Steralization Question ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxairtime

Reaction score
Hi all u felow lovers of homebrew :beer: I have been brewing for 2 yrs now with out steralizing and encounted my first infection last brew :angry: Not wanting too go through the usual pink neon and that crap.I read a post about a guy who uses a spray bottle filled with meth spirits and water,simply sprays vats and all equipment before the brew B) Any one use this technique or some other way of saving time for sterilization any ideas much appreciated :party:

Methylated spirits is not a good idea, it contains denaturing agents which will definitely not taste good and probably not be very good for him.

Alcohol as a sanitizer is effective, but only at the correct percentage and after sufficient contact time (quite a while from memory...)

You could get hold of some Peroxide or Iodine based sanitiser. There are also other commercial no-rinse products out there which are sooo easy to use and no worries about fumes or rinsing afterwards.

lasting a year without an infection if you don't sanatise is amazing, however you had better start now, some infections can be very stubborn to remove, Craftbrewer sell a great product called starsan, it's a no rinse sanitiser and is very easy to use.

Cheers
Andrew

Hey MxAtime,

I'm with you. Not much one for hygiene for nearly a year before I lost two brews. :(

So I had a read of the wiki: Mr Clean Linky

And got some peroxide, bleach and follow the instructions to the letter. No wuckens now :D I'm not overly grubby in my brewing, but I do like the piece of mind.

And one more thing I learned is that the 6% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide will not bleach your goatee for a party! :p

InCider.

Thanx incider i think ill use bleach like the HBS guy recomended thanx for the post

Betadine from your chemist work very well. Easy to dilute as if there is colour in the solution it is effective.

If you live in dairy country then dairy sanitiser is the way to go.

cheers

Darren

Hey MxAtime,

I'm with you. Not much one for hygiene for nearly a year before I lost two brews. :(

So I had a read of the wiki: Mr Clean Linky

And got some peroxide, bleach and follow the instructions to the letter. No wuckens now :D I'm not overly grubby in my brewing, but I do like the piece of mind.

And one more thing I learned is that the 6% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide will not bleach your goatee for a party! :p

InCider.

Thanks for the link InCider -- worth reading. (Thanks to whoever wrote/contributed to it as well)

Thanx incider i think ill use bleach like the HBS guy recomended thanx for the post

No worries MxAtime - I even used lemon bleach - but none of the cervezas tasted like a lemon had been added, so I still had to buy them!

I use a pressure wash (gurney) for all cleaning, and apart from the odd sore finger, this method seems better that sanitiser/steraliser stuff. Mind you, keeping your brew kit on high rotation is the key.

Hope this Helps :D

InCider.

G'day Mxairtime

I asked a similarr question just last week. Link. some good suggestions in this thread and in the link.

Personally I think I will go with the starsan option as its the easiest chemical to get (other than mixing bleach).

Wow someone who avoids cleaning more than me :)
Impressive.

Having said that since I got hold of some PROX I've never looked back. It is sooo easy.

I have a spray bottle with a diluted PROX/Water solution and spray everything before use. Simple. No rinsing. No hassle. Just spray and use.

They only other things I use are bleach for cleaning ferms and napisan for cleaning my kegs and filter.

Hated using those other HBS cleaners (met and keg/line cleaner, etc) as they always are hard to rinse out.

Try this if you get a chance, 1 cup of vinager, and 1 cup of bleach, add a little bit of water and put the lid on the fermenter quick. this makes 100% chlorine gass which will kill anything and its cheap. i think it only has to be 20 seconds contact time before its clean. but i leave it for half an hour.

ps. dont do this inside

I buy a container of unscented Chlorine Bleach from "Insert Supermarket Chain name here" in a 5Litre container (I think), for about $3. I add about 1/2 - 1 cm depth of this into a spray bottle and then top up with water another 3 - 4 cm depth.

I liberally spray the crappers out of the inside of the fermenter and acessories with this mix. After 15 - 20 Mins, I rinse everything with hottest available tap water and away I go. Works a treat. Never any problems and costs buggerall.

ATOMT

Try this if you get a chance, 1 cup of vinager, and 1 cup of bleach, add a little bit of water and put the lid on the fermenter quick. this makes 100% chlorine gass which will kill anything and its cheap. i think it only has to be 20 seconds contact time before its clean. but i leave it for half an hour.

ps. dont do this inside

Where do we even start on this one??
http://www.firstworldwar.com/weaponry/gas.htm

I use starsan great stuff no rinsing and at the mixing ratio works out roughly 7 cents a litre.java script:emoticon(':D', 'smid_4')
:D

Cheers Paul

Quick question:

Do I need to rinse my fermenter and implements etc. after santizing them with Sod. Met.?

So far I haven't as I was under the impression it was "no rinse".

Thanks,

M

Quick question:

Do I need to rinse my fermenter and implements etc. after santizing them with Sod. Met.?

So far I haven't as I was under the impression it was "no rinse".

Thanks,

M
if your referring to sodiam metabusalfate (yes spelling is bad) then yes you need to rinse. the insturctions on the bottle should say something like "50g/L?, wash container and leave for 1 hour, then rinse". Personaly I didnt want something that I had to rinse as I still bottle. so I dont want to have to sanatize a bottle then rinse it. too much time wasting.

if your referring to sodiam metabusalfate (yes spelling is bad) then yes you need to rinse. the insturctions on the bottle should say something like "50g/L?, wash container and leave for 1 hour, then rinse". Personaly I didnt want something that I had to rinse as I still bottle. so I dont want to have to sanatize a bottle then rinse it. too much time wasting.

I think that's the chemical I'm referring too but my instructions say something along the lines of "swirl this stuff around so that it touches all surfaces which will come into contact with your brew and then let it drain for 10 minutes."

Perhaps, I'd better start rinsing! :eek:

Instructions sound like Idophor ? Brown liquid or white powder ?
If it's the powder I'd be a little peeved about the lack of an instruction to rinse.

Latest posts

Back