Belgian / German Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptnToast

Reaction score
Hi Guys ... Have a question regarding a Kit I picked up ..

Labled as a German Beer Kit .. has the usual can and Liquid Wheat Malt ... Has a Teabag for the 15g of Tettenang Hop ...

In the past when I've tried for a Hoegaarden style i've used Orange zest and coriander seeds in a mini boil

Hoping to double my fun here and do the mini steep of the orange and coriander seeds and also steep the Tettenang hops as a addition.

Question is - Am I over doing the flavours here .. Will the hops and the Orange/ coriander clash taste wise.

Another thoguth was to save the Tettenang (15g) and dry hop closer tot he end of fermentation ...

Thanks in advance .. just didn't want to stuff up a batch cause i got a bit too over zealous

If I was doing this all grain, I'd boil the coriander seeds (crushed) and orange peel for 10mins and add the hops either then or flameout or cool whirlpool. They wont clash if you keep them all pretty much the same weight. The peel weight will depend on the freshness. I've done both and prefer fresh because I like the 'bright' orange flavour fresh gives over dried. Dried gives me more of a bitter orange flavour. I reckon your proposed mini boil without dry hopping is best, but really wont matter. Wont get much bitterness out of 15g low AA hops for a 10 min mini boil.

If I was doing this all grain, I'd boil the coriander seeds (crushed) and orange peel for 10mins and add the hops either then or flameout or cool whirlpool. They wont clash if you keep them all pretty much the same weight. The peel weight will depend on the freshness. I've done both and prefer fresh because I like the 'bright' orange flavour fresh gives over dried. Dried gives me more of a bitter orange flavour. I reckon your proposed mini boil without dry hopping is best, but really wont matter. Wont get much bitterness out of 15g low AA hops for a 10 min mini boil.
Forgot to say - I've also done it with Tangelo peel and it was great. I used it fresh and a whole skin. It wasnt close to the original, but a lovely beer.

Thanks .. this is awesome feedback ... good to know they should all play nice ... Yeah agree fresh orange peel seems juicier somehow ... Thansk again

Maybe you are confusing or mixing two distinct styles of wheat beer.
Bitter Curacao orange zest and coriander are generally used in Belgian Wheat beers, such as Hoegaarden. It also incorporated raw wheat as an ingrediant.
German, or Bavarian wheat beers are usually quite simple, mostly malted wheat 50% minimum , Pils malt, and some very minor components of specialty malts if any at all. Tettnang is a great hop for a Bavarian Wheat, but it is generally not dry hopped, and the IBU is usually in the range of only 10 to 15 IBU added at the beginning of the boil.
Each of the Belgian and German wheat styles also have dedicated yeasts specific to the style.
Still, it's homebrewing, and if it floats your boat, who am I to argue with you? Good luck.

"Bitter Curacao orange zest and coriander are generally used in Belgian Wheat beers, such as Hoegaarden. It also incorporated raw wheat as an ingrediant.
German, or Bavarian wheat beers are usually quite simple, mostly malted wheat 50% minimum , Pils malt, and some very minor components of specialty malts if any at all. Tettnang is a great hop for a Bavarian Wheat, but it is generally not dry hopped, and the IBU is usually in the range of only 10 to 15 IBU added at the beginning of the boil.
Each of the Belgian and German wheat styles also have dedicated yeasts specific to the style."
Quoting wiki, without giving them due recognition is plagiarism, Wheat beer - Wikipedia It's a copy paste job, word for word.
I don't know a great deal about wheat beer and don't claim to, it's not my field of expertise, but my humble efforts have been favourably reviewed by european guests, even so I would hesitate to give advice.
I donate to wiki, I doubt the poster does but is happy to use their content without giving them their due (and it doesn't cost anything financially to do so)
Nuff said.

Contrary to your suggestion, I have not quoted wiki, nor plagiarised anything.
I've brewed both styles and my post was from my personal experience of brewing these.
Nuff said.

Quoting wiki, without giving them due recognition is plagiarism, Wheat beer - Wikipedia It's a copy paste job, word for word.
I don't know a great deal about wheat beer and don't claim to, it's not my field of expertise, but my humble efforts have been favourably reviewed by european guests, even so I would hesitate to give advice.
I donate to wiki, I doubt the poster does but is happy to use their content without giving them their due (and it doesn't cost anything financially to do so)
Nuff said.
Too much was said. I followed your link, read through the article and have no idea what you are talking about. Some information may have come from Wiki or many other sources, but none of the post is word for word. As a general rule, citations for information that is common knowledge and available in many sources are helpful and welcome, but not mandatory, an issue I often confronted as a contributor to and editor of reference works. One caveat is that multiple sources sometimes all trace back to one, in which case a citation is much needed.

I am afraid you cannot make a belgian witbier with a german weisbeer kit, belgian witbier uses unmalted wheat where a weisbeer uses malted wheat, the 2 beer styles are also quite different.

Maybe you are confusing or mixing two distinct styles of wheat beer.
Bitter Curacao orange zest and coriander are generally used in Belgian Wheat beers, such as Hoegaarden. It also incorporated raw wheat as an ingrediant.
Each of the Belgian and German wheat styles also have dedicated yeasts specific to the style.
Still, it's homebrewing, and if it floats your boat, who am I to argue with you? Good luck.
Thanks .. noted about the Dry hop .. will be doing a hop tea then .. thanks for the direction about this hop

Latest posts

Back