed when it comes.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407682451.277936.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407682483.429878.jpg

Mr Day!!!

How did I miss this thread?!? I suppose I should come on AHB more often...

Normally I'm pairing whisky with stogies, but there are a few beers that I find stand up nicely to cigars.

I love stouts and barleywines with rich Nicaraguan maduro cigars, or Connecticut Broadleaf wrapped sticks. And believe it or not, I think Saisons stand up really well against most Habanos.

Hahah. Welcome :)

It's a pretty new thread. Please get involved. I don't drink spirits much anymore so most of my pairings will be beer based and just experimenting with what I like, but always keen to see what works so I can pair them for friends.

I've chewed through the sampler I got from cigar hut and haven't received my other humidor and cigars I ordered yet. Might have to stop in at Devlin's tomorrow for my last night in town. Any recommendation on something that will pair well with a lighter beer but won't break the bank? Doesn't need to be super cheap, just don't want to pay $50+ for a single premium stick when I know what online prices are like now.

Punch or Romeo y julieta, both good with any beer. Romeo being the pick and a staple as said here.

Stay away from those flavoured things they will not mesh well with beer.

Sweet. I'll grab a Romeo Y Julietta and let you know how it goes.

Cheers, mate.

I find many Cubans have more cream than Romeos but the are a better rolled cigar, they are a standard for taste across a box and a standard for draw. I have in the last 24 months had some duds. Wouldn't draw at all had to lung them all the way wasn't happy. Paul at pacific tobacco, the importer through sol Levi sorted the bad batch.

I have a couple of clay pipes here, care of the Amish. Would this be something your interested in. Trad smoking. I am willing to let one go but no more than that as we are not yanks and the Amish are not rellos. My heritage tells me I can and the gov tells me I can't......

I'm torn between illegally sourcing Baccy for my cigars and importing. I'm about done with both and I may just buy......

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407838526.898060.jpg
Had a Siglo 4 on the way to work at Beaten Track on the weekend. I love the corona gorda vitola.

Romeo Y Julietta #2

Was looking for something that wouldn't break the bank at Devlin's.

Everything the assistant recommended was in the $50+ range despite my aforementioned criteria.

Found this at $24.

Pairs fairly well with the Firestone Walker Wookie Jack, maybe overpowers it a little.

Really good last night in town though.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407848559.545596.jpg

Poor people should have their incomes quarantined so they can't chomp on cigars.

However we know two facts:

Poor people don't usually smoke cigars
They don't smoke them too far down.

Latest posts

Back