Survey: Kegs From U.s.

• Thread starter mchitiea
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The keg shown with the cut away rubber was leaking like a sieve at the weld and I'm very happy to say that Matt is now replacing it :)

My confidence has now been restored :super:

PZ.

Well, I got mine today. 9.5 weeks after I got the email that they had been sent, as expected. All 4 had pressure. Only one had no dings, but the other three only had minor dings. Some of the rubber was cracked and crazed (near the dings).

All in all, I'm a happy shopper.

Now I have to get up off my behind and find an ex CO2 extinguisher for a gas bottle!

Hi all,
Lately people have been talking about "dings" and kegs.
Let's set things straight: USED KEGS HAVE NO TO MINOR DINGS! Only 40%-%60 of kegs DON'T have any...or there abouts.
If you get a keg with a ding in it, and don't like it, GO BUY A NEW KEG!
-Maybe you all have forgotton what a COMPLETELY DIMPLED, BASHED KEG LOOKS LIKE.
-RE: Rubber and "stress cracks". We DO NOT send kegs where the rubber is ripped. Most all used kegs do have rubber that is stress cracked DUE TO AGE AND THE INCREDIBLE HEAT THEY TAKE IN PEPSI'S AUTOMATIC CLEANING MACHINE! Acid washing does take its' toll you know.

-Other than that; for all those that ordered kegs in the last two weeks or so, we should be back up and running again by thursday, with all kegs FINALLY getting sent out. (Machinery breakdown & repair time). As always, we will be emailing you the U.S. Custom Forms upon sending.
Thank you all,
Matt

PS: Kegs $14,50 until 11-30-05

mchitiea said:
Machinery breakdown & repair time

That's a bummer, but I wouldnt worry if I were youthings are even worse on our end.

Customs have just started (over the last few weeks) using a new in-house computer program...it's 5 times worse than the old one and non-urgent items (things aside from medication, items requiring refrigeration, etc) are being held up in a big way :eek:

Last week they were talking about going back to the old system while the new one is de-bugged...I hope they have!

If they haven't you can blame late shipment arrivals on Aussie Customs :ph34r:

PZ.

slightly off topic but that explains why my brake parts are held up in customs at the moment.
cheers fingerlicken
and keep up the good work matt.

big d

I received my second-latest order of two kegs from Matt today.

Minimal dents and both holding a good amount of pressure.

The base has almost completely come off one, but the rubber is in near-perfect condition and once I stick it back on with a little epoxy or silicone you'd never even know...so this is a non-issue :)

Usual sets of o-rings were included.

Im pretty damned happy with these kegs and what's really handy is that they are the same type as the last batch, so everything is interchangeable and I only need to buy spares for one type of keg :D

PZ.

Watching from the "side lines" all very interesting........

Say if I wanted to get into kegging (I know the basics), what kind of equipment do I need to be ordering from these US mobs?? It seems 4 kegs would be a worthwhile order!

The $22US I am prepared to pay for a little better quality.

Buy the kegs from Matt.

For a slight saving, you could also buy disconnects, hose and clips from Tom Hargrave on eBay...he's based in the US and goes by the user name "thargrav".

For a VERY significant saving (and if you don't want stainless taps (his are chrome-plated brass)), you could also buy your taps from Tom and combine the shipping.

You will however need to buy your regulator locally (within AU). I suggest grabbing a Harris 601 from Brett...he's based in Queensland and goes by the user name "token_survivor" on eBay. He's on this forum too, but I can't remember his user name right now :( Brett also sells a lot of the stuff that Tom does and if you are in a hurry he's local and does next-day express!

I buy quite a few items from Brett that I *could* get from Tom...I guess it's all up to how patient you are...I hate to wait and he's a great bloke to deal with :beer:

PZ.

*disclaimer* - I have no particular affiliation with either of these sellers, I am simply happy with their products and services...passing info on to you :)

So I need:

- 4 kegs
- A set of disconnects (which type and how many??)
- hoses and crimps (?????)
- maybe a spare set of seals.

