So THAT's what the fuss is all about...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ80

Reaction score
Just cracked my first bottle of my first AG...bloody hell that's a tasty drop!

I can see this will soon become a very slippery slope...thanks again to all of those who helped me along the way with my first AG.

Congrats mate! I know my first ag was certainly head and shoulders above my prior k n k efforts..

Welcome to the VERY slippery slope :super:

get back to us in 4 hours when you've cracked your 6th bottle (assuming 750's) then you know where the problem is :)

My one regret - only sticking one stubby in the fridge. Another rookie mistake.

AJ, have you started to try to convince your mrs that you need that extra fridge? The one that will help her by freeing up extra space in the main fridge to store food...

Glad to hear that your first AG batch went well. Enjoy!

Edit: typo

mxd said:
get back to us in 4 hours when you've cracked your 6th bottle (assuming 750's) then you know where the problem is :)
Hmmm... 6 bottles, 4 hours.....Sorry, but I fail to see the problem here....? :ph34r:

Cocko said:
We can only assume you now have 4 in the freezer?

Well done mate.... I would say the slope is near vertical!

:D
You betcha!

thedragon said:
AJ, have you started to try to convince your mrs that you need that extra fridge? The one that will help her by freeing up extra space in the main fridge to store food...

This works best if she gets the new fridge.

Top work, AJ.

thedragon said:

Thanks mate.

Well we just upgraded the kitchen fridge and I now (finally) have temperature controlled fermentation! Another win! First lager (and second AG) is bubbling along nicely as I type this.

Edit: just saw your post Bum. Yeah, would've been pushing it uphill if I had of tried to claim the new fridge!

AJ80 said:
My one regret - only sticking one stubby in the fridge. Another rookie mistake.
The (only) benefit of living in Melbourne in winter.

Shelf temperature is drinkin' temperature.

The (only) benefit of living in Melbourne in winter.

Shelf temperature is drinkin' temperature.
You'd thnk that Melbourne brewers would just embrace the temperature variations rather than trying to do "forced" lagers, or "forced" ales, wouldn't you?

Drink to the seasons (I can feel a BUM rebuttal coming-on here)?

Only because you mentioned me by name...

If I have the ability to brew whatever style I fancy at any given time, why shouldn't I?

Nothing wrong with brewing to the seasons if that's what motivates, though.

NB: "ability" here refers to technological capacity and not brewing skill...

Bum, I agree with you, wholeheartedly & must acquiesce to the technological aspect.

I come from a time when we brewed lagers in winter for consumption in summer & brewed ales for consumption in winter.

Back when I were a lad, we were lucky to have the price of a cup of tea....(insert appropriate Monty Python sketch here)....

Edit - Spullinge up-cockage

I brew roughly to the seasons, even though I now have a brew fridge which I've been using since February. It's mainly because I don't want to tie up the fridge storing bottles of ale for a couple of weeks to carbonate properly when I could have a brew in there fermenting or lagering. Yes, I live in Brisbane, yes it isn't all that cold during the day, but over night it can be and for some reason the garage never warms up in the day, and I have no other room to store them. Doesn't really bother me though as I enjoy both ales and lagers.

Anyway, good on you AJ, I remember the feeling when I tried my first AG too. It's great huh?!

Latest posts

Back