'Craft' beer tax to be Fed Election issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beam Trolley is put on the ceiling like you see in the meat industry trouble with a lot of these jobs is the ones in charge are **** wits and would rather pay someone to do it manually then get proper equipment .

wynnum1 said:
Beam Trolley is put on the ceiling like you see in the meat industry trouble with a lot of these jobs is the ones in charge are **** wits and would rather pay someone to do it manually then get proper equipment .
When you consider the likes of Panthers, other such 'super clubs' as well as larger venues Sport stadiums etc, the income they generate and other infrastructure they're quite prepared to shell out for your right. Comes down to the mighty dollar. Hence as I said 20L kegs for general distribution and say 500l kegs to these larger venues; thus forcing them to have systems in place to deal with them.

My point was that the excise laws currently enable the issue of manual handling within the industry and has largely been ignored compared with any other industry,

You know what the government will do if they change the system do away with the over 50 l and charge at the higher price for all beer.

Craft brewers say ACCC's lack of action over tap contracts a 'body blow' to industry
Patrick Keneally, The Guardian, Thursday 13 July 2017 18.57 AEST

Craft brewers allege Carlton United Breweries and Lion are locking them out of beer taps in pubs, clubs and live venues

A decision by the competition watchdog to take no action against major breweries over tap contracts in pubs and clubs has been criticised by the craft brewing industry.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission conducted a three-year investigation into allegations from craft brewers that the major brewers, Carlton United Breweries and Lion, were locking them out of beer taps in pubs, clubs and live venues through the use of exclusivity provisions and volume requirements in tap contracts.

Tap contracts at 36 venues across New South Wales and Victoria were investigated but the ACCC found that, while volume rules and exclusivity arrangements were in place, they were unlikely to substantially lessen competition.

The Independent Brewers Association (IBA) described the decision as a “body blow” for craft brewers.

Ben Kooyman, the chairman of the IBA, said the competition watchdog’s claim that tap contracts did not substantially lessen competition was at odds with an Essential Economics study that found market access was the second greatest constraint to growth behind excise.

“This investigation has been dragging on for more than three years and to now find out that the status quo will be maintained is a bit hard to take,” he said. “The big winners from this decision are a select group of multinational companies.

“For any small business to survive it needs protection from the market practices of dominant players. We had hoped that Australian consumer law, as interpreted by the ACCC, would be able to provide that protection.”

More at: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...on-over-tap-contracts-a-body-blow-to-industry

So, historically these laws set up as I understand to protect local brews (now megaswill internationally owned craft-washed concerns) to compete with the big American and Euro brands in the 70/80s, are now used to do exactly the same thing they were intended to prevent.
I trust the irony's not lost on anyone.

Bureaucracy aside, is the federal government able to get anything right?
I was chatting to Mazen (Hawkers) GABS before, he was lamenting the sluggishness of the Fed to grant him residency or PR, or at least sort it out so he wasn't deported. Never mind the fact he's employing 20+ Victorians in Reservoir and elsewhere at the time.

I hate to conflate the two, but not only can i not get a crafty at my local, i can't nbn either due to the hfc/malcolm-turnbull-mess either.
It's just a real shame, at least i can homebrew and string tin cans together, i suppose, but good lord wouldn't it be nice if a bit of common sense and practicality prevailed over big business interests for crafty's to get a fair go at the tap. So much for equality before the law.

I really doubt the huge alcohol tax slows down hardcore pissheads anyway . Just less food on the table ect, for their children .
indeed, for example cheap cask wine is taxed in a different matter as well, this is why cheap cask wine is popular among problem drinkers.

The craft brewing doco on Netflux, Craft Nation might be, that showed how the seppos changed things for the better in their local community and economies with craft brewing and tap rooms. Certainly a flow on effect and better employment opportunities than the large breweries. There was parts also regarding the taxes and restrictions where one state didn't allow tap room sales, etc. Interesting watch.
i must say the last time i went over tt the US i was genuinely impressed by some of the bars and choice of beers on tap available.

I
i must say the last time i went over tt the US i was genuinely impressed by some of the bars and choice of beers on tap available.

