Stir Plate Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to get hold of one - thanks, rowan

2nd round SA and WA stirplates! (now open to all Australia)

1.Woodmac S.A
2.breaky SA
3.OLDS2006 SA
4. Plastic Man NSW
5.mauriceatron NSW
6.beachy SA
7.bennyc ACT
8.rowanb NSW

Yep Altstart, arrived the other day.

I did have a little problem with mine though. When it arrived one of the magnets was dislodged so i glued it back on with super glue. Found a power supply I had laying around, switched it on and nothing except a little wobble from the fan.

Not good I think.

Proceeded to check all manner of things, then I just put the stir bar on he magnets and it would only attach to one side, not both. So I thought ok I have put the magnet on with the wrong polarity up. Turned it around and hey presto away it went.

Just thought I'd post this info incase someone else has a similar problem.

Cheers.
Farside

I'd like to get hold of one - thanks, rowan

2nd round SA and WA stirplates! (now open to all Australia)

1.Woodmac S.A
2.breaky SA
3.OLDS2006 SA
4. Plastic Man NSW
5.mauriceatron NSW
6.beachy SA
7.bennyc ACT
8.rowanb NSW

all done...you'll here from me soon.

Cheers
Phil

Mine arrived last week, cheers mate.... ;)

Just trying to find something to power it, tried every adaptor ive got and nothing fits..... :angry:

CB

Just trying to find something to power it, tried every adaptor ive got and nothing fits..... :angry:

CB

I don't know what it is called exactly, but I luckily had one. If you go into a Jaycar or similar electronics store they can give you the exact model. Or you can dish out for one of the multi adaptor things and pick the ones that work.

On this item, I think we are talking about the one that points upwards, and you are looking for a 12v imput, unsure on desired amps.

CB

me too mate, tried 10 different adaptors, then went and bought a multi adaptor

the one I got was 12v 250mA and it is only just enough to spin 1.5litres of water, I am going to try a 15v 500mA one, after I change the plug

Paul

Cheers guys, they have those sort of adaptors at Woolworths for lik,e $25 with all different plugs but I dont want to spend that much for plugs I dont need... :unsure:

I might just go to Dick Smith with the Stir Plate and get something that matches if possible.... :rolleyes:

:icon_cheers: CB

I am trying to pm board members involved in the Qld bulk buy with my bank account details for postage reimbursment. I have sent one pm and I am being told that I have to wait 1hr between each pm. I understand that this forum is a good target for spammers and I can see why this restriction has been placed on pm messages. In order for me to get this info out to the following people can Mearesy,Paulwolf350,Cleanbrewer and NickB pm me their email addresses.

Cheers Altstart

Hi Vic/Tas participants.

I picked up the stirplates from the postoffice this morning.
Aussie post tried to deliver them on the 29th, but I was away last week.

So if you could please either send me a self adressed postpack, or contact me to arrange pick up.

cheers
Moray

I am trying to pm board members involved in the Qld bulk buy with my bank account details for postage reimbursment. I have sent one pm and I am being told that I have to wait 1hr between each pm. I understand that this forum is a good target for spammers and I can see why this restriction has been placed on pm messages. In order for me to get this info out to the following people can Mearesy,Paulwolf350,Cleanbrewer and NickB pm me their email addresses.

Cheers Altstart

Payment sent Altsart, Cheers..

:icon_cheers: CB

....the one I got was 12v 250mA and it is only just enough to spin 1.5litres of water, I am going to try a 15v 500mA one, after I change the plug
Paul
Hi Paul,
I've just started to look into these stirplates, and I dont think you need to up the voltage as such.
Derrin has built these with a "LM317 adjustable voltage regulator" (a small 3pin IC chip), which helps the unit accept a wide range of dc power supply's. (12v or 14.4v power tool chargers would seem perfect).
I do agree that 250mA might only just be enough, but 500mA should be heaps. As a comparison, a decent computer case cooling fan draws around 200mA
Hope this helps/makes sense.
Cheers,
Richie.

all done...you'll here from me soon.

Cheers
Phil

i'm still waiting on derrin to send me an invoice, so I haven't forgotten about this last round of stir plates. Just waiting for derrin to get enough supplies. I don't think it will be much longer.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Paul,
I've just started to look into these stirplates, and I dont think you need to up the voltage as such.
Derrin has built these with a "LM317 adjustable voltage regulator" (a small 3pin IC chip), which helps the unit accept a wide range of dc power supply's. (12v or 14.4v power tool chargers would seem perfect).
I do agree that 250mA might only just be enough, but 500mA should be heaps. As a comparison, a decent computer case cooling fan draws around 200mA
Hope this helps/makes sense.
Cheers,
Richie.

I just finished building my own, I got a 12v 1amp switched mode brick and matching socket for around $10 (see my post in Gear And Equipment has a short video)

Andy

Ive just got myself a power supply with the changeable tips. Does anyone know if the inside or outside should be positive?

Thanks
Andrew.

I just received my stirplate in the mail - huzzah! Looks good with a nice wide surface for flasks. Now I'll be looking into power supply options like others here. Big thanks to Moray for organising Vic/Tas distribution of these! When our paths cross - perhaps at a future case swap or something - I will need to give you a perfectly attenuated beer fermented with a healthy starter. :beer:

By the looks of things, we did pretty well in this bulk buy, compared to another one :p

Thanks to Moray for being the vic/tas rep....
Got mine running with a Jaycar switchable power supply...12 v...and no probs...

Now in the 3 days i have shown this to some brewing friends , a couple have shown interest....
Just as a feeler....
Did anyone else want one ( bearing in mind 8 is a good number for postage etc)
I'm willing to be the man...if we can get eight.....
Cheers
Ferg
(Victoria)

What mA did you get ferg?

I just went to Jaycar and got a 12v 400mA and its only getting a small vortex in 2 litres of water might need to go back and get bigger one

Back