The cigar thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StalkingWilbur said:
After not smoking cigarettes for a few years I have found a new love in cigars and after seeing the stogie thread on HBT I wanted to see if there was enough people smoking cigars to get something similar happening.

This is a Montecrito #2 that I had at the July WA case swap.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406999862.449140.jpg

I'm not really sure what it tasted like, had already had a couple of flavor countries by that point. I do remember it was very enjoyable though!

I've also ordered a humidor online and a few cigars to start my collection. Looking forward to it.

The Sail and Anchor are doing a "Full Rail of Nail" day and have Clout on tap. Going to take a cigar and have a few goblets of Clout when I get back into town, sounds like an awesome day to me!
Yeah I remember you stinking up the joint :lol:
One heart attack and I gave up smoking every thing .
Use to like the port tipped cheap crap.
Nev

To be fair, you would've smelt it more than others. I was purposefully exhaling in your direction in the hopes of creating a small ozone of cigar smoke that would have concealed that terrible hat you were wearing, thus saving you from further embarrassment.

Also just remembered about a rather amusing cigar I bought for a mate in the Philippines. Fighting Cock. Not amazing but how could I go past such a name. He's an architect too so kinda fitting I guess.

So far I've got coming:

Drew estate under crown belicoso

Oliva serie v belicoso

Perdomo slow aged Maduro Churchill

Gurkha Wicked indie xo

Xikar hc Maduro Churchill

One Dona Flor Robusto Connecticut

One Dona Flor Selecao Robusto (92 Rating by CA Magazine)

One Dona Flor Puro Mata Fina - Robusto

And a five pack of Blood Red Moon that came as a cheap add on to the humidor I ordered.

Also a fan of the Cohibas,
I really only do it a couple of times a year, but i really do enjoy those times

I'm smoking a home grown and rolled stogie as I read this thread, 2011 crop. It's a mix of TA red leaf, Shirey and little Dutch with shade grown Florida Sumatra wrapper.

I often roll cigartelos to smoke at work, look like a wee willem, a small and quick smoke. Is there a pipe thread also?

If you ever want to trade something, I'd be interested in trying that!

Will sort you out, pm on the way. It is still legal to import loverly cigar tobacco but you will have to pay the tax on it. Importing small amounts, up to 1k inc tax works out well considering the cost of many cigars and the small gram weight. Rolling is learned but relatively straight forward, you don't need a Cuban virgins thighs to roll a great smoke.

If you break down a ciggy to 0.7 grams of tobacco and a reasonable cigar like a romeo y julietta no 3 it's a bit of a government **** up as the cigar has less tobacco than a packet of 25's the initial cost is negligible, most is tax and the mark up in the shops. Last time I was in parramatta I picked up a case of Romeos without the ugly green shit the gov now makes them have on the tubes, old stock humidored, beautiful cigs. Were half the price of local merchants when buying by the single.

Yeah! Cubans! :icon_drool2:

I'm not sure if I should post the link here so PM me if you want the website address.

I get mine from an official habanos distributor completely tax free, until they arrive in australia, then I'm sent a bill (usually about $60-$80) from Aus customs, and a few days later a nice box of cubans arrives, generally ~$150-$200/box all in for decent middle to upper shelf stuff. Totally legit. :ph34r:

Bought a box every payday for a while back in 2012, humidor's still about 1/3 full.

Never smoked ciggies and never got hooked on cigars. If I feel like one I do, but sometimes I go for months then notice the humidore and go oh yeah...

read somewhere also that it wasn't until people smoked more than 2 cigars a day that there was any statistically reliable health impact and that oral sex can also lead to mouth cancer (HPV).

anyway my value faves:
Hoyo Petit Robusto
Motechricto Petit Edmundo
Partagas Coronas Senior
R and J's...

Its also nice to have something better floating round.

But if your hard up and starting out don't turn your nos up at Jose L Piedre (JLP), conservas and cazadores although the others (except cremeas) are good value also.

Gotta say also that Im always amazed at how many strangers come up and say something like 'that smells fantastic, I don't like cigarettes but I could smell that a mile away and its great' (even JLP). Got a frown once, that was all.

