Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I was swayed... and by Rav, who I thank for his help.

Go team rims!

Not sure I did too much mate, but I am very happy to see this rig now in action. Coudos on a top build - best post some of these pics on BA too!

(Naked Rimmers's ftw? :p :eek: :lol: )

Hey Cocko, great looking build you have there. Where did you find that HLT? Was it chef land in Richmond? I ask because it looks identical to the one I used in my braumiser.

Hey mate, cheers. The HLT and MT are Ross' 70L bangers... Original plan was 3x Robinox but SWMBO, bless her heart, found me cheaper ones as a surprise xmas present.. anyway, they do the job.

Not sure I did too much mate, but I am very happy to see this rig now in action. Coudos on a top build - best post some of these pics on BA too!

(Naked Rimmers's ftw? :p :eek: :lol: )

Cheers mate, you did enough!

Yep, HERMS has nothing on RIMs as far as double entendres go! :p

Same here (used keg lid as the guide)
I'd also recommend not trying to cut too deep as you go. Make lots of rotations and the grinder will slowly but surely cut through. If you force it, it'll just burn through lots of discs. Also stay out of the plane of the blade obviously - saw a youtube video once of a circular saw blade come loose and go flying through front yards, scary stuff.
I've seen some people make up a wooden jig for the grinder but seems like overkill to me, a circle is pretty easy to get using a texter line as a start guide, then the grinder/keg lid to guide you round. Tidy up once you're through.

I don't have great skill with an angle grinder and the lids I bought only got have a 6mm lip.
So I knocked a simple jig using the cap from the keg (with threads ground off)as a pivot point and 2 hose clamps to secure my grinder.
I cut the circle leaving 3 small tabs till the last. Overall it was quick. About 1 minute to cut out the opening and another minute to clean up the edges with a cylindrical sander. The jig took a good half hour to make, not including the trip to Bunnings.
Attached thumbnail(s)

JIG_1.JPG

JIG_2.JPG

did you have the keg filled with water?

just wondering how people prevent the slag from sticking inside and ruining the finish? probably answered somewhere but just popped into my head... derp

just wondering how people prevent the slag from sticking inside and ruining the finish? probably answered somewhere but just popped into my head... derp

I didn't fill mine with anything. Just a soak with sodium meta for 30 mins and a green scotchbrite does the trick.

I didn't think using an angle grinder would create slag, given that slag is a byproduct of smelting or melting. Plasma cutters and welders will create slag. Correct me if I am wrong and i will ferment my words...

I do suggest that if you do grind stainless that you repassivate it with a suitable acid like oxalic acid (bar keepers friend), which will stop it rusting and clean it up nicely.

I didn't fill mine with water either. The grinder left no splatter what so ever, but the welder did.
I needed to touch the interior around the welded sockets with a brass wire brush in my drill on completion

Don't get all stressed about the various online guides, videos and other things that suggest cutting the top off a keg is something that is difficult to do, that you need a jig or any fancy equipment (plasma cutter).
If I can do it, anyone can, I'm not sure I had even used an angle grinder (for more than 5 mins) before cutting the tops of my kegs - and I still have all my fingers, toes, eyes etc
... give it a try before you make it overly-complicated, and you'll see how easy it is to do.

lol I cut the whole top off mine I should of left the handles on though. And to make it clear ALWAYS release the pressure best to take the dip tube out. You dont want to cut into a fully pressured vessel

Shit setup cucko, I'm not jealous at all :rolleyes:

Here's the new brew rig on it's maiden RIMS voyage.
A few hiccups, no show stoppers.
Learnt a few things. Changes to be made.
Overall happy days!

Brew_rig_RIMS.jpg

Overall happy days!
Well done Si, happy days indeed - that controller is seriously over the top.

Overall happy days!

Wow!

Just wow!

Contro; panel is amazing.. is it a 32a running in? or did you just OD on the in put connection?

Details, need more?

Some serious rigs getting about now! Nice ;)

Wow!

Just wow!

Contro; panel is amazing.. is it a 32a running in? or did you just OD on the in put connection?

Details, need more?

Hey thanks to everyone for the positive comments about my rig.
Cocko, the infeed power is single phase 20 amp.
If you want to see some more details on the control panel I've got a build log HERE
FYI the inside of the panel is more over the top than the outside.

Latest posts

Back