Some hop leaves are brown, dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the past I have taken leaves and cuttings to a local nursery to get problems identified. Flower power is a bit like bunnings for plants, can be a bit hit and miss with the info. So if possible go to a independent nursery.

Better still, send that photo to a hop grower with some background, what type of hop, fertiliser used, where it's growing.

We are near the hole in the ozone, the sun is harsh in south eastern states.

When growing strawberries and tomatoes in pots around Melbourne the ideal soil and ambient temperatures are around 18-21 degrees.
I have noticed that this year a lot of browning of the leaves has been apparent this year as we had a few hot days( 30+ )late Nov and early Dec.
I grow Veggies in soil and in hydro, on hot days water is the biggest requirement of plants and food is less required.

I like to add fertilizer at half or quarter strength often , rather then in large infrequent doses.

This is a different issue. Could be nutrient deficiency, but it looks like spider mite damage to me.
Wow. You called it. Its a combination of things on the Tettnang actually but there is spider mites amongst it as well. Just goes to show how different hops can be more susceptible to pests and ailments than others.

I think you are right about ozone, sometimes if In the sun skin burns, real bite... that is only a minute.. can't imagine what a leafy must like for 4 or 5 hours... I think that has a lot to do with brown crisp leaves, cheers

Whilst we’re on the subject, I’m keen to pick up some rhizomes and kick off myself. I note a bloke in manly has some cascade rhizomes and I’ll be in town soon.

Should I wait until winter when they are fresh or will they be fine as long as they have been stored moist? Should I also await early spring to plant? I’ve been doing some reading but not come across that info and have to decide tomorrow if I grab these particular rhizomes.

Whilst we’re on the subject, I’m keen to pick up some rhizomes and kick off myself. I note a bloke in manly has some cascade rhizomes and I’ll be in town soon.

Should I wait until winter when they are fresh or will they be fine as long as they have been stored moist? Should I also await early spring to plant? I’ve been doing some reading but not come across that info and have to decide tomorrow if I grab these particular rhizomes.
Plant any time of the year here in Vic. Were are you?
First consider their permanent ground. The way they can do best and be the best (good moist ground and sunlight etc) and advantage for you as a summer shade and decoration.
Also consider after years they can be invasive underground so make sure not to plant them at fence lines because they will spread underground if not contained.

Plant any time of the year here in Vic. Were are you?
First consider their permanent ground. The way they can do best and be the best (good moist ground and sunlight etc) and advantage for you as a summer shade and decoration.
Also consider after years they can be invasive underground so make sure not to plant them at fence lines because they will spread underground if not contained.
Yes they said that about not planting different varieties close together that you will not know variety of particular rhizomes .

Wow. You called it. Its a combination of things on the Tettnang actually but there is spider mites amongst it as well. Just goes to show how different hops can be more susceptible to pests and ailments than others.
It's something I deal with every year. Get on it! It can spread quickly to all plants. You can spray the underside of the leaves with various things, just google it. At my size field, I have to bring in predatory insects.

HI Btw I think I a lot the brown leaf was from heat, had another really hot day and I forgot to water... we have had some real bite to the sun lately when it has been out... cheers

My Tettnang also had a bad infestation of mites (seemed to be more susceptible than other varieties) - I had to cut off the early bines and let the new growth come through.

I'll look very close but spider mites is one pest I don't get thank fark coz I get plenty other pests to deal with. :rolleyes: Maybe a deficiency but I grew Victoria in the same bed previouse years and it was mass growth and bullet proof on all accounts. I kinda regret getting rid of the Victoria actually.
I'll have Victoria rhizomes in winter if you decide to grow it again...and have space for it.

I saw something the ozone layer last night and it can cause brown leaves, too hot and today is getting hammered... nothing I can do watered twice already, but the leaves are wilting.. I guess hops generally for cooler climates.. 35 degrees and hot wind is a killer ... cheers

Being burnt dried out is more accurate.. pretty damn sure the sun has had more bite when it has been out these last few months,

Being burnt dried out is more accurate.. pretty damn sure the sun has had more bite when it has been out these last few months,
Do you have different varieties and they are all suffering? Its only my Tettnang that are suffering like they are the most vulnerable it seems. Multiple problems. I just pruned a pile of bad leaves off mine and they have; White Fly, Spider Mite, Leaf Minor, catapillars, scale and probably slugs and snails and more. Possums will go the tett more than any others unless I keep it out of their reach. All regardless of the fact that I treat them as much as the others and more so to help it improve.
Poor old Tettnang will be second season fail. The only one I've failed with.

I have 2 both the same, they are in pots so not the best, think it is just to hot them ATM

Latest posts

Back