Some hop leaves are brown, dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi, some of the hop leaves on both plants are dry, and crispy starting from the bottom.. no flower yet... is this normal?

Is it under watering or over watering or normal. Seems to be the older leaves, main shoots,

Cheers

Attachments

• AdobePhotoshopExpress_2017_12_22_125624.jpg
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_2017_12_22_125624.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 155
A common cause for this kind of damage to most plants is some sort of bug infestation or maybe a fungus. I've never grown hops but these are the sort of things that do that to my plants.

Have a good close look at the leaves on both sides for creepies or eggs. If you find anything use Google for advice.

Hi, some of the hop leaves on both plants are dry, and crispy starting from the bottom.. no flower yet... is this normal?

Is it under watering or over watering or normal. Seems to be the older leaves, main shoots,

Cheers
That is leaf scorch by the looks of it, if its only around the bottom leaves and the rest of the plants look healthy not to worry. Don't water in full sun unless you are watering just around the base, never feed on hot day's (over 27 degrees).

My Tettnang have that. Tettnang is 2nd year but it seems weaker than others I have. Maybe its that it is a colder climate developed breed and struggles with the harsh Melbourne sun.
Tettnang leaf scorch1.JPG
Tettnang leaf scorch2.JPG

Thanks , never feed on hot day? You mean water? Well that is ironic because think it is when you should , no cannot measure ph , thanks

My Tettnang have that. Tettnang is 2nd year but it seems weaker than others I have. Maybe its that it is a colder climate developed breed and struggles with the harsh Melbourne sun.View attachment 110615 View attachment 110616
My Tettnang has always done that with the first growth bull shoots, I cut it back and let it grow again. The new growth will take off and flower later in the season

This is the second year of growth, I used a natural heribcide this year, garlic and chilli, last year had a few insects eating leaves..
I probably dont do enough feeding.. thanks

http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropso...zelrigg_What_is_wrong_with_my_hops_plants.pdf

Hi I think mine could be potassium deficiency or mildew, images not exactly the same, but seems to effect only the older vine, the main shoot... and from base up....

So you think I should remove bad leaves.?
thanks
I always take off the brown or discoloured leaves, they are generally always the eldest and die off first. If you have leaves the same as your picture all the way up then it wouldn't hurt to put some sulphate of potash around the base of the plant especially as they come into bud.;

This is a different issue. Could be nutrient deficiency, but it looks like spider mite damage to me.
I'll look very close but spider mites is one pest I don't get thank fark coz I get plenty other pests to deal with. :rolleyes: Maybe a deficiency but I grew Victoria in the same bed previouse years and it was mass growth and bullet proof on all accounts. I kinda regret getting rid of the Victoria actually.

Garden show on radio today talked about broad mites that can be on purchased seedlings and leafs dying and plants that look like they have a virus could be infected and the chemicals that kill mites are toxic neem seems to be what to use to control these mites may be coming a problem because of the toxic chemicals not now being used and becoming more common.

Hi cut a few leaves off and here a few samples. Thanks

Attachments

• AdobePhotoshopExpress_2017_12_25_084500.jpg
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_2017_12_25_084500.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 97
Off topic but I had trouble with leaf miner on an orange tree, tried the neem oil several times, in the end took off every infected leaf now I have a nice healthy orange tree.
Are there many leaves like that rusty?

Back