Skunk Fart Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine have all been straight Cascade. I don't use any crystal malts either, I found that it was a better beer sticking with ale, munich and a little wheat.

TDA

I have some of the following yeast:

1272 American Ale Yeast II. Fruitier and more flocculent than 1056, slightly nutty, soft, clean, slightly tart finish. Accentuates hop character at warmer fermentation temperatures with intense fruitiness. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 72-76%. (60-72 F, 15-22 C)

It is currently a ltr sitting in a plastic juice bottle in the fridge.

I am happy to give you half. Boots works at Hills on South road and lives near by in Greenwith. If it helps - and he is OK with it - i should be able to get some to him to give to you.

Alternatively, i will be at the Dan O'Connell Pub tommorow from 2.00pm until around 7.00pm - hopefully, depends on my lift.

If you can get there i can bring some with me. You need to let me know today.

Here is a web site link...
http://www.danieloconnell.com.au/

Might be a good place for Batz to visit when he is down here.

Snow, I have used chinook for bittering I have a keg which used 16g chinook + 20g(I think) of cascade at the 60 min mark. Tasted this last night after about 5weeks in the keg and its not bad, not as cascadey as I would like but I think that may be due to the hops getting a bit old at this time of the year. Will be going APA made soon when I get 1kg of the new season hops :p

When I tasted it after a week I thought I had overdone it, very grapefruity and bitter. Now it has mellowed right off and its a nice brew. May even play about with adding these late in the boil.

the first one only last weekend was jayses october ipa.used 16gms chinook @ 60m.rest was hop schedule using cascade.so far smells the grouse.
a few brews before that was my first one malt one hop brew.currently in cc so will have to wait to tell you how it turned out but had 25grams chinook @ 60
and 25grams chinook @ 15.
ive been warned about it but as im keen on going down the 100 ibu path aka some usa brews i thought i would give it a whirl.

cheers
big d

i know i know.
im figuring to dumb it down heaps like maybe do a small batch to see if i like it that way im not having to cope with 22 litres of absolute skull #*ck beer.

still to ibu,s just not so much volume in one hit.

BigD

went to local HB club meeting and tried one Ale - 120 IBU!!! :blink: :blink:
I quite liked it but it is by no means a session beer!!!

you could always CC it for a few years! :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

thanks hoops
wedge id be lucky to make 3 weeks these days. :D
anyway i reckon every brewer should try different styles to add to there arsenal and a 100ibu is a must so you can at least say been there done that.bla bla bla.
only way to find out is to brew one.
one possible good point is that it may just well keep those pesky free loading mates away from the good beer your brewing.

cheers in ibu,s
big d

Thanks, Jasony. I plan to aim for 38 IBUs with Chinook. I'll be FWHing it to soften the bitterness and bring out the flavour a bit more. As for the cascade, I'll be following Jayse's recipe, but using NZ flowers instead of the American plugs. See how it goes....

- Snow

Snow

I'll be doing almost the same as you tomorrow, now we look like getting a few cool days down here. Maybe a little more Chinook (about 50 IBU) with half in the mash & half for FWH. Good luck with yours. Interested to hear how it goes.

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
I am doing a modified version of this as I can't get cara munich, I have some Simcoe hops I want to try and I don't have any American Ale liquid yeast.
Here is the modified recipe:

SFPA Modified

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 01/23/04
Style: American Pale Ale Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Batch Size: 23.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 29.00 L Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: My Equipment Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points):

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU

4.75 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2 SRM) Grain 80.3 %
0.45 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2 SRM) Grain 7.6 %
0.34 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30 SRM) Grain 5.7 %
0.25 kg Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
0.13 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (2 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
20.00 gm Simcoe [14.7%] (60 min) Hops 31.3 IBU
27.00 gm Cascade [5.5%] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.5%] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.045-1.056 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.010-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 6 SRM (4-11 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 42.7 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.4 % (4.5-5.7 %) %

I will report on this when it is kegged, should be in 2 weeks hopefully.

C&B
TDA
Currently my modified version of this is in the boiler as I type. Ended up with 30L of wort at 11.2 Brix which equates to 1043 GU. After the boil I should get 23L at 1054 if everything goes to plan :blink:
I droped the Simcoe hops back to 16 grams which equates to 30 IBU. I upped the 15 min Cascade to 30 grams. Everything else remains the same. It's gunna be a late finish but it's always worth it.

