Suggestions for a Pilsneresque ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motman

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for a few Suggestions on next brew - I've been happily churning out APA And IPA recently but would like to try something that my wife might be wiling to drink and I can stomach.. One of the few beers we both really enjoy is Pilsner Urquell but being my third AG brew and the Middle of summer in Brisbane, I don't think I'm up for a tricky lager just yet..

So I was thinking of something a bit similar using ale like a kolsch

Stupid phone went and posted before I was finished. I wanted to continue on and say I would really prefer a more bitter and hoppy beer than most kolsches out there and I'm not so keen on the German hops.. Wondering if I can use a little gypsum and go mostly Saaz with an otherwise kolsch build?

Alternatively, would love other beer style suggestions, as I'm not as beer educated as I'd like to be.

Cheers!

You still need temp control, low temp fermenting and patience with Kolsch yeast so have a crack at a pilsner if that's the beer you like. Kolsch and pilsner malt bill are similar and use saaz.

Kolsch is a little more forgiving than a Pilsner, but not by a lot. If you can't control fermenting temps, you'll struggle to make either. If you can keep the ferment in the low 20s an American wheat (50:50 wheat to pils/pale malt, US-05, hops as you please). cascade works well as does Amarillo or Galaxy.

1007 German ale is great for that. But yeah, keep it around 15 or so if you can.

A 'Pilsnerish' Ale? I don't *really* think that can be done. They're two completely different styles of beer.

Why not try a Steam Ale? They seem to be cleaner tasting than regular ales, but done at a temperature that you might be able to maintain.

You may be able to try using the San Francisco lager yeast (can't remember the number) which allegedly can remain clean-fermenting at ale temperatures.

Disclaimer: I've never used it so can't vouch for the claim.

Thanks all!

I do actually have a fermenting fridge - but it's outside on the veranda in 35c heat most of the time, so lagering at 4c for a month or so seems like more of a winter activity. Also, I'm not sure I want to throw in additional room for error with pilsner malt (needing the extra mashing steps and boiling off the DMS) at this stage in my brewing career.

I'll check out the steam ale (do some taste testing) and an american wheat.

Cheers gents.

No extra mashing steps required, and forget about DMS. German ale, or wyeast 2565 @ 15c, 1.045, 25-30 IBU however you like. 2 weeks primary, another week secondary if you can be bothered, then keg and drink.

Thanks all, think I'll have a crack with barret butston ale malt, German ale yeast at 15 and ferment like its a kolsch.. With some Saaz hops and reasonable bitterness in the hopes it'll hide any flaws... If the wife doesn't drink it, I'll just have to nail it all myself I suppose

A Dortmunder is a great style for a reasonably "neutral" beer and they are generally forgiving to make as the water can be hard but will still give a great result.
From memory the ibu's are around 28 which has some hop character but it wont be over the top for your wife.
As mentioned above, you could brew it with an S189 lager yeast at 18 deg or just ferment it as low as you can.

Cheers

Maybe it's just me but I've tried German Ale Yeast once and it produced a dirty tasting sulphurous beer. I nearly tossed the keg but put it away for four months, and it turned into an absolute Stunner. However if you don't want to wait too long (as you said you can't be arsed to lager for months) then I'd suggest using S-189 at ale temps as suggested:

BB Pale, Saaz.
10 days at 19 degrees
10 days lagering

If you use Craftbrewer for your supplies and happen to be over at Capalaba pop into the Bacchus section and try one of their S-189 brews and have a chat with one of the lads or Ross if he's available.

My money is on American wheat, 50/50 wey prem pils and b/b wheat malt. All cascade, or centennial . Ibus to 25 with 3 grams per litre in the whirlpool us-05, Nottingham or wlp 011 start at 15 for 3 days then raise 1 degree a day. Can u get a whole fridge and temp controller. Probs the most important part of the recipe. Good luck. U might want a brew buddy if your misses doesn't like the beers u like. I wish I had a brew buddy at the start, My misses loves easy drinkers, eg 100% Vienna and halla m/f to 25.
Why r u putting gypsum in a lager? Good luck.

s-189 people ferment at 18 so you could give that a shot.

Bribie G said:
Maybe it's just me but I've tried German Ale Yeast once and it produced a dirty tasting sulphurous beer. I nearly tossed the keg but put it away for four months, and it turned into an absolute Stunner.
1007? What temp did you ferment at?

I have been using WLP029 German Kolsch @ 18° in American Wheat style beers.
Clean and crisp and lovely.

Try the wyeast German ale. Great yeast, malty and clean.

I used the dried K-97 from Craftbrewer.
OK. Not used that one. 1007 is a cracker but keep temps low. I aim for the wort to be at 14 for at least 72 hours so I set the stc at 11.5.

Once FG is reached she needs a good 3 weeks in the cold but what a yeast.

Back