The cigar thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StalkingWilbur

Reaction score
After not smoking cigarettes for a few years I have found a new love in cigars and after seeing the stogie thread on HBT I wanted to see if there was enough people smoking cigars to get something similar happening.

This is a Montecrito #2 that I had at the July WA case swap.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406999862.449140.jpg

I'm not really sure what it tasted like, had already had a couple of flavor countries by that point. I do remember it was very enjoyable though!

I've also ordered a humidor online and a few cigars to start my collection. Looking forward to it.

The Sail and Anchor are doing a "Full Rail of Nail" day and have Clout on tap. Going to take a cigar and have a few goblets of Clout when I get back into town, sounds like an awesome day to me!

I love the smell of cigars, more so than I enjoy smoking them.

They won't do much for your taste buds though.

It won't do much for any of your body haha. But after everything I've smoked, the occasional cigar isn't really high on my list of concerns.

I haven't had a cigarette for 10 yrs now but every time I walk past the cigar shop or display stands in SM I always stop and have a smell.Scary stuff really cos it's very tempting.Especially the prices in Manila.Hmmmn!
Think I will stick to drinking beer.I don't mind sharing a beer.

If I had to chose, it would be beer as well.

I actually bought one for a mate to celebrate the announcement of their second pregnancy. Then I was reminded of how retarded I am and that you buy that when the baby is born. So I shared it with him to celebrate anyway. There was a small concern in my mind about it making me crave a cigarette, but I gave up smoking cold turkey easily because I just didn't want to do it anymore so I was pretty sure I would be fine. Hasn't given me any cravings, but I can see how it could lead someone into smoking again.

Ooh I do love a good cigar. Especially with a nice glass of port.
Romeo y Julieta is a personal favourite.

Oh yeah, love a good cigar. Growing up in the States the good Cuban cigars were a real revelation when I came here, since you can't legally bring them into the States. I used to get these black Jamaican gran coronas, can't remember the brand. Huge, dark, sweet, not at all acrid. You could smoke one for the whole day, they were ginormous!

If you're in Melbourne you must check out Baranow's. An awesome place for the delicate collision of fine cigars and fine spirits. They must have a few hundred different cigars to buy.

http://m.au.timeout.com/melbourne/bars/venues/677/baranows-lounge

Before they changed the duty free laws to 50g of tobacco, I used to get H. Upmann corona minors. I still have quite a few in my humidor aging nicely- this thread reminded me to try one soon. An American mate of mine was astounded like Mardoo about smoking real Cubans while he was here.
HUpmann_coronas_Minor_25s_800x800.jpg

If you ever want to trade one, I'll let you know when I get some decent stuff in my collection. Just for a few different sampler packs on their way at the moment and one of the HBT members is sending me a few too.

I bought a packet of 25 Montecristos back with me from Cuba. Smoked the last one about a year ago. Beautiful! It only cost me about $80 I think? from a factory shopfront in Havana. Did a tour of a factory there too, which was....not that exciting tbh. Cohiba and Romeo & Juliet are the other two good brands to try.

I stopped smoking ciggies in 2006, and I don't find that they tempt me back into it. You're not supposed to drag in so I don't think they're as addictive as cigs. I'll be buying up some more when I go sailing in the Caribbean at the end of the year for sure.

Can't beat a good Cuban, I'm a fan of Cohiba, Montechristo, H.Upmann, Punch etc.

A good single malt with a good cigar is one of the best combos, Ardbeg Uigeadahl and a Cohiba Siglo 3, flavour heaven.

I had a montecristo #2 I think back when I was celebrating our first pregnancy, so dont feel bad lol! I have a Curchill waiting for the birth :)

Cant go past Wee Willems Cafe Creme's and some good VSOP or better Cognac. :D

Not a massive cigar man, although I do enjoy one when celebrating an occasion with mates (engagement, wedding, etc).

At home or not out at a pub and with mates (like when I go camping) I enjoy smoking a pipe. The tobacco is still relatively easy to import (under the caps) and I've found the flavours easier to pinpoint compared to a cigar.

Haha I went through a phase of smoking a pipe when I was in my early 20's. Sometimes I would get old guys come up to me asking what tobacco I was smoking, and they would reminisce on their youth when they or their dad's smoked one too.

It was also pretty funny to spark up in a pub (those were the days), and smoke would billow out like out of a chimney and I'd be sitting there in a waft of cloud. Some people clearly didn't like it but they could do nothing but get up and move.

Cohibas are a personal favourite, 2 years back me and a few yanks on a work trip were lazing about in the sun in Mexico - Playa Del Carmen.

They brought back some cigars from a road trip that they insisted were "rolled on the inner thigh of 14 year old virgins"

It was a good afternoon

I know, I was like - whats the minimum age that you are allowed to work down here!

Use to enjoy these with a beer back in the day. Nothing fancy.
Then they suddenly made them toxic for some reason. Put me right off.

Old_Port_Colts_10s_%28md%29.jpg

Possibly a bit off topic, but from ABC News website today..

World War I: Documents from first Allied shot fired reveal missing cigar mystery.

The first shot fired by Allied troops in World War I resulted in a mystery involving missing cigars that remains unsolved to this day.
Australian troops at Fort Nepean in Victoria fired across the bow of a German freight ship, the Pfalz, on August 5, 1914, just hours after Britain had declared war on Germany.

The Pfalz was eventually claimed as a war prize and the officers and crew sent to internment camps.

It was decided the Pfalz’s cargo should be delivered to its intended destination, however newly uncovered documents held by the National Archives of Australia reveal hundreds of European cigars had apparently disappeared from the ship.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-04/ww1-first-shot-documents-reveal-missing-cigar-mystery/5645954?WT.ac=localnews_melbourne

cigar2.png

cigar3.png

I do love a good cigar, and the Cubans are hard to beat.
Cohiba is excellent, but needs to be aged some time to get them to smoke well. They are very tight and hard on the draw when young.
One of my favourites is Montecristo, probably the smoothest of the Cubans, like a Kolsch or Helles is smooth. The No 2 is fantastic, not too long, but a great thick gauge, and it smokes beautifully.
Punch Churchills are great, as are all the Romeo y Julieta and Partagas.
I also like Bolivar, but they are a heavier cigar, imagine an IPA as a cigar and that's Bolivar.
I'm currently working my way through a box of 50 Dutch cigars. Nice easy smoking, but not a patch on the Cubans

Back