Swine Flu - Do We Need To Stockpile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm id like to get in on this retailing business <<

Looks like I'll be firing up the starter flask.....:p

Advantage of NC, I can use the same wort for a starter and then just pitch the whole flask.

Pretty well all satchets come from bulk vacuum sealed yeast that is sent to packaging Companys to be repacked into sachets.
We investigated getting our yeast repackaged this way, but were informed by the yeast packers that we would get a better product vacuum sealing.
The sachets are filled by 1st flushing with a quick squirt of nitrogen & then filling with yeast from bulk hoppers before sealing. The yeast during this time is exposed to the air & from my understanding the nitrogen flush doesn't expell all the air anyway. The nitrogen flushed sachets are used as they are fast & cheap to produce. The yeast packaging Company's I contacted also took no steps to perform this process in a "sterile" air enviroment, saying it wasn't required.

I don't particularly like the idea of leaving your yeast exposed to possible contamination, but know of several excellent brewers that dispense from 500gm packs over a long period of time with no noticable ill effect.

cheers Ross

Actually this thread on probrewer.com may enlighten somewhat. There's a post from a lallemand rep discouraging the continued use of yeast from an opened bulk pack. They say if you have some method of removing all the oxygen from the opened pack you should be right. Sounds like more farting around than it's worth.

Warren -

heh heh just thought i'd mention it but the info is very handy ^^ thanks all the same it helped me anyways :p

Half Fix off topic? Maybe. A senseless thread from the beginning? Definitely. I can't see what going O/T will really do to harm it ?? :huh:

Warren -
:lol: :lol: Yeah lets get back to the serious topic of stockpiling brewing products for the impending swine flu apocolypse!

:lol: :lol: Yeah lets get back to the serious topic of stockpiling brewing products for the impending swine flu apocolypse!

Yep it's like a Cold War in the Animal Farm. :ph34r:

Warren -

exactly seeing as the world is going to end like with the particle accelerator last year.....

exactly seeing as the world is going to end like with the particle accelerator last year.....

Well **** me the world is going to end. Well I best go and keg that brew that has not quite finished then drink and post comment on my swap beers. Then I need to drink the the beers I had planned to age but there is no point ageing them now and the grain bulk buy is now fucked and I wont get to try the aromatic. Well I hope we dont all die before the public holiday is over, which reminds me that I may as well schedule in my annual leave to start the day my acrued sick leave ends.

Well the info on bulk yeast was good anyway

everyone in the case swap shall survive because ill be damned if it fails out....

Why are people concerned with stocking up on yeast anyway? Ever heard of a lambic!? :D

Back off topic,

I boought a 500g brick and it was dead as doornail within three months of opening.

Cheers

Darren

OT...

Dry yeast needs to be used within ~3 days once the packet is open. That is why I have an issue with repackaging from these bulk packs. It should say on the bulk pack something to this effect, I know it does on bulk Fermentis packs.

Buying bulk dry yeast (and repackaged yeast for that matter) is a false economy in my opinion.

Back off topic,

I boought a 500g brick and it was dead as doornail within three months of opening.

Cheers

Darren
Perhaps you need to look at your ability to store your yeast appropriately, Darren :eek:

Actually this thread on probrewer.com may enlighten somewhat. There's a post from a lallemand rep discouraging the continued use of yeast from an opened bulk pack. They say if you have some method of removing all the oxygen from the opened pack you should be right. Sounds like more farting around than it's worth.

Warren -

He could also potentially be saying that as a way of selling more packs of smaller quantities...Call it me being somewhat sceptic of advise coming from any retailer where following that advice will improve their bottom line.....

Seems there are many stories in either direction, some people have had no issues after many months, other have issues after a few months, others say 3 days....

I'll make a point to note when I open the pack, and when I pitch the last viable and any steps I have taken with the yeast in the mean time.

Well I said it in the thread you started on the topic Pollux that I do just fold the pack over and wrap a couple of rubber bands around it. Then put the pack in a airtight clip lock plastic thingy.
Just went back thru my old spreadsheet and I started this pack on 23rd Sept last year. It is nearly finished and I guess I have about 5-7 brews worth left in the pack.
It still going as strong as ever.
Whats the difference between this and what the missus does with containers of bulk baking yeast, nothing

You should check your hygene practices Darren :ph34r:

I live near a cyclatron so i hope my yeast lives longer....

Stockpiling food my arse! Ive got more chance of catching botulism from no chilling my beer than catching this new media hyped frenzied so-called flu. Guaranteed it'll be a non event/old news in a couple of weeks then the papers will be onto something else to sell their papers.
Cheers
Steve

Yes the world health orth need to justify their existence occasionally , and when something slightly out of the norm shows up they jump at it.
Not one of the big bad flus has killed more people than the normal winter flus we get every bloody year (the big one excluded of course, but there was no defense against them back then)

Relax, but hey, stockpile beer by all means :lol:

I wish I lived closer to bribie, as some of those 2L pets would stock up the cupboard good B)

Latest posts

Back