Nothing says respect like a fat stoggie B)

Yeah. The tax is a little harsh. From what a lot of people have been saying is that not all the international orders get caught and even if yours does with postage and tax added on, it's still much cheaper than buying locally online, let alone from a store.

Will probably buy local when I just want to try a couple of singles. And go online for bigger orders or whole boxes.

1lb tobacco from the US 25 bucks, freight 25 bucks, cigar types in case ready to roll. With tax a couple of hundred landed. About 100 corona cigars from a hand there. I haven't had an issue landing it but have had issues fighting to keep it. It is a legal import.

Ah yep. I'm more interested in buying actual cigars at the moment. Have been told to allow about $6 per stick tax if they get held up in customs. That still works out to less than half price of what I paid in a store recently.

Try these guys on for size. http://www.sollevy.com.au

They used to hand roll in oz not sure if they are still doing it but have a lot of inventory. I spoke to them February and they were still rolling cigars here so maybe some great ones from them.

If I had to pick a house cigar it would be Romeos #3 good length some cream, always they will draw well, consistency of flavour across a box etc. I hate punch for the sometimes undrawable, too tightly packed tobacco but have that cream flavour sometimes, I have called the sales rep, can't get a call back from him. Pacific tobacco and I won't include his name or number here.

Bolivars are by far a better cigar and are true to flavour 99% of the time! I have just found too much flavour slip with punch. Punch are also a lot cheaper locally so this could be why. Romeos#3 are my go to. One a night over a few beers after work. You really can't go wrong for a mild aromatic.

Yeah had a couple get through no tax, and a couple go missing when they got to Aussie Post, But the online vendor offers a refund or replacement in this case. Usually averaging about $5-$10 stick all up.

Reminds me I need to have a rummage in the ol humidore and maybe pull our some gems.

Maybe think about some fresh stock also.

I've ordered a humidor but have been told to expect a 3-6 week wait for international shipping and customs.

Can't wait to get it seasoned!

StalkingWilbur said:
So far I've got coming:
Drew estate under crown belicoso
Oliva serie v belicoso
Perdomo slow aged Maduro Churchill
Gurkha Wicked indie xo
Xikar hc Maduro Churchill
One Dona Flor Robusto Connecticut
One Dona Flor Selecao Robusto (92 Rating by CA Magazine)
One Dona Flor Puro Mata Fina - Robusto
And a five pack of Blood Red Moon that came as a cheap add on to the humidor I ordered.
Are there Cubans in there, I haven't worked out where they are from if so did you check a review for the said cigars? Some are meant to be smoked dry. Some on case eg. Humidore some wet. I know this invites ridicule as all can. E smoked dry. It best bang comes from aged cigars held to fulfil humidity ratios etc. you won't enjoy a dry cigar aged in a humidore, you also won't enjoy an aged cigar without pulling it out and getting to a pre conceived moisture content. Wet and dry cigars are diferent. Don't put your under 20 buck cigars in your humidore. They will not get betters these cigars are meant to be smoked dry. Etc.etc. Cubans will benefit from ageing. Longer the better.

Cheers

Its a selection of big brand merican cigars, still need to sit in the humidore for a few weeks

Yeah, I did no research before I bought them. Just wanted to get the collection started and then start leaning.

The first five came in a pack with a free five count crush proof travel humidor.

The next three was just the cheapest sampler pack cigarhut.com did so I would have some waiting at home for me when I got home.

And yeah, the next five were a cheap add on to the humidor. Was $15 for 5, so not expecting a lot but can't argue with the price.

Jaded and Bitter said:
Its a selection of big brand merican cigars, still need to sit in the humidore for a few weeks
Weeks, months, years...

Most if not all Cubans that come to oz are smoke able but will benefit from prolonged humidore temps and humidity. They will only get better, if your are not a big cigarette smoker then have them now, they are great. If you smoke a few them this is not the forum for you and you will know this being a cigar junkie.

This is a have a few beers post and enjoy a cheapish cigar? When it changes to something better please mail me.

jaypes said:
I know, I was like - whats the minimum age that you are allowed to work down here!
OT, but Cocko and I were at a brewpub in LA a few years back. Upon meeting the the head brewer, an overweight gent in his late 40's, and him learning that we were Aussies; his first question to us was, "what's your age of consent down there?"

Ummm. Excuse me?

Latest posts

Back