So THAT's what the fuss is all about...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So compare canned mong to a shit kit but a decent kit could be compared to a better quality jar of something.

You know I'm right - in your heart of hearts.

manticle said:
The comparison isn't that bad. You can 'soup up' a jar of stuff - let's say green curry paste rather than cantong/Kantong whatever (I've never used Kantong anything) and make a great meal. Add some extra galangal, lemongrass and/or lime leaves to the base paste, use quality chicken and vegetables, add some tamarind, whatever.

You can also (something people often ignore) totally stuff up your 'from scratch' curry paste - too much fish sauce, leave unpalatable bits of lemongrass fibre in it, fail to remove all the tamarind pips, too much/too little chilli, burn it, overdo the coconut, etc.

AG gives you more potential control but also more potential stuffing up points. Also making the paste is one thing, turning it into a good meal is another.

All things being equal, I prefer the paste to the jar but things are not always equal and paste alone won't make a good curry.
This is what I was getting at, but explained much much better! Cheers manticle.

Congrats aj. Its all downhill from here. I just got my first cube in the fermenter this morning...and very much looking forward to cracking my first one

Congrats AJ,
It's a lot more work compared to KnK, and there's a lot more ways to go wrong, but it's fun, and when you get it right... wow. delicious delicious beer.

Back