Stout Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRO

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just a quick question about my stout. Im brewing a thomas coopers Irish stout at the moment and because i want to make it as smoth as say a guiness, how should i prime the bottles? could i use say a teaspoon of light dried malt, or just stick to sugar or the drops??

Cheers
BIGRO

Hi guys

Just a quick question about my stout. Im brewing a thomas coopers Irish stout at the moment and because i want to make it as smoth as say a guiness, how should i prime the bottles? could i use say a teaspoon of light dried malt, or just stick to sugar or the drops??

Cheers
BIGRO

Hi Bigro - Neither will make any noticable difference to your final beer - both are fine. Guiness gets its creaminess from the Nitro/Co2 mix it's dispensed with, unfortunately you can't really replicate this out the bottle.

cheers Ross

try adding 2 chiko babies to each tallie Bigro-wont make any creamier but will add a flavour thats hard to beat

cheers,dan

try adding 2 chiko babies to each tallie Bigro-wont make any creamier but will add a flavour thats hard to beat

cheers,dan

Is that instead of, or as well as priming sugar, dan?

cheers,

microbe

From memory, I think it's instead of as chiko babies are mainly sugar. I think I've seen this in another thread about stouts.
You possibly could try jelly beans as well. Not the Natural Confectionery ones tho. Someone reported that they don't appear to work as well.

From memory, I think it's instead of as chiko babies are mainly sugar. I think I've seen this in another thread about stouts.
You possibly could try jelly beans as well. Not the Natural Confectionery ones tho. Someone reported that they don't appear to work as well.

Hmmmmm Might try the chickos in a few, but i have those coopers drops. i dont want my stout to be over fizzy, just kind of smoth and easy drinking. so should i only put say 1 drop in per pet bottle?? (coopers pet)

half priming sugar will obviously make your beer less carbonated, and therefore give it a smoother mouthfeel.

Hi guys

Cheers
BIGRO
hi...
i've never done it ...might next time ...try this link below ...explains and has tables with various priming sugar types
http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...mpleGuide.shtml
also this one is my favourite for normal bulk priming info ...the table (with grams of sugar vrs FG) is excellent i find
http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=13
what recipe did you use in the end please ?...any chance of posting it ...
cheers simpletotoro

Hmmmmm Might try the chickos in a few, but i have those coopers drops. i dont want my stout to be over fizzy, just kind of smoth and easy drinking. so should i only put say 1 drop in per pet bottle?? (coopers pet)
Yeah, that was me with the Natural confectionary beans. Glad I only did it in 10 stubbies. A couple of months on and they're still flat (and full of gunky stuff from the jellybeans!).
IMO just experiment with a few longnecks. not the whole batch. Oh, and enjoy the stout! sounds nice

hi...
i've never done it ...might next time ...try this link below ...explains and has tables with various priming sugar types
http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...mpleGuide.shtml
also this one is my favourite for normal bulk priming info ...the table (with grams of sugar vrs FG) is excellent i find
http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=13
what recipe did you use in the end please ?...any chance of posting it ...
cheers simpletotoro

The recipe is really simple. all it is it the can, 1kg of liquid malt extract (light) and 500g of dextrose to boost the grog up a bit and the yeast from the tin (coopers irish stout)

With the bottles im going to put a level teaspoon in each bottle so i hope that this will give the right amount of "fizz'.

Cheers

Is that instead of, or as well as priming sugar, dan?

cheers,

microbe

yes microbe use the chiko babes instead of priming sugar
never tried jelly beans tho....
just tried an irish red ale i made and i used this raspberry jam i bought from an old nanna at the local markets,flavour is fken awesome but i think ive put in too much jam,nearly lost an eye when i popped the lid off :excl: plus the raspberry seeds and pith floating in the glass is a very unique experience :huh:

cheers,dan

yes microbe use the chiko babes instead of priming sugar
never tried jelly beans tho....
just tried an irish red ale i made and i used this raspberry jam i bought from an old nanna at the local markets,flavour is fken awesome but i think ive put in too much jam,nearly lost an eye when i popped the lid off :excl: plus the raspberry seeds and pith floating in the glass is a very unique experience :huh:

cheers,dan

Geez dan. that does sound different!!!

