Sleeve fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amup

Reaction score
Hi all
Thinking about getting another fermenter and saw
Coopers sleeve fermenter with a push in tap
My mate swears by them. I would appreciate any thoughts or feed back from people who use them
at the moment I'm using 2 with air lock systems but I'm constantly having to make adjustments to lid tap etc over tightened last tap and now have to brew with bung
I'm starting to think sleeve fermenting would be better my main concern is if I brew outside and wind blows dust onto sleeve as it's releasing air will I run the risk of contaminating my brew when it lowers again?

Bunnings 30L water container, gladwrap, lid o ring
problem solvered (and for half the price)

Cheers Spork
Not sure about the glad wrap makes me think
of Bad Boy Bubby :) great movie
Where do I glad wrap ? Around the lid when it's on the bucket
I'm guessing
Cheap is good as long as it works thanks for the help
If i can do it like that I'll go to Bunnings now

I have the Coopers fermenter purchased with the Coopers DIY Kit.

I really like it.

I ferment in 56 litre stainless steel pots with glad wrap over the top, secured by rubber straps.

I used to use Brew Your Own, Coopers and Bunnings fermenting vessels but prefer the capacity and look of stainless steel. A brewery with less plastic is a more beautiful brewery.

The lid goes on the shelf in the shed, you pull out the o ring out of the lid
Glad wrap goes over the opening on the top of the container and the o ring is used like a rubber band to keep the glad wrap on
CO2 will find a way to get out, no pin holes or anything are needed

The coopers fermenters are pretty bloody good - much easier to clean thanks to the rounded bottom and krausen collar.

They are pretty dear though, and I don't really want all the useless crap that comes with it like the PET bottles and extract tins. If I could buy them on their own I'd do it.

On the subject of glad wrapping...

Where do you get replacement o rings ...mine keep breaking. I need some new ones

You don't need to use o-rings, you can use any form of rubber strap. My 56l pots are quite wide so I use octopus straps to fasten the glad wrap; it is completely analogous to using an o-ring if the strap is on tight enough.

Then there are also plain rubber bungees which would work well on the smaller plastic fermenters.

This sort of thing: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rubber-Tie-Down-Strap-380mm-15-Max-Stretch-480mm-Black-Pack-of-10-/121230936532?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c39ed49d4

oringonthefermenter.jpg

i would even get a old dead fridge to ferment in

outside in the dust could make for SAD beer :(

Thanks guys this first pics
My S/GImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411618879.814205.jpg
I'm guessing around 1044 it's now been 8 days and it's sitting around 1014 hasn't moved for 2 days
I was hoping for a stronger brew
It's a Morgans wheat beer
I tried giving it a stir but there s very little activity with the airlock
I added an extra 250g of dex at start
Any ideas on if adding more yeast would help

It's a coopers fermenter I want to buy one but not the whole kit
I hate those plastic bottles

Amup said:
It's a coopers fermenter I want to buy one but not the whole kit
I hate those plastic bottles
I've got a brand new one, never used with tap and top clips. $25 pickup. PM me if you're interested.

superstock said:
I've got a brand new one, never used with tap and top clips. $25 pickup. PM me if you're interested.
I'd be all over that if I lived in Brissy... -_-

Latest posts

Back