Cleaning methods for fermenter chiller coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m always concerned about getting an infection in my brews, never had one though.

I have a glycol setup with chiller coil into the fermenter. Lots of places for nasties to hide… what’s everyone’s go to cleaning method for these post fermentation and in preparation of putting down a fresh batch?

Post ferment, I typically clean with a solution of sodium perc and soft cloth… then star san/ air dry.
Next ferment, drop in some star scan again & drop in the wort.

Thoughts on this process, room for improvement?

I’m always concerned about getting an infection in my brews, never had one though.

I have a glycol setup with chiller coil into the fermenter. Lots of places for nasties to hide… what’s everyone’s go to cleaning method for these post fermentation and in preparation of putting down a fresh batch?

Post ferment, I typically clean with a solution of sodium perc and soft cloth… then star san/ air dry.
Next ferment, drop in some star scan again & drop in the wort.

Thoughts on this process, room for improvement?
Pretty much what you are doing, I use sodium perborate sooner than perc as the cleaner. I just do the sanitising once prior to using.

Occasionally, when I think of it, I’ll give my coil a bath in my strike water (~70c). Most of it gets immersed.

But that depends on having a coil that’s easy to access/remove

I don't like the amount of water I need to use to get a good soak on the coil, if for example in my 60L all rounder. The Kegland coils fit into a 100mm PVC drain pipe, cut down to length, add an end cap, and you have a small volume vessel to soak the coil. I haven't cut mine down fully but a 1m length holds 7 or 8L

I generally rinse mine off with the hose and use a green scrub pad as needed

Gets sanitized with whatever no rinse I'm using at the time

Sometimes I'll use my cip as well depending.

Latest posts

Back