Neipa hop suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rompson

Reaction score
Alright folks, putting together a neipa brew on the weekend. Have a general go to grainbill that I normally use. Goes something like 70- 75% base malt normally golden promise or gp/pilsner mix, 15-20% oats split between flaked oats 10% and golden naked oats 5% give or take and the remaining 10-15% flaked wheat. Sometimes caraplils up to 5% finds its way in there as well. Let me know if you have any pro tips or adjustments for grain bill otherwise it's hop suggestions I am after.

I currently have hops on hand.
Mosaic
Nectaron
Citra
Idaho 7
Cascade(aus)
Vic secret
Eclipse
Simcoe
Nelson
Rakua
Sabro

Looking for recommendations on what hop additions some of you Might suggest for a solid neipa. Timming, quantity suggestions appreciated if you have prior experience in said hop etc. Also open to using hops other than what I have on hand if any of you have conviction in particular hop pairings.

Cheers in advance 🍻

Citra and Mosaic is a classic -pretty well most breweries have given that combo a go(or at least thats what the memes suggest). For my NEIPA I don't use any boil hops and use 85g of each at a 78C whirlpool for 15 mins, then drop hop twice(85g of each both times), once at terminal gravity after yeast dump at 14C and 24 hours later at 8C, rousing the hops every 12 hours with CO2.

The Kernal Brewery in the UK have a Nelson and Vic Secret. Never had it but it gets great rating on untappd.

Idaho 7 tends to get paired with Mosaic and Simcoe a lot too.

Citra, Mosaic, and either Idaho 7 or Nectaron is two combo's I've used and been happy with..three hops is the magic number imo... BUT if I have Nelson on hand I always throw~15g in as well during the bio transformation additions (Day 3/5) as I find it only needs a light touch but seems to accentuate the juiciness.

No boil additions, if chilling will add 50G of each @ 80c (and keep chilling s)- if no chill I add the same amount to the cube @ 70c.

Day 3 (ish) add 30g of each and then day 5 (ish) do the same. Once ferment is done, couple extra days and then crash chill. If you have the ability to dump yeast, do so. 50g of each hop and 0.3g Campden tablet (dissolved in boiled water (~50mL)) added while purging with CO2.

Package 24-36Hrs later.

I like to use Cryo for the later Citra/Mosaic/Idaho where possible.

Latest posts

Back