Steralization Question ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this if you get a chance, 1 cup of vinager, and 1 cup of bleach, add a little bit of water and put the lid on the fermenter quick. this makes 100% chlorine gass which will kill anything and its cheap. i think it only has to be 20 seconds contact time before its clean. but i leave it for half an hour.

ps. dont do this inside

Interesting...

Although there really is no point to doing this, as there are equally effective and much safer alternatives, curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I might give this a shot, of course, taking all possible safety precautions.

Just quickly, there is no reason why anybody should be using sodium metabisulphate.

i would be worried about the poison factor, also the chlorine smell might stay in the plastic and cause off flavours in your beer

Chlorine and water gives off enough gas to be effective. Rinsing is definately needed especially if making all-grain beer.

cheers

Darren

I think that's the chemical I'm referring too but my instructions say something along the lines of "swirl this stuff around so that it touches all surfaces which will come into contact with your brew and then let it drain for 10 minutes."

Perhaps, I'd better start rinsing! :eek:
If its white powder (and esp if it has a coopers label on it) then I would bet a bottle of HB on it being sodium metabusalfate, in which case you really need to rinse after use.

Inge is really right, there is no need to use the horrible stuff. unless desperate - ie you left a fermentor out for 6 weeks and forgot to clean it = swap growing in your fermentor- then nuke it! with metabus..

Back