Skunk Fart Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its so dam hot at the moment (no fridge) i cant ferment, cant even CC or 2ndry so its being hard!

I need to finish "birthday brew" (a coopers lager for my bro's 21st) then i can get into the APA. Also there is a nice killkeny mmmmm, a super GMK stout - wow hops, and Porter to follow so i need up my drinking !?!?! to clean out some kegs to fill with the new APA :)

What a problem....:) might need some mates to help

I have 40 litres of I.P.A and thats it. I havent' brewed in a month but brewed 3 batches so far last week all of which have been badly affected by the heat not so much in flavour that seems fine.
But major stuck ferments that will not come back to life no matter how hard i have tried and i still can't really see why.
The only reason so far i can come up with is the higher fermenting temps with liquid strains has caused the alcohol to rise from 0-4% in 24 hours which has shocked the yeast.
I have pitched some dry coopers yeast and left them at 28c and airated again still no luck.
Iam am very very pissed off about this all have finish 10 points to high.
They have fermented like crazy for 1-1/2 days and stopped dead.
I have never ever had this problem before even last summer fermenting at the same temp.
Anyone got any comments here.
Remeber i have done everything right so its not under pitched or airated or any of the common reasons why you get a stuck ferment.

Anyway with the yeast getting shocked it should still be viable but needs to come to grips with where its at and should start back up again.
Iam kicking myself for not brewing at all in november.
Anyway a big winge from me and no beer, maybe some very worty tasting beer.

Jayse

Racked my SFPA that I brewed last weekend this morning.
Great aroma and tastes fantastic.
Not sure of the SG as my hydrometer broke on Friday :angry:

Pretty sure it won't last long when I keg it :lol:

Will have to buy more cascade on the next visit to the lhbs.

Great recipe Jayse.

Beers,
Doc

MMMMMm just pulled a JSPA (Jayse Special Pale Ale) and its very different to the bottled sample i had. I have a Cold at the moment, and a sore throat, well the bitterness in this brew has numbed it :)

hit the back of the throat and bang!
smooth, great head, thick and creamy

This is the first "Pot" from this Keg, but so far (with my Cold / bad sence of taste)

Starts off slightly sweet, nice cascade flavour in middle, followed by the onset of bitterness to the aftertaste.
There is a smooth transition from sweet to bitter right in the midlle.

MAN this is good! First All grain, First PA, and i might say... Maybe my best beer to date

Thanks Jayse, I think you saved X-mas :)

.... now lets kill this cold with kindness ... mmmm beer

hey ben
thanx for the report on jayses skunk fart.
the cold will not help in your tasting notes but nevermind.
ive been mulling(yeah i know jayse)over what recipe i should do for my first ag in 04 and i reckon in honour of jayse and his dedication to the american ipa style and his postings i will make this my very first ever first ag brew and from there i can also add my honest opinions of how it tastes etc instead of reading other peoples posts and just dreaming.
and with the size of my set up a 40+ litre batch should be a sinch.

cheers in skunk fart

big d B)

It was my first and although i had some problems its turned out great, i'd imagin you could really make some stuff ups but it will still taste great so if i was you, I would do this one first! then you know what were all crapping on about :)

Good luck and enjoy! mmmm beer

I siphoned off 500ml of SFPA from my secondary and tossed it in the freezer for an hour to cool down, then carb'd it up with my carbonation cap.

Wow, what a fantastic PA. Good passionfruit tones with fantastic aroma and lingering bitterness.
Will have to wait for the relatives to leave before I keg this one so I can have it all to myself :D

Thanks for the recipe Jayse.

Beers,
Doc

I going to make the Skunk Fart my first AG as well big d , which one are you going to brew?

just tasted the bugger ass pale ale it is young but it taste smooth and good and is close to snpa me old man reckons nice bitterness it could be more but loverly cascade aroma i cant wait for this one to age it wont last my enter it in the bathurst comp

Jazzman.
Which was the closest to LCRA?

