Stir Plate Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read his webpage and he is not recommending a huge whirlpool so not phased about it now!

My stir plate arrived today - thanks Moray for looking after Tas, Phillip for kicking this one off and Derrin.

I had a few 12V DC adaptors that fit the socket on the stir plate. Two (from a HDD and a media player) were barely moving 2L of water. Another adaptor (for charging the battery for a cordless drill) allows for a reasonable vortex if desired. The one from the media player was rated to 1.5A and the one for the drill was rated to 0.4A. The one for the drill appears to be better for the stir plate as it is not as well regulated as the others (e.g. unloaded voltage was 13.5V for the drill adaptor but only 12.2V for the others).

I just went to Jaycar, and they have a number of different multi-plug 12v power supplies. However, they have a range of different amps. From 400ma to 5amp(I think, but they start to get expensive). I was thinking of getting a 2.5amp version. Does anyone know if this will work OK? ie., is it enough amps, or too many amps?? My hardware/electrical knowledge has been surpassed in this matter. (This is assuming that the plug will actually fit).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks to Moray for being the vic/tas rep....
Got mine running with a Jaycar switchable power supply...12 v...and no probs...

Now in the 3 days i have shown this to some brewing friends , a couple have shown interest....
Just as a feeler....
Did anyone else want one ( bearing in mind 8 is a good number for postage etc)
I'm willing to be the man...if we can get eight.....
Cheers
Ferg
(Victoria)

I'd be up for one, you cant beat that price!

I just went to Jaycar, and they have a number of different multi-plug 12v power supplies. However, they have a range of different amps. From 400ma to 5amp(I think, but they start to get expensive). I was thinking of getting a 2.5amp version. Does anyone know if this will work OK? ie., is it enough amps, or too many amps?? My hardware/electrical knowledge has been surpassed in this matter. (This is assuming that the plug will actually fit).

Thanks in advance.

I ended up getting a 400ma 12volt power supply, and it works just fine.

Next time one comes up for NSW i would be up for 2 stir plates. One is for me and one is for a friend who is has too much pride to submitt to buying one after his several attempts at a DIY job have failed . As for me i had one DIY attempt and managed to burn my finger and almost catch the kitchen table on fire. Fortunately SWMBO was not at home. :angry:

So put me down for 2 if there is a NSW bulk buy going on.

Thanks

Mine arrived today Phillip thanks heaps for organising ... I am wrapped!

Woody

I've tacked this post onto this tread 'cos I've got a problem ...

My electronics wizz mate is making me a plate stirer with magnets glued to a computer cooling fan. How do you get the magnets balanced? We've had two goes and they're still not balanced ... out of wack ... :wacko: .

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

:icon_cheers: ghhb

ok, I admit it.
My DIY stir plate doesn't work :D

Can we please start a new NSW bulk-buy?

How does this work, do we just create a list of 8 people in NSW and someone has these in bulk to send us?

NSW:
1. tumi2
2. BjornJ

thanks
Bjorn
(I will make that stirrer work. Some day.. Some day..)

Phil

Picked up the stir plate from the post office yesterday. Look great. Will fire it up on the weekend. Thanks for organising and shipping them out. Much appreciated. I owe you a beer or three !!

Cheers - Richard.

To the ppl who got one of these units how did they work out ? Still working fine ?
I contacted the seller when I saw his website & he said there had been a few Bulk Buys through AHB
Anyone using it for 5L starters ? Handle it OK ?

Latest details are they are $42 US each but sent individually is another $32 US
Derrin says he can ship 8 of them for around $65

Hi all, how do I go about getting two of these in Brisbane?

To the ppl who got one of these units how did they work out ? Still working fine ?
I contacted the seller when I saw his website & he said there had been a few Bulk Buys through AHB
Anyone using it for 5L starters ? Handle it OK ?

Latest details are they are $42 US each but sent individually is another $32 US
Derrin says he can ship 8 of them for around $65

I would throw my hat into the ring if something got started for queensland.

Yeah I consider US $32 too much for delivery of a single unit & couldn't justify it
If he used 1st class international it would be at least half of that (but no tracking)
I have imported heaps of stuff on 1st class international & its always pretty quick (7-14 days) & cheap as

Anyway Florian, potof4x & myself make 3
If vonromanz was still up for a couple that would make 5
Getting close to 8 .......

Anyone else interested in one ?
I don't think location is a biggie .......... may just mean the difference of a couple dollars in local delivery

Hey guys,

I have built a few stirplates here in Australia which I can supply delivered for $60 including plugpack, stirbars, and express post. I could really use some feedback so if you're keen to test one please PM me.

I have posted more details, and pictures here in the AHB marketplace forum:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=46316

I`ve opted to buy & test out one of Mikes stir plates
Looks the goods & hopefully performs as well
I think Florian might have too ?

Yep, I've ordered one of Mick's too. Should arrive tomorrow if Auspost keeps their express promise.
Don't think there should be much more interest for the bulk buy, I have asked Mick and he uses an integrated circuit as well, like the plate from the bulk buy, so it should be a good one.

Florian

Back