Skunk Fart Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goat how hot was the wort when you racked it into your fermenter. I have wondered the same thing as usually my immersion chiller only gets the temp to about 28deg maybee a little cooler.

Anyway last batch I airated @28deg and then put it in the freezer until it reached 21degC (4 hours) and then shook again and pitched. Beer tastes fine to me :D don't know what HSA tastes like anyway.

Next time I am thinking of pitching at 28-27deg to give the yeast a kick start as it is only a few hours before the freezer cools it. Just concerned that temp may kill my 1272!.

Hmm should I brew today ... bit of thunder about ...

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
THE DRUNK ARAB said:
I am doing a modified version of this as I can't get cara munich, I have some Simcoe hops I want to try and I don't have any American Ale liquid yeast.
Here is the modified recipe:

SFPA Modified

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 01/23/04
Style: American Pale Ale Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Batch Size: 23.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 29.00 L Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: My Equipment Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points):

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU

4.75 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2 SRM) Grain 80.3 %
0.45 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2 SRM) Grain 7.6 %
0.34 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30 SRM) Grain 5.7 %
0.25 kg Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
0.13 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (2 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
20.00 gm Simcoe [14.7%] (60 min) Hops 31.3 IBU
27.00 gm Cascade [5.5%] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.5%] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.045-1.056 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.010-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 6 SRM (4-11 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 42.7 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.4 % (4.5-5.7 %) %

I will report on this when it is kegged, should be in 2 weeks hopefully.

C&B
TDA
Currently my modified version of this is in the boiler as I type. Ended up with 30L of wort at 11.2 Brix which equates to 1043 GU. After the boil I should get 23L at 1054 if everything goes to plan :blink:
I droped the Simcoe hops back to 16 grams which equates to 30 IBU. I upped the 15 min Cascade to 30 grams. Everything else remains the same. It's gunna be a late finish but it's always worth it.

And I tried out the new manifold and mash tun, looks like 70% efficiency with a quick batch sparge of around 20 minutes.

C&B
TDA
I popped this into a keg and some into bottles yesterday. I could easily drink it ungassed :p .
The Simcoe hops seem very neutral and the bitterness of this beer is very balanced. All I could get was a malt flavour with lashings of Cascade at the end and a great Cascade aroma.
Methinks it isn't going to last too long at all.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

hi guys this thread has been great to read and catch up on what iv'e missed.
thanx for the complements on the recipe.

like most of you iam using chinnook and cascade for the bitterness now at 2/3 chinnook 1/3 cascade something like 20 g chinnook and 14 g cascade.
i have made quite a few lately.

this beer doesn't really need to use ale malt or a higher mash temp. pilsner malt mashed at 66c is great.

iam also going for around 50 ibu.

as most of you have worked out the best versions of these beers are the ones that really bring out the passion fruit tones.

also i find the american II 1272 yeast is almost idiot proof.

anyway will post some of my lastest efforts later.

cheers from the skunk fart brewery.
jayse

I through my SFA in the keg tonight. It was my virgin AG :wub:

My keg at the moment is nitro-charge with a guiness tap.

After 8 weeks of CC this beer is absolutely beautiful

The nitro sadly removes some of the bitterness and excentuate the sweetness of the malt. :blink: Go figure!~

Yep up to #10 of these so far .... :) latest few have used challenger for bittering along with chinook & cascades. Really like the challenger hop in this one kinda like a cascade with more alpha acids.

mixing up the hops is the way to go after all it is meant to be a complex beer.
if you haven't tried northern brewer yet give them a go.
challenger is a great hop but it does need to be mixed with other hops for complexity.

have you got the great passion fruit tones in your brew jase?
love you post as much as you like the beer.

cheers jayse

wait until amarillo hits the stores.super charged cascade.ive a trial going on with an all amarillo brew at the moment.dave at goliaths is getting stock in next week.

cheers
big d

Welcome back Jayse,
Thanks again for the brew day!
I am going to give the SFPA a go after easter in my new brewery tower (structure, will post pics when finished)
Cheers

hi guys was indeed a nice brew day jeff. i think the XLCR works best with pilsner malt but the ale malt version was a good beer didn't last to long thats for sure.
the thames valley yeast is as clear as a bell in the finished beers.
anyway look forward to doing it again with you oneday.

cheers jayse

Jayse,
Just starting to use pilsiner malt,
Have done a partial and an AG but not with cascade (damn I wished I had used cacade).
i am keen to try this new Amarillo also.
Been a bit slow on the brews lately as i have been building the brewery but will get back into it asap.
Hope to catch you in Adelaide at the end of the month.
Cheers,

looking forward to see you again BBB looks like the makings of a good social beer brewers month so far.

SFPA jayse

Here's the lastest SFPA its getting right away from a LCPA clone now with some new modifications mainly the use of amirillo which is unreal in everyway.
Its much smoother i think than cascade. the london III yeast is a very good yeast for this beer too and like the 1272 it is also a easy yeast to maintain and handle etc.

