The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Buy thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hahaha, yeah, no, unless something were to go horribly wrong!

Mardoo said:
Sweet! What did you say the accuracy was? Sounded like a couple degrees but I'm thinking it must be more accurate than that.
If it's anything like the original Brauduino that I have the accuracy will be around -/+ .25 degrees

Lael,

I finally managed to make the payment just now, I know I said it would be a couple of weeks ago, but truth is I over spent during the festive season. Mainly on beer, so I'm sure you can forgive/understand

:beerbang:

Lael,
I'm quite sadden to to see just how badly this shows up the one I soldered, I mean, ok I'm no transistor hero, but damn I recon you could fit another 30 resistors where I struggled to fit 6. Very tidy lay out.

Mike

Yeah, that seems more like it. I guessed from looking at the display in the video of hundredths of a degree (20.25 I believe, but I was watching on my phone) that tenths were the "couple of degrees" being spoken of. Plus I can't imagine anyone as detailed as lael clearly is would go to all this trouble to produce a controller that would get me in a four degree ballpark. :)

Mardoo said:
Sweet! What did you say the accuracy was? Sounded like a couple degrees but I'm thinking it must be more accurate than that.
lol - yeah, I knew that was going to be picked up when I watched the video again. So the accuracy on the DS18b20's are around .25 degrees up to 85C. Over 85C they don't give any guarantees (I swapped around the comment when I made it - above 85 it can be up to a few degrees difference), though I've found them to be accurate within a degree or so on all the controllers I have... honestly... at 100... 101C vs 100C boil... meh.

Of the 5 sample probes I've received, four are within 0.25 of each other, the other is 0.5 of a degree (@appx 30C). The PID algorithm maintains temps within 0.25 of a degree consistently. I've finished wiring up the very first controller to be made from this batch :) - so I'll be running some tests tomorrow. I'll let you all know!

breakbeer said:
If it's anything like the original Brauduino that I have the accuracy will be around -/+ .25 degrees

Lael,

I finally managed to make the payment just now, I know I said it would be a couple of weeks ago, but truth is I over spent during the festive season. Mainly on beer, so I'm sure you can forgive/understand

:beerbang:
hey breakbeer - no forgiveness required at all. Christmas is a busy season for everyone! Great to have you on board!

Just running the new controller through its paces. Running two 2400w heating elements, one internal and one over the side, 60ltrs of water. Water test only. Rise uncovered in 45cm pot is 1deg/min. 1.5deg/min covered. Flawless execution. Heatsink is warm, but running 2 SSRs it is cooler than the old Jaycar one got running one. Loving it. Wish I had a thermal gun to measure the surface temp :)

Nothing that exciting :)

The heatsink got an awful lot hotter during the boil - it felt around the same as the Jaycar heatsink when it gets really hot, which is not bad for running two SSRs full tilt. I was hoping for better but it is dissipating twice the heat. I put a temp probe on the surface of the SSR and it measured 65C, which is around 35C above ambient, which is about in line with expectations. I would like it cooler if possible.

It's hot enough you can't touch it for long. Based on observations with my other controllers, it should be fine. For anything above 10A, you'll need active cooling (add a 12v 80mm computer fan).

Pics as requested:

CompletedController01.jpg

CompletedController02.jpg

Just shut off the power and pulled the the front cover off to check some temps. Inside the box (ambient in sealed box) measured 45. The SSRS were slightly warm to touch, temp contact measured 44C. The power supply unit was slightly warmer, but not uncomfortable to touch. Looks like the heatsink is doing its job.

So, I wonder if the heatsink will be able to handle a single 15A without a fan then. afterall you were dissipating the Heat of 20A

Looks fantastic Lael!
(Very jealous! Unfortunately(!?!) my older kit of yours is doing too good a job!!!) :)

Hi Lael,

Reckon there'll be any issue attaching a plastic fan to a heatsink that reaches 65 degrees?

Also, what size are the pre drilled holes?

Stux said:
So, I wonder if the heatsink will be able to handle a single 15A without a fan then. afterall you were dissipating the Heat of 20A
I would imagine so. I'll still officially recommend a fan :)

Pirate323i said:
Looks fantastic Lael!
(Very jealous! Unfortunately(!?!) my older kit of yours is doing too good a job!!!) :)
Great to hear Pirate! I'm the same way. I've got a few spare controllers laying around now lol.

breakbeer said:
Hi Lael,

Reckon there'll be any issue attaching a plastic fan to a heatsink that reaches 65 degrees?

Also, what size are the pre drilled holes?
I don't think so. CPU heatsinks are routinely up around that temp. Or... Were around P4 days. If you are uncomfortable with it you can stick a silicon o ring between the heatsink and the fan. Tapped holes are M4. You also need to remember the heatsink will be a LOT cooler with active cooling (given the same load). With a higher amperage I would guess an actively cooled heatsink will still be cooler than 65. I haven't tested this.

Ok I'm a dumbass when it comes to electrics, and while I will build a new brau clone to suit the new controller in the mean time I want to add 2 elements to my existing 80 litre pot. My question is what size elements should I use so I can use them with the controller and where can I get them?

Cheers

Brendandrage said:
Ok I'm a dumbass when it comes to electrics, and while I will build a new brau clone to suit the new controller in the mean time I want to add 2 elements to my existing 80 litre pot. My question is what size elements should I use so I can use them with the controller and where can I get them?

Cheers
I'd recommend a couple of these:

http://www.5stardistilling.net/weldless-2400w-element-guard/

Brendandrage said:

Cheers
What size is your pot and what size is your mash pipe?

My pot is 80 litre but the Id is 475mm I currently have a pot in a pot set up up recirc set up pretty much the same as qld Kev, the Id between the legs on the inner pot is 270mm if that makes sense.
I'll keep this set up and also build a new one when you work out the details.

Latest posts

Back