And I tried out the new manifold and mash tun, looks like 70% efficiency with a quick batch sparge of around 20 minutes.

C&B
TDA

The SFA was my second go at AG , I was a bit worried as I did not get the volume I hoped , I was still working out my dead spaces , loss in boil , in the bottom of the kettle etc.

Anyway I drinking this one now , could be the best beer I have every brewed !

Will do it again next brew now I have it all worked out , should be a ripper

Well had a big session on a couple of kegs of this on the weekend. First was bittered with 18g Chinnok + some cascades then lots of cascades later on. Aged about 5 weeks in the keg and was a bloody nice drop. Chinook had dropped off and was not overpowering.

Second was the #6 recipe above with the centenials. Very nice drop, centenial compliment the cascades well and gave a nice balance of citrusy flavours. Enjoying finishing the rest of this keg. Will repeat this one next I think with perhaps a few more chinook.

#7 is yet to be consumed :D if it beats the 5 week conditioning record I will be surprised.

Definately worth trying this style of brew.

Do you prefer the centenial taste to the chinook? Is it a cleaner bittering?

I think you still need some chinook for that nice grapefruit hit. Centenial seem similar to cascade, perhap a little more citrusy? Certainly smoother from what I can tell (given the age of the brew). The difference I think is that this one has only been kegged for about 2 weeks and is nice where as I would think the same brew with all chinooks would need 4 - 6 weeks to let the chinook bitterness drop off a bit.

Too early for me to really say, first brew using centenial and only a couple with chinooks. I will try and pour a bottle of this keg off into a king brown to bring along to the next west coast brewers meet so you can try it.

JasonY said:
Too early for me to really say, first brew using centenial and only a couple with chinooks. I will try and pour a bottle of this keg off into a king brown to bring along to the next west coast brewers meet so you can try it.
That'd be great :)

I'll hopefully be bringing along a bottle of my Hop Hit IPA. Its in secondary at the moment (racked on sunday). I'll rack it to a keg on the 7th Mar and it should be carbonated enough to bring a bit along to the meeting on the 8th :)

Going to be interesting trying to fill a bottle from my kegs. I'm going to use a picnic tap and some hose and see how i go :) I CBF with a CFBF.

Well I finally did my first AG today !!

I started at about 7:00am this morning and finished at about 4:00pm - and after hanging arounds burners and hot liquor of different sorts all day in my tin shed on a 38deg Perth day I'm pretty shagged.

The gravity was down a bit on what I had hoped at 1.051 adjusted (aiming for 1.054) and the efficiency was 63% which needs some work... oh well, there's always next weekend.

One thing that is bothering me a bit and hopefully you guys will clarify it for me: I dropped the wort into the fermenter from a fair height and had about a 5" head on it to aerate before putting it into an ice bath. Due to ambient temps, I finally had to chuck the fermenter into the freezer and wait. I just pitched the starter at 21deg but its been about several hours since I aerated the wort.

My question is; should I reshake the fermenter to re-oxygenate it or will what I did earlier do the trick?

Here's the recipe I put down FWIW:

Batch Size (L): 27.00 Wort Size (L): 27.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.15
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.35
Anticipated SRM: 5.8
Anticipated IBU: 45.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
77.6 5.55 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.038 2
8.4 0.60 kg. Hoepfner Caramel Malt Pils Germany 1.036 2
6.3 0.45 kg. TF Caramalt UK 1.034 19
4.9 0.35 kg. IMC Munich Australia 1.038 6
2.8 0.20 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.00 g. TWOC - Cascade Pellet 5.40 32.2 60 min.
32.00 g. TWOC - Cascade Pellet 5.40 5.5 15 min.
30.00 g. TWOC - Cascade Pellet 5.40 3.9 10 min.
40.00 g. TWOC - Cascade Pellet 5.40 4.3 5 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Goat you should aerate your wort until it is 21oC. The warmer you areate the greater chance of oxidation.

hmmm, thanks wedge - its a bit hard to undo that one...

Would the oxygen in the wort dissapate by waiting a few hours or would it have been absorbed into the wort and still be there?

Back