Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calobes

Reaction score
Could I brew anything remotely close to this??

I'm still green and doing extract brews so I know I won't get as good a quality as an ag but does anyone have any recipes that comes kind of close?

I can however steep grains and boil hops so..... Am i reaching to high for my current expertise?

Cheers :)

Im also curious as to why neither of the recipes called for dry hopping. Its a pretty aromatic beer so I thought there would be a fair bit of dry hopping involved.

I personally would drop the crystal back to 250gm, but then again I don't like overly sweet beers. Dry hop with 30gm of Cascade if you want a big hit :)

This!

Sierra 1.jpg

page 2

Sierra 2.jpg

I drink one of these once a week at work and not once have I thought to brew it, it seems to be a close proximity to their steam beer and has no nasal characteristics. To me there are better beers out there. It seems to have that same American hop schedule that is bitter and loosing the aroma hops. It's a staple in the resturant so I keep trying it to see if I can grow to like it. It just seems plain jane to me. No issues if you like it but there are a lot of better beers out there than that. NB we pay $90 a carton for it. Punters love it with our food. I'm just not converted. To me ita a blah beer, but then I'll drink their steam ale and get excited.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have my recipe ready to go but I am 90% sure im not going to be able to get magnum hops. Am I right in saying that because they are a bittering hop, I can use another hop of similar aa % and most of the hops flavours will get boiled out after 60mins anyway?

Yeah I see that Country Brewer Toormina doesn't stock Magnum. When are you looking to brew? I could send you some - I've got enough magnum to keep California going for a decade thanks to bulk buys :lol: Post leaves Old Bar at 3.30
Magnum is a very neutral bittering hop, a lot of the others will carry over into the finish which is either good or bad depending on the recipe.

For example Magnum is the second volume of hops grown in Germany, they use it to "stretch out" the noble hops in their megabrews as it is so neutral.

Bribie G said:
Yeah I see that Country Brewer Toormina doesn't stock Magnum. When are you looking to brew? I could send you some - I've got enough magnum to keep California going for a decade thanks to bulk buys :lol: Post leaves Old Bar at 3.30
Magnum is a very neutral bittering hop, a lot of the others will carry over into the finish which is either good or bad depending on the recipe.

For example Magnum is the second volume of hops grown in Germany, they use it to "stretch out" the noble hops in their megabrews as it is so neutral.
I was planning on doing this one today but if I can get the magnum hops I will definantly wait. Thanks for the offer mate thats much appreciated, pm me with details and how much your willing to let go and cost etc. :)

No probs, I'll dig the pack out of the freezer and have a look.

Edit: pm sent

Latest posts

Back