I was genuinely impressed that most garden variety bottle shops had a better selection of beer than Dan Murphys. Or that you could get a sixer of Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada or Ballast Point for as little as $10, virtually anywhere. Or, for that matter, that I could get a pint of fresh Urquell in Prague for about 50 Koruna - $2.50 AUD give or take. Or around $2 for 750ml Heineken from a 7/11 in Thailand.
We get royally fucked in this country for our simple pleasures by a greedy government, plain and simple.

Taxing at every step of their elaborate red tape processes ensures this.

Taxing at every step of their elaborate red tape processes ensures this.

The biggest crime, in my opinion anyway, is that it discourages free enterprise, and by extension, creativity. Could be beer, could be anything (but most importantly beer..).
I would love to see a micro in every small town in Australia, all vying to take home a gong at some interstate or regional festival. Be like the State of Origin, only meritorious.
But how many talented brewers have looked at the rigmarole of kicking off a micro involved and said '**** this', and gone back to brewing in the garage. Basically, we all miss out.
We should be selling beers on the side of the road like preserves, or shitty handicrafts. Christ, its not like you dont pay tax on the ingredients.
At least set the bar at the tax free threshold before bureaucracy sticks its bib in. You can earn 18K tax free anyway, so whats that $346 per week selling beer out of your shed?
$346 you'll re invest in the economy, most likely, other small business.
A pox on government and its anti capitalistic interventions. Go cut ribbons on nature reserves you pricks and get the **** out of the way of enterprising Australians.
Grrr. Dads angry..

I

I was genuinely impressed that most garden variety bottle shops had a better selection of beer than Dan Murphys. Or that you could get a sixer of Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada or Ballast Point for as little as $10, virtually anywhere. Or, for that matter, that I could get a pint of fresh Urquell in Prague for about 50 Koruna - $2.50 AUD give or take. Or around $2 for 750ml Heineken from a 7/11 in Thailand.
We get royally fucked in this country for our simple pleasures by a greedy government, plain and simple.

Fark I can't wait 'til I'm there this year...

The biggest crime, in my opinion anyway, is that it discourages free enterprise, and by extension, creativity. Could be beer, could be anything (but most importantly beer..).
I would love to see a micro in every small town in Australia, all vying to take home a gong at some interstate or regional festival. Be like the State of Origin, only meritorious.
But how many talented brewers have looked at the rigmarole of kicking off a micro involved and said '**** this', and gone back to brewing in the garage. Basically, we all miss out.
We should be selling beers on the side of the road like preserves, or shitty handicrafts. Christ, its not like you dont pay tax on the ingredients.
At least set the bar at the tax free threshold before bureaucracy sticks its bib in. You can earn 18K tax free anyway, so whats that $346 per week selling beer out of your shed?
$346 you'll re invest in the economy, most likely, other small business.
A pox on government and its anti capitalistic interventions. Go cut ribbons on nature reserves you pricks and get the **** out of the way of enterprising Australians.
Grrr. Dads angry..

Holy shit love this one. And here i was thinking we were all equal before the law... I suppose if you have the money, you can get away with anything are free to do what you want.
I am trying to not sound sound like a commy but god damn you nanny state, and few drug/booze addled bad apples ruining it for everyone.

Holy shit love this one. And here i was thinking we were all equal before the law... I suppose if you have the money, you can get away with anything are free to do what you want.
I am trying to not sound sound like a commy but god damn you nanny state, and few drug/booze addled bad apples ruining it for everyone.

If you can afford a mouthpiece like Chris Murphy, apparently so.

On another occasion, Murphy successfully helped Singleton avoid a fine and possible criminal conviction for driving his Bentley at 160km/h. Murphy argued that the modern design of Singleton's $600,000 car meant it could safely travel at 50km/h over the speed limit.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...w/news-story/a35f2b17548d4f0c405db22376fb43e7

I think America has done something similar, or they are trying to anyway.

It's mostly been a state issue, with many outcomes. The federal tax on beer is low enough it's not a large issue.

Whatever those chardonnay-quaffing dual citizen pollies in Canberra do, it's high time.

Back