Survey: Kegs From U.s.

• Thread starter mchitiea
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello TL,
The kegs did come with a complete set of O-rings, but I did order a few sets for my other kegs + poppets as well. It's interesting to note that we are not the only ones with dented containers :)

Can you please tell me what PRV is?

Roach, next time I order kegs, it won't be off ebay! I have learnt my lesson, but the quote above sums it up regarding F_B post.

Mike, you are right - if the kegs are cheap, there must be a reason.....

there is a bloke in perth when i was there selling very good cond kegs at a very good price.not sure if hes still doing it but some of the perth guys may be able to help out.i scored a few off him.pics posted awhile back.

cheers
big d

Yeah, I got a bag of o-rings with mine.

Paid only $18USD per keg.

Yes, I know that is cheap and I shouldn't have expected much, but the real issue here is that Matt has not been honest in his description of the kegs.

PZ.

roach said:
With this decline in quality, I reckon you are better off getting these rebuilt kegs from BD. Although a bit more at US27.50 each at least you are guaranteed a keg that will work perfectly from the get go, and should last a long time. Getting a cheap keg which doesn't hold pressure, means you have lost the savings already through having to rekit it.
[post="83264"][/post]​

The keg price is OK but they want $US183 to ship them by US Parcel Post. Are there any shipping alternatives?

BD will ship via surface. Just enter nothing in the freight option, and in the comments ask for a quote via surface. Surface freight for a recent order from them was $70US for 2 x 5 gall, 2 x 3 gallon, 3 fridge tap sets, a heap of QD's and other bits and pieces. Took 8 weeks and arrived 2 weeks ago. The rebuilt 5 gall kegs(were US25.50 each at the time)worked out at $42 Aussie landed

That's a bit more like it!
Thanks Roach

PhilS said:
Hello TL,
The kegs did come with a complete set of O-rings, but I did order a few sets for my other kegs + poppets as well. It's interesting to note that we are not the only ones with dented containers :)

Can you please tell me what PRV is?

Roach, next time I order kegs, it won't be off ebay! I have learnt my lesson, but the quote above sums it up regarding F_B post.

Mike, you are right - if the kegs are cheap, there must be a reason.....
[post="83275"][/post]​

Sorry to confuse - PRV = Pressure Relief Valve...
Despite the dents etc, I'd say you're still way in front compared to what local HBS's flog these kegs for. Pity they were pretty crappy but its better than no kegs at all, or, paying buku dollars for the same damn kegs here in Oz!

Cheers,
TL

RobW said:
That's a bit more like it!
Thanks Roach
[post="83292"][/post]​

G'day Rob,
From memory, my box of 4 x 5 Gal cornies were around US$67 sent via surface post (USPS) from BD.

Cheers,
TL

The kegs I have received from them have always had a few dents but held pressure.

4 in a carton surface mail is the best priced freight option (I hate the 8 weeks it takes to get here to Melbourne)...

I always get a few extra bits in the order (poppets and valves) so I can fix them when they get here.

Might ask them next time to add a bit of bubble wrap to the carton.

My 2 cents.

Luke

Ross said:
As promised - here are the pics of the new kegs being imported in from China.
The relief valve has been changed to an adjustable one.
The lids are bigger than the standard kegs to enable guys with the biggest arms to reach inside for cleaning.
12L 275ml x 280ml = $160 retail
23L 275 ml x 450ml = $200 retail
View attachment 3688
Not as cheap as 2nd hand kegs, but with stocks rapidly running out, a much cheaper alternative than some on the market - The short squat design should enable a keg to be kept in a small bar fridge as well...

[post="74734"][/post]​

Well for those with money & who like things new & shiny - I understand the first shipment is Australia bound....

TL, sorry I didn't entirely read your post. The kegs were on special for $18.00US.

Another addition is to the ebay quote "NO to MINOR Dents or Dings. NO PLASTIC LIDS! If ordering more than one we will match mfg and type sent." is that I received 3 x Firestone & 1 x Corny keg :angry: .

I'm just waiting on Matt's reply .................................................

*Edit:- The poppets that I ordered fit the corny keg but not the Firestones :beerbang: .

Don't ya love it :blink:

Luke, The extra wrapping may help during transit, but I think you'll see that these dents were there before they left the US of A.

Ross, can't wait for some updated pics of your kegs :chug:

All,
Im not 100% sure who all of the dealers covered in this lengthy thread are, but I found this mob on the net

US Keg Dealer

Unfortunately when I enquired, he said after some bad experiences, he had given up delivering to Oz. However, at USD $13 each, maybe a bulk order could change his mind? <_<

Then again, some may already have dealt with him, and he may be dealing crap kegs??? :eek:

Just a thought.

