Swan Brewery Closing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fosters has a large brewery near the airport (kewdale), with a malting next door, and a grainary (or whatever you want to call it) next to that. On Abernethy Rd.

They fucked up Emu Bitter, that was the beginning of the end.
Nev

I agree, Nev. They would have lost a heap of stalwart customers after this. I have said it before, but an Emu Bitter on a hot day used to be a pretty decent swill.

Poor old Emu :(

My parents moved into Canning Vale in 1982.Still remember the smell of brew days when riding my pushie around South Street and Bannister Road,when there was hardly any traffic.Dad drank Swan Draught,Swan Premium and Swan Gold when I was a kid.I remember drinking Swan Draught,Emu Bitter and Emu Export on tap when it was a good drop (nostalgia?)in pubs that are long gone.The brewing industry in Australia is just another industry that has all but lost it's Australian ownership for better or for worse.
aaahhhh Off for another glass of homebrew

The brewing industry in Australia is just another industry that has all but lost it's Australian ownership for better or for worse.

95% of breweries in the country are Australian owned! It's just the two big boys (and their second tier buyouts) that are internationally owned.

Those two breweries account account for much more than 5% of the industry.

So the Emu Bitter did change. It used to be my stable drink for brewery beer back when I lived in WA (a bit over 8 years ago) About 6 months ago the relies brought over a carton for me. New can, new abv%, and a crappy new taste. I though maybe it was just my taste buds had changed.

QldKev

Any one wanna start a brew pub in geraldton??? no competion (except u gotta convert some mega swill drinkers but that aint hard everyone a sheep here one person goes they all go) Im sure Nev would be keen Gryphon Brewing Company :p

Any one wanna start a brew pub in geraldton??? no competion (except u gotta convert some mega swill drinkers but that aint hard everyone a sheep here one person goes they all go) Im sure Nev would be keen Gryphon Brewing Company :p
I dont have enough time as it is ;)
But it would be nice to bring back running bird bitter.
Nev

I've thought about it...

Sure, it's sad for the old timers - or to anyone with any nostalgia tied in with this brewery... but forgive me if I'm not too upset. Never tasted a good beer from there, just typical megaswill LAGER. Plenty of similar stuff around, being produced locally.

I guess that with the increased interest in craft beer, it has to come at the expense of some of someone else?

Sorry nev what's bop. I did read somewhere maybe the paper there was a brewery trying to open up

BOP = Brew on Premises (usually those ones that have goo and rave on about "it's better than homebrew" - and reinforce the 'bad homebrew' stereotype).

Ross at Bacchus/Craftbrewer the obvious exception of course.

Goomba

Nice to see the current staff are being offered the jobs in other states but the take up rate would be minimal as you'd have to relocate to SA/Tas.

And funnily enough there's an announcement today that Boags is expanding.

Thanks. I know the u-brew it shut shop. There was a fellow who use to own a couple resteraunts up there was trying to open one. I think if that happened it would make a killing. That's the sort of thing wasn't around when I was growing up, just the normal pubs and clubs. But I really enjoy I nice brewery and chips these days. Relaxing with the family

I saw that. Wonder when they're hiring and what the pay is like. I wouldn't mind a career change to got with the T-change.

Goomba

The ideal T change would involve no work at all. My boss keeps getting all this new work meaning I'm flat out until Feb. I may have to quit.

Latest posts

Back