Gage Roads wins Perth Stadium contract.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stouter

Reaction score
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...s-story/077286e05d1e3019681d294a68a54867#page

PALMYRA-based company Gage Roads has slain international brewing giants and won the lucrative contract to supply beer and cider at the new Perth Stadium.

In an extraordinary coup for the craft beer business, which was formed in 2002 and has about 40 employees, Gage Roads had to prove it could supply 5000 kegs of different variety beers over a five-day period before securing the multimillion-dollar contract.

The WA firm was up against the biggest brewing corporations in the world: the Belgian headquartered owners of Carlton and United Breweries, Anheuser-Busch InBev; and the Japanese-owned Lion.

“This appointment represents a significant milestone for this truly West Australian company,” Perth Stadium chief executive Mike McKenna said.

That's awesome. I remember having my first Gage Roads after a game of Golf at Rosehill, must be 12 + years ago, good stuff!

But will it be one of their beers or one of those they brew under contract such as "Matso's". Here"s hoping!!

Wobbly

That's fantastic! I'm as interested in a major sports stadium going "craft" as I am in an independent winning the contract.

Mark McGowan (Premier) is on the record saying he prefers the stadium to be serving mid strength beers only and he might have the final say. If that's the case we could be drinking their Narrow Neck Session Ale at 3.5% and 22 IBU rather than the Little Dove Pale Ale at 6.2% and 48 IBU!!! or any of the other full strength beers.
Sleeping Giant IPA 5.4% 55IBU
Single Fin Session 4.5% 25IBU
Atomic Pale Ale 4.7% 36IBU
Breakwater Aussie Ale 4.5% 15IBU

Wobbly

Why just one brewery supply all
Why not have some competition choice with several breweries each with so many dedicated taps
West Aussie though don't want to give the opposition any chance :p
Is it too hard to deal with more than 1 supplier

Mark McGowan (Premier) is on the record saying he prefers the stadium to be serving mid strength beers only and he might have the final say. If that's the case we could be drinking their Narrow Neck Session Ale at 3.5% and 22 IBU rather than the Little Dove Pale Ale at 6.2% and 48 IBU!!! or any of the other full strength beers.
Sleeping Giant IPA 5.4% 55IBU
Single Fin Session 4.5% 25IBU
Atomic Pale Ale 4.7% 36IBU
Breakwater Aussie Ale 4.5% 15IBU

Wobbly

That should loosen up the contact sports fans nicely on a stinking hot day.

This isn't really an upgrade from the mass swill on offer at sports stadiums currently....

Said something in the article about the fans guiding the decision on the sale of full strength. Maybe this is the usual pollie lip service prior to them making a decision for everyone.
If I felt the need I'd charge up before I went then drink mid strength while there.

I don't think I've ever had any of their brews, but admittedly I'm lacking in drinking variety. I'm just really happy to see the comment that they'd have to employ more staff. That means more local people employed, and maybe opportunities for younger guys/gals here in WA that are interested in the industry. Plus it sounds as though they source their raw material from here.

Back