The malt bill and hop amounts look a little wierd here because i made a bigger batch as big as my system allows and have just locked ingredients and changed it too 25 litres.
I mashed at 66c for 90mins with 3litres - 1kg.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.65
Anticipated OG: 1.060 Plato: 14.71
Anticipated EBC: 19.2
Anticipated IBU: 48.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 13.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 33.78 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG 11.03 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Coarse Grind As Is.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.0 5.38 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 317.42 7
9.5 0.63 kg. IMC Munich Australia 317.42 12
4.8 0.32 kg. TF Crystal UK 284.01 145
2.4 0.16 kg. TF Torrefied Wheat UK 292.36 3
2.4 0.16 kg. Flaked Barley America 267.30 4

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
31.65 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Whole 9.80 37.7 80 min.
8.86 g. amarillo Pellet 7.10 2.1 15 min.
8.86 g. cascade new Pellet 4.50 1.3 15 min.
8.86 g. amarillo Pellet 7.10 1.6 10 min.
8.86 g. cascade new Pellet 4.50 1.0 10 min.
17.72 g. amarillo Pellet 7.10 2.6 5 min.
17.72 g. cascade new Pellet 4.50 1.7 5 min.
26.58 g. amarillo Pellet 7.10 0.0 0 min.
26.58 g. cascade new Pellet 4.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1318 London Ale III

Jayse,
Im keen on brewing an APA but I only brew extract at the moment, can you recommend how I could convert your SFPA to extract version?
Cheers,
Sean

Hi Sean,
Its pretty easy to make good extract based APA's.
I would look at using a lighter colour crystal malt though as even the lightest extracts give a fair amount of colour. TF caramalt at around 40ebc or any other crystal malt around this colour would be better proberly than ussual crystal malts of around 120-140EBC.
If we base the recipe around a 1.5kg can of cooper light malt extract with the rest dry malt extract and a smidge of dextrose and a 60min 15litre boil.
It'll look something like this for 23 litres.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.75 kg Light Dry Extract (16 EBC) Dry Extract 47.3 %
0.25 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0 EBC) Sugar 6.8 %
1.50 kg Coopers Pale Liquid Extract (16 EBC) Extract 40.5 %
0.20 kg TF Caramalt (37 EBC) Grain 5.4 %
22.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.8%] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.5%] (15 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.5%] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.5%] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 Estimated Color: 15 EBC (20-39 EBC)
Bitterness: 32.7 IBU Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.0 %

I would strongly suggest swapping 750g of the dry malt for 1kg of any pale malt and do a mash.

You should get close to the 30 ibu if you do a 15 litre boil with all the extract.
Finishing Hop amounts come down to personall taste, the amount here is about average for what most APA's are.
Some other varriations could be cut back 300g of dry malt and up the dextrose to 500g.

Hope that is what your after.
Jayse
PS that recipe in my post above was not really APA but APA on steriods! i called it 'baby demon' as it was a tamed version of my insane 30 hop additions demon ale.

Thanks Jayse, thats just what I was after, although a lot more detailed than I expected! Ill definitely be giving this a go very soon. I probably wont do a mini mash yet, but Ill try that in the future.
Sean

morry said:
snipped>
>although a lot more detailed than I expected!
Hi Morry,
If your want to simplify it again you could base it around a hopped extract can such as coopers draught. Use the yeast with the can and add what they call 'brew booster' packs or whatever, Look for one around half dry malt half dextrose, Don't worry about using the ones with maltodextrin, no one really uses that stuff i don't think.
All you really need to do to this is boil the dry 'booster' bag with 30g of cascade for 5 mins in a few litres of water then disolve the can in when you turn the heat of. Add that to the fermentor and top up as ussual.
Pretty easy classic home brew recipe, you only fill up to 20litres.
From that, you can maybe up the gravity next time with extra malt and use grains, more hops.
But to keep it simple and use only a small short boil you can just use cans which already provide the bitter. Coopers draught was one of my fav's for these recipes.
You can get away with not even boiling anything just put the hops in a jar of boiling water for ten mins and chuck them in the fermentor and make kit as ussuall.
Letting the hops rest in hot water for a little while basically drives of some of the nasty 'weedy' flavours. Its all about refreshing easy lovely fresh beer and that hop taste of cascade.
Another option is the grumpies masterbrews which really help you learn about doing small short boils and using grains while still using the hopped cans for the 'bitter'.

Jayse

JAYSE: This is my version of the LCPA i am trying next week. It is also for a final vol of 25L.

5.00kg Maris Otter
0.30kg Cara-pils/dextrine
0.30kg Caramalt
0.30kg Munich

25g Chinook (60min)
about 120g of Cascade thru out the rest of the boil.

Just wondering if this will be too sweet with the Otter & other sweet grains?

Or the Jovial Monk Brew Improvers for "heavenly" beers.

Jovial Monk

SJW,
It does look abit to complex for the style, but as far as a great beer it looks pretty good, no real need for the carapils, the munich malt either really. For the crystal malt i would go 50-100g less also, it all depends how malty you want it really, i like mine a bit more refreshing.
I would not use that much chinnook with 25g and all the cascades your looking at over 45ibu i don't think you need anywhere near that much, 30-35 is about right with anything above 40 i think too much for this beer.
With 120g of cascade i would use 60 of that after flame out, 30 each at 10 and 5. Anyway thats my thoughts
Happy brewing.
Jayse

Jayse,
The extra detail is a good thing! Im a bit bored with basic kits so adding my own hops and specialty grains are a lot more fun. Hopefully will make a better beer too. Ill probably use the wyeast 1056 too, Im liking these liquid yeasts now.
Sean

Back