Swine Flu - Do We Need To Stockpile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget the pig flu, I've decided to start a lawnmower thread. Back soon. :icon_cheers:

:rolleyes:

pig_flu__2_.jpg

How are you storing it?

Currently unopened, after the discussion in my thread about it this morning, and also talking to Ross, I can either just roll the top over and rubber band it shut, or I can sit there and weigh up some baggies now and have the convenience of being able to grab a dose when I want it.

The WHO is actually the organisation pushing all this- their pandemic level is 5 (6 is full-on proper pandemic)

Scare-tactics: they made up that arbitrary list for the purpose of controlling the masses. Probably set out by some pharmaceutical company that invented a new flu-vaccine they needed to sell us.

The fact that it is level 5 out 6 just explains that: 160 dead in Mexico, 1 dead in the US. What level do we have for 10.000 dead in Mexico, 5.000 in the US, 3.000 in the UK, 2.000 in Australia (and so on...). Then they will probably just extend the scale to 10...

I'm going to go and but myself some Corona's: or "Flu-Brew" as they have become known as. And bacon, heaps of bacon.

Oink, oink.

yep as i said on another post it shows how epic ross actually is

Currently unopened, after the discussion in my thread about it this morning, and also talking to Ross, I can either just roll the top over and rubber band it shut, or I can sit there and weigh up some baggies now and have the convenience of being able to grab a dose when I want it.

OT...

Dry yeast needs to be used within ~3 days once the packet is open. That is why I have an issue with repackaging from these bulk packs. It should say on the bulk pack something to this effect, I know it does on bulk Fermentis packs.

Buying bulk dry yeast (and repackaged yeast for that matter) is a false economy in my opinion.

cause its that babies fault for kissing that pig! noone of this wold have happened >.< heh heh i have a high speed internet connection and about 4 batches of beer on the way im all set for the month.

OT...

Dry yeast needs to be used within ~3 days once the packet is open. That is why I have an issue with repackaging from these bulk packs. It should say on the bulk pack something to this effect, I know it does on bulk Fermentis packs.

Buying bulk dry yeast (and repackaged yeast for that matter) is a false economy in my opinion.

Yet many on here have successfully used bulk yeast over a period of time.....

It's only a false economy if you mistreat it, in my opinion.

Yet many on here have successfully used bulk yeast over a period of time.....

It's only a false economy if you mistreat it, in my opinion.

But oxygen exposure (ie opening the pack) essentially IS mistreatment as far as yeast is concerned. That's why Fermentis and other yeast manufacturers package their product under strict lab conditions. I'm not sure doing it in our kitchens or the shed out the back of some HBS is quite the same!

Fingers crossed you don't have too many issues though - unfortunately I know of plenty of people who have...

OT...

Pretty well all satchets come from bulk vacuum sealed yeast that is sent to packaging Companys to be repacked into sachets.
We investigated getting our yeast repackaged this way, but were informed by the yeast packers that we would get a better product vacuum sealing.
The sachets are filled by 1st flushing with a quick squirt of nitrogen & then filling with yeast from bulk hoppers before sealing. The yeast during this time is exposed to the air & from my understanding the nitrogen flush doesn't expell all the air anyway. The nitrogen flushed sachets are used as they are fast & cheap to produce. The yeast packaging Company's I contacted also took no steps to perform this process in a "sterile" air enviroment, saying it wasn't required.

I don't particularly like the idea of leaving your yeast exposed to possible contamination, but know of several excellent brewers that dispense from 500gm packs over a long period of time with no noticable ill effect.

cheers Ross

Back