Hey Bigro,
Just use what you have on hand. Carb drops will work just fine: just use the recommended amount per PET bottle (I think it's two for a 740ml PET). You may as well go for the full carbonation, if you want to emulate Guinness. Although it won't be quite the same without the nitrogen/CO2 mix it should give you enough gas to get a good sized creamy head. If you wanted to use sugar or dextrose intsead it would be 180g (3/4 of a cup) for a 23L batch.

To be honest I don't see a lot of difference between a malt primed or a sugar/dex primed beer. It's such a small amount per bottle that it's not really noticable. Sugar and dex is cheaper too. I only do all-malt priming when I do German style beers just to try to be authentic.

Hey Bigro,
Just use what you have on hand. Carb drops will work just fine: just use the recommended amount per PET bottle (I think it's two for a 740ml PET). You may as well go for the full carbonation, if you want to emulate Guinness. Although it won't be quite the same without the nitrogen/CO2 mix it should give you enough gas to get a good sized creamy head. If you wanted to use sugar or dextrose intsead it would be 180g (3/4 of a cup) for a 23L batch.
I completely agree with "use what ever you have on hand". 2 carb drops per 650-750ml bottle for full carbonation. Priming/mixing rates for bulk priming are listed on the site (I cant find atm). Simpletorro has postede them a couple of times. use those if you go with bulk prime,

Disagree with
You may as well go for the full carbonation, if you want to emulate Guinness.

Guinness is not a heavy carbonated beer IMO. I would have said use half the priming agent (in fact that exactly what I did with my last batch of Gunniess style stout). Your spot on about the nitrogen/CO2 giving it its head and a bit of body, but other than that, I would have said there was very little carbonation.

I dont think you need to worry too much about getting this like a guiness. This is a fantastic beer. I've made it 3 times with 1kg light liq malt , 500g lactose, 100g corn syrup & 14g goldings hops. Filled to 20 Litres & used the yeast supplied. Each time it's been silky smooth with a small fine & creamy head.

Mind you it takes a good 4-5 months in the bottle.

Obviously it's a fairly light & sweet stout due to the light malt & lactose. If you're after a big bad punch in the face stout then give Morgan's Dockside stout a go with dark malt & more hops

I completely agree with "use what ever you have on hand". 2 carb drops per 650-750ml bottle for full carbonation. Priming/mixing rates for bulk priming are listed on the site (I cant find atm). Simpletorro has postede them a couple of times. use those if you go with bulk prime,

Disagree with
Guinness is not a heavy carbonated beer IMO. I would have said use half the priming agent (in fact that exactly what I did with my last batch of Gunniess style stout). Your spot on about the nitrogen/CO2 giving it its head and a bit of body, but other than that, I would have said there was very little carbonation.

Yeah, you're right but the only way to emualte the head at home in the bottle is with CO2. The only way to get something like it at home, is, IMO, to go for the full carb.

Yeah, you're right but the only way to emualte the head at home in the bottle is with CO2. The only way to get something like it at home, is, IMO, to go for the full carb.
i only bulk-prime my stout for 23 litres ,with usually only around 95-105 g depending on fg...i personally find the use of specialty grains ...(i use 150 g chocolate,150 g roast barley,and sometimes 150 g crystal) gives the beer the most lovely creamy head about 6-8 mm in depth to the very last drop ...i also usually only add all malt (1.5kg) to my stout or maybe malt(1.35kg) and maltodextrin (around 150g) to beef up the body a little ...it works well for me ...
cheers simpletotoro

Yes, spec grains definitely do something magical with head formation and retention!!!!!

Latest posts

Back