I want to run 2 kegs at a time in a fridge I will convert - so I still need a reg, taps driptray (all available off eBay). The CO2 I am looking the the refill option in abother thread (I think the Melbourne refill station is near Moorabbin??)

With the regs, any reason why I can't get one from the US???

If someone could tell me all the parts that would be great. Looking at Brewers Discount to purchase the kegs and other bits.

mistylane -
check out the thread

Overseas Regulators Thread
for info on overseas regualtors, but in short, you may have troubles with an overseas regulator - the threads are close, but slightly different. Some people seem to get them to fit and Australian gas bottle. Expect a PM shortly with some more details.

If you are in Melbourne you are very lucky for CO2 - many of the homebrew shops have a deal going with the Air Liquide rep and you can hire a cylinder for about $15 a year or something close to that.

You'll need at least 2 gas and 2 liquid ball-lock type disconnects to serve from 2 kegs.

You'll need a T-piece to split the gas line to the two kegs, and obviously you'll need beer line and whatever fittings you need to connect the line to your taps.

Get an Aussie reg because they have different threads.

If you are starting from scratch it is worth supporting your local homebrew shop, they'll be able to supply you with a complete and compatible system and advise you on setting it all up.

:D :D WOOHOO!!!

Delivered to my door today was a cardboard box from the US!!!

Inside the carton were 4 beaut kegs & the parts kits that I'd ordered from Matt at C&C.

3 still held good pressure & the 4th I was able to fix by replacing a poppet with the extras that I ordered.

Invoiced & paid 22/09.
Despatched 26/09.
P.O. Stamp 11/10
Arrived Napier NZ 18/11

Pictured as unpacked with the parts in the bag on top of the 2nd from left
Kegs.jpg

You be the Judge.....How Good are those!!!!

The rubber is fine & the wear & tear I would classify as minimal to non existent. Everything ordered arrived.

Very pleased with this purchase. AAA+++

Thanks go out to Matt & those involved @ C&C.

just got an email from matt just sent my kegs on 15/11 ordered them 4 weeks ago geez Iam pissed
Emailed 4 times only reply i got from him was saying ebay webmail suck pls use normal email did so and no reply till today and the happy news that they only just left.
Iam not pissed at the lag time that is fine things happen just the lack of communiation if I had got a email 3 weeks ago saying they have troubles well then I would be fine but this hiding behind ebay & email just pisses me off.
Will this guy ever learn
=======================
Rant off

sintax, I just got the same email regarding my latest batch too.

Thank the gods I already have seven kegs on hand to almost completely keep me away from bottles :)

I already knew Matt had encountered some issues on his end (reading his eBay feedback replies), so I was prepared...sorry to hear you aren't in the same boat :(

PZ.

I am happy as. Received my 4 kegs today, absolutely perfect. All holding pressure, not one ding in it. After taking off the stickers, it should polish up very nice thank you should I want to go that path.

For info, according to the despatch stamp post mark, it was despatched on Sep 21 and today is Nov 21. Two months to my door to Brisbane AU.

Thank you Matt.
PeterS

Received my 4 kegs today, sent 21st of september.

All 4 are in good condition, one has a small ding top and bottom. Overall condition is better than I expected im very happy.

Ben

I purchased a couple of small items from Tom Hargraves but found that shipping took waaay to long (12weeks) and in the end I only ended up with a saving of about $10-$15 so I prefer to get as much as I can locally, less waiting. :p

Matts kegs on the other hand have all been great and worth the wait. Not one dud ;)

Very happy chappy
Received 6 kegs from Matt all held pressure and in good general condition. Packaging was a little flimsy and my extras only just made it because the plastic bag holding the extras had come apart and lost some outside of the broken box. Minimal loss however only a couplr "O Rings"
Took 11 weeks. for 4 and 9 weeks for the other 2. All arrived together.

Latest posts

Back