Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! I'm still tossing around the pros and cons of natural or bottle gas though.

I'm currently using a spiral gas ring and I'm really happy with the results. Heaps of heat and no soot.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of converting a DAS PLUS keg to a mash tun.

Here's the progress of my herms HLT, dressed up with 400 grit wet and dry ready for the final buff.
After 6 weeks of design, counter design, experimentation with jigs and tools etc. I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel
That is some amazing metalwork and dedication, man whatever the final outcome it's going to be pretty awsome - I'm impressed.

I would be asking more about knowledge of a gas fired HX and controlled stepping :p

Edit: But yeah, amazing polish and construction - am also hanging to watch it be born!

The only down side for me is the copper herms coil.
The stainless steel option just got to dame difficult.

Yes I have Kev. Thanks anyway. I anticipated I need a length of 12meters x 1/2" for a complete temp transfer @ 5 liters per minute.
Great site BTW. I love the pic of the kids cooling of in the pool.

Cheers,

well my rig is not done yet.
far from it in fact but it will be good to do its first gravity brew tomorrow

ill be adding pumps and rims as i can afford them

but hear is what i got done today

kegs.jpg

Nice work. I especially like the lid concept. I spent weeks searching for my source and then more time juggling size issues.
How did you cut your openings????

68750_10151167198079684_646159872_n.jpg

Added some more bits and pieces to the urn. Will update it a bit further with the new lauter tun and kettle.

i used a 4" grinder with 1mm thick blades
went thru a few blades but its quiet easy to do

if you place the guard of the grinder on the handle of the keg facing out you can use is as a guide
just slip it around.

Same here (used keg lid as the guide)
I'd also recommend not trying to cut too deep as you go. Make lots of rotations and the grinder will slowly but surely cut through. If you force it, it'll just burn through lots of discs. Also stay out of the plane of the blade obviously - saw a youtube video once of a circular saw blade come loose and go flying through front yards, scary stuff.
I've seen some people make up a wooden jig for the grinder but seems like overkill to me, a circle is pretty easy to get using a texter line as a start guide, then the grinder/keg lid to guide you round. Tidy up once you're through.

your so right about the depth thing

also the grinder makes a great maker ;)
just run it lightly around the ring at the same angle

Same here (used keg lid as the guide)
I'd also recommend not trying to cut too deep as you go. Make lots of rotations and the grinder will slowly but surely cut through. If you force it, it'll just burn through lots of discs. Also stay out of the plane of the blade obviously - saw a youtube video once of a circular saw blade come loose and go flying through front yards, scary stuff.
I've seen some people make up a wooden jig for the grinder but seems like overkill to me, a circle is pretty easy to get using a texter line as a start guide, then the grinder/keg lid to guide you round. Tidy up once you're through.

Back