I don't want the world to run out of kegs begore I get into kegging!!!! :angry:

M

The kegs we have now are the same as always. There is no such thing as "bottom of the barrel".
You just happened to get, from what I've seen from you pics, standard kegs WITH SOME MINOR DENTS!.
Honestly, looking at the SMALL DENT ON THE BOTTOM AND ONE ON TOP, I can see that you may not know how bad kegs can be. The keg I saw in the pic that has only those TWO SMALL DENTS is just fine and normal condition.
-If you want NEW, PERFECT CONDITION, we can send some $75usd EACH kegs to you!
-I really have to say that the old addage is true: "If something is good, noone says anything...if someone thinks something is bad, they tell everyone!".
-I have never really "let loose" on some of our buyers, but I do have to say, in this instance, I detect some whining!.
Matt.

Maybe some of the members who have placed their observations in the last 2 pages of the thread linked above would like to add their input first hand?

I wasnt the one who has claimed to have been gypped.

Over to the forum......

M (Slightly singed, but on the most part, flame proof....).

All 4 of my kegs had minor dings in them, just like the ones pictured earlier in this topic - it's not a big deal unless you like virgin new kegs and you're prepared to pay the cosmetic premium.
That said, they all held pressure and I didn't have to break out the hammer to get the lid to seal properly. I have one in service right now and it's working fine.
The replacement O-rings for the lid and posts, and the poppets were a real bonus and my keg works like new, despite looking somewhat used!

I'm a happy kegger and would recommend these guys to anyone - remember you are buying cheap used kegs and you shouldn't expect to have a Cadillac delivered if you're paying for a Dodge!

Cheers,
TL

Matt, in regard to your ebay statement when I brought these kegs from this page

These kegs have just been pulled from service due to the phazing out of Premix soda. These ARE NOT "seconds" or "junkers". These are and always have been first line kegs. Our kegs are Cleaned and sanitized by Pepsi using their automatic cleaning machinery. Pressure checked; sent pressurized for keg/seal integrity and to let you know they are good when you get them. NO to MINOR Dents or Dings. NO PLASTIC LIDS! If ordering more than one we will match mfg and type sent. 5 piece gasket sets for $2.00 extra. New poppets for $2.50/each. Barb end OR MFL quick disconnects for $9/pair (MFL Swivel Nuts; $1.50/e). Can send up to 4 kegs per box. NO MINIMUM QTY LIMIT! Please note that ONLY our 3 gal kegs come stickerless. Some of these 5gal kegs still have stickers on them. DIMENSIONS: 8.5"W, 25"H. "

In this text you write, & I quote "These ARE NOT "seconds" or "junkers"..."NO to MINOR Dents or Dings."..."If ordering more than one we will match mfg and type sent"

Now clearly these kegs have dents, and above you have contradicted the ebay desrcription. I was sent 3X firestone & 1X cornelius keg.

The poppets I ordered are my fault as I didn't ask were to be matched to the dispatched kegs I purchased.

Two of these kegs have a lot of cracking on and around the rubber tops of which the pics do not show properly.

I appreciate the cheap price, but I don't believe that I am whining as I am simply replying to your ebay description. I probably would have gone for the better ones from you BD website.

Anyway PM sent Matt, as I haven't received your emails

Trough Lolly said:
All 4 of my kegs had minor dings in them, just like the ones pictured earlier in this topic - it's not a big deal unless you like virgin new kegs and you're prepared to pay the cosmetic premium.
That said, they all held pressure and I didn't have to break out the hammer to get the lid to seal properly. I have one in service right now and it's working fine.
The replacement O-rings for the lid and posts, and the poppets were a real bonus and my keg works like new, despite looking somewhat used!

I'm a happy kegger and would recommend these guys to anyone - remember you are buying cheap used kegs and you shouldn't expect to have a Cadillac delivered if you're paying for a Dodge!

Cheers,
TL
[post="84427"][/post]​

Certainly better value for money than sourcing them locally. Happy kegger here as well. May not look like new, have the odd ding and stickers but they do the job, have used the replacement O-rings that came with the kegs. Will be ordering again shortly.

Edit: spelling

Yeah, my main issue I suppose is that they were not as described :blink:

I have ordered more anyway as it's still a good deal...just not an accurately described product :ph34r:

PZ.

Back