Stir Plate Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwoody1014

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to build a stir plate but having a lot of trouble. Followed many posts but still no luck.
My fan is 12v and 2.5A
My power supply is 9v DC and 1.5A

When connecting power directly to the fan it keeps getting faster then eventually cuts out.
I tried adding a potentiometer (500ohm then 5000ohm) but the fan would only turn on at the top of the turn and at full speed.
Tried adding an LM317T regulator but blew both pots up! Maybe a wiring issues?

Finally I followed this post http://www.topofthehillbrew.com/stir-plate/ and I think I'm close. The fan turns on, albeit quite slowly, but then stops almost straight away.

Is there anyone out there with more electronics knowledge than me (which is near zero) that can help? Have spent almost a week on this and may just go buy a stir plate soon :unsure:

Thanks heaps!
Dan

Ok thanks. I tried a 12v 1A but it didn't spin at all. So it's the amps that's the key? Sorry, told you I knew nothing about electronics!

Volts and amps have an interesting relationship when it comes to motors. The more load on the motor the higher the current draw without voltage drop, until it all turns bad and the power supply cannot supply sufficient current.

And then some bloke invent Alternating current and things got really interesting :D

what kinda fan are you using that is 2.5A? all you need is a simple pc cooling fan drawing 100-200mA

It's a pc fan from an old Dell tower. Might try and find another one from work

2.5A 12V is a serious fan for a stir plate. My PC CPU fan is 0.2A and it can go pretty hard.
For a DC system, the voltage and fan speed are related (excluding PWM and similar fancy stuff). The current will increase as the load/demand increases. Plugging a 9V 1.5A supply should immediately spin the fan slower than its rated speed. The fact you've put a 12V supply on it and it doesn't spin at all makes me think there is something wrong with the fan.

Just wired up a $1 (yep, one dollar!) 80mm fan I got from MSY. No idea of the volts or amps but it works fine, although the pot doesn't seem to change to speed at all. Not too concerned at this stage cause the stir bar sticks and the vortex is ok I think. Perhaps the pot is too big at 5000ohms?

Anyway no time to sort it out now, need to do a starter tomorrow ready for my first IPA.

Thanks again!

Yep, wired it up and the speed is perfect for a 1L starter. The pot does not seem to change the speed of the fan but I'm not too concerned as it's doing the job at the moment.

mofox1 said:
With the amount of faffing about with different fans, broken fans, magnet spacing and super gluing my fingers together... This would have been a much better option.

Just add enclosure.
Agreed. Wish I new about this 2 weeks ago!

Latest posts

Back