I mean LCPA , your famous brew !

I was drinking skunk fart all x-mas day but most people found it "strong bitterness" or "harsh" hehe back to the VB they went

I loved it but found the butterness hard at the end of the day ( its a quality beer but for me not a all day get pissed beer)

Anyway on leaving lunch and moving onto dinner, the Esky handly snapped and guess what!!!! home brew smashed, my ace beer jug, my pint glass all smashed!!!!! all that was left was VB stubbies, hence i only had one more beer for the day i just couldn't drink it YUCK!!!!!

Iam hoping more for cascade that bitterness , like LCPA

Ben said:
Inyway on leaving lunch and moving onto dinner, the Esky handly snapped and guess what!!!! home brew smashed, my ace beer jug, my pint glass all smashed!!!!! all that was left was VB stubbies, hence i only had one more beer for the day i just couldn't drink it YUCK!!!!!
Nooooooooooooooooo! I feel for you,as you now have known what helll is truly like.

Chaps,

I'm trying to work out the process a bit with one of Jayse's recipes and have been plugging things into Promash to get a feeling for what might happen. I'm going to try doing this as an AG but I'm having a few problems getting my head around the whole mash/sparge thing... :unsure:

What quantity of water do you use for the mash - expressed as L/Kg ? I was reading Howtobrew in which Palmer mentions a working average rate of 1.5qt/lb which converts (if my maths is correct) to about 3.15 L/Kg. this means that for a a pre-boil voulme of 32L and grain bill of 7.15Kg (at 65%) I would need to mash using 22.5L.... does that mean that the sparge would be the remaining 4.5L ? Palmer goes on to mention that the sparge water should be 1.5 - 2 times the volume of the mash - so where am I cocking this up?

TIA

if i remember right, about 2l/Kg for the mash and 4l/Kg for the sparge. got these numbers from papazian and nachel (HB for dummies).

for the sparge im sure you can vary depending on how much you need for the pre-boil volume (or just boil longer to get the volume down).

"Palmer goes on to mention that the sparge water should be 1.5 - 2 times the volume of the mash" i dont remember this one but i may have missed it.

i do remember hearing something about the thickness of the mash affecting it somehow, but not sure how exactly. so that may be something to consider as well. hopefully someone else has a better memory than me. and as for sparging, use as musch as you can without oversparging (as in getting tannins) and then boil down to the volume you want.

just my 2 cents
joe

I generally use around 3 litres/kg for the mash.
Remember that the grains will soak up approx 1.01 litres/kg so factor that into your calcs.

If using Promash then make up your recipe using whatever your litres/kg ratio is and what your MLT can handle.
Then do your Session calcs in Promash to work out how much water you need for the sparge.
Look closely at the settings for dead space and evaporation percentages to work it out for your system. See attached picture for my last brew session last week.
I used 2.8 l/kg and it was a very thick mash. My boiler has dead space of around 3.6 litres below the pick up tube. I calc this in even though the immersion chiller displaces this some.

HTH, beers,
Doc

WaterNeeded.JPG

Thanks guys !

Joecast, I also read somewhere recently about thick mashes being beneficial to big Belgian Ales - which is something I'm dying to get into... but I've got no idea why that would be the case - I'm concentrating on crawling at the moment.

Doc, I didn't even know that dialog box existed :huh: - I'll get into it... and I stick to 3L/Kg for now too.

This is what I've got so far for the recipe..... (from Promash) - any comments warmly welcomed !

<<tries to attach jpeg>>

recipe01.jpg

Looks good Goat.
Nice batch size too. You must have bigger fermenters than me.

Hit the Mash schedule button and enter your litres/kg and save your recipe.
Then from the opening Promash window select New Session.
Pick your saved recipe then go to Water Needed. You will then see the screen I posted. You can then play around with the settings for you dead space etc.

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back