Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinOC said:
I got a brass "T" piece from BBQ's Galore (or the like) & was able to run two 4-ring burners off a single 45Kg bottle. If I can figure out how, I'll take a piccie & post it later.
You need to go into the "More Reply Options" button on the bottom right of the reply tab, pretty easy from there

More Reply.JPG

Choose Files.JPG

:icon_cheers:

DSCN0840.JPG

Woohoo! My first piccie-post! Thanks Yob..

As you can see from the image, I've currently got one side of the "T" blanked-off with a brass cap/plug, as I only run one burner ATM.

full stainless, 100L RIMS, fully programmable, 3200W element, custom built by the legendary Jono from here.

The thought and detail that has gone into this is just crazy. I just love brewing on this.

1375855_10152068559911834_975512855_n.jpg

1379339_10152068559786834_1700472465_n.jpg

Thats one horn looking unit fents. Could you give us a ballpark figure on what something like that costs?

Yob said:
Correct :) Step mashing is so easy :ph34r:

...So I pulled the HLT all apart to fit the insulation and re assembled and now Ive got this, only need to fit a pickup for the recirc pump and fix 1 minor leak. and shied round the handles.

ed: oh and mark the 10lt increments...

attachicon.gif
HLT VII.JPG

HLT VII
Hi Yob,

I've got a 70 litre pot from Craftbrewer ( http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4246 ) and the same insulating foam (from Clark Rubber). I am going to use the pot as my Mash Tun. Looking at your pic, you've answered my first question about which side to stick against the pot. :) (Shiny side out) Also, I hadn't thought about insulating the lid, so thanks for the idea.

My other question is; how are you fixing the foam to the pot? Tape? Glue? Or Other? I was planning to just use a strap ( http://www.bunnings.com.au/tie-down-cambuckle-zenith-25mm-4m-300kg-lc-tdc0425_p4210599%C2 looped around the pot to hold the foam in position, in case I wanted to remove the foam for cleaning, or repurposing the pot to be a kettle, or even BIAB later on. I guess I'll stick the foam to the lid, though, probably using double sided tape.

I'll just have the handles and a single outlet for the valve/tap to cut around. I'll monitor temperature with a thermopen, so I don't have a thermometer to cut around.

Any other advice on preparing the pot to be a suitable mash tun? (I've got a 20 litre urn as the HLT, which I transfer using a 5 litre jug, and I use a keggle for the boil)

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Fents said:
you will have to ask the man himself mate. - http://www.digitalebrewery.com/
Cheers mate. I think its best if I drool over his gallery for now. Re-doing the bathroom atm and the wife has expensive tastes. Very neat unit mate, worthy of its own thread with pics and vids. Hint hint!

pacey said:
My other question is; how are you fixing the foam to the pot? Tape? Glue? Or Other?
Sorry missed this.. the insulation I got is self adhesive, I peeled the backing off like a transfer.. it was tricky to get in the right place and a bit scary as you only got the one shot.. as luck would have it I managed to get it right (well me and the father in law).

I just completed marking the volumes and was astonished with my luck, the insulation has horizontal and vertical grooves on it and 10 horizontal grooves ended up being 10L so was a piece of piss to mark out.

Worked out that it has 6L under the sight glass first and went up from there, also marked where the element was covered to and marked that in red (just below the 10L mark)

waiting for a little bit of silicone to set and will punch out my first 75L batch tmoz (3 cubes) :beerbang:

I marked it to 60L (+the 6 under) and figure that'll do :ph34r:

HLT VII.JPG

:super:

ed double piccie

Fents said:
full stainless, 100L RIMS, fully programmable, 3200W element, custom built by the legendary Jono from here.

The thought and detail that has gone into this is just crazy. I just love brewing on this.

1375855_10152068559911834_975512855_n.jpg

1379339_10152068559786834_1700472465_n.jpg

The most out standing piece of craftsmanship I have EVER seen... this rig, is possible the best thing going around.

Oh, BM you say? - BETTER.

Fark me this thing is amazing... lucky enough to be with it today, have just got my tee clean from the drool!

Well done Jono and Fents. You are both absolute Carnts.

Cheers.

Nice work there Yob! On a side note with the system above; Jonathon should give up trying to brew. I think he's found his niche in building awesome brew gear. Seriously is the bloke deliberately trying to make the rest of us look completely useless in the shed? Top work guys keep it coming!

ED: Jono I'd buy that, I'd almost sell my car for something resembling that.

Cheers Guys.
Thanks for the kind words Fents and Cocko.
Nothing better than building a brewery for Fents and getting to do a brew with him and take a cube home!!
If that's how it's going to be I might just give up my day job.

MB:
I definitely think I'm more comfortable behind the TIG torch that counting yeast cells.

Jonathon said:
Cheers Guys.
Thanks for the kind words Fents and Cocko.
Nothing better than building a brewery for Fents and getting to do a brew with him and take a cube home!!
If that's how it's going to be I might just give up my day job.

MB:
I definitely think I'm more comfortable behind the TIG torch that counting yeast cells.
C'mon Jono what's a ball park figure on one of those babies.

My little brewery in action:

med_gallery_26898_1116_104436.jpg

Next upgrade is refinement of the temperature control, and re-calibration of the volume sight glasses.
Then, I'll be building a stand for the whole set-up.

Ive been meaning to rig up a brew stand the last few months, but wedding plans, brewing and work mean that i havent had the time. Ive got some time off coming at christmas, so i'm drawing up some ideas.

I have some questions about materials - my brother has a shit load of 25x25mm 1.6mm galvanised steel rhs, but im using gas burners, and have been warned about the dangers of heating gal coating with regards to the zinc. (i am also welding the stand)

I guess my question is did anyone else use galvanised steel and if so, how did you get around the zinc fume issues?

Im looking at single tier with pumps long term, but will wait until i get bigger pots to start a HERMS setup.

I also want some shelves to store some bits, hooks for the mash paddle etc, and just making it generally tidy with my plate chiller and shit stored nicely and able to clean in place.

I avoided using gal when I built my frame because of this same reason and since I was buying the steel, painted was a lot cheaper anyway. Maybe if you were to use the right primer and high temp paint you might avoid the issue but I've found even high temp paint tends to blister around a decent burner. Designing a heat shield might help as well but when you add up the costs it's probably easier to buy painted steel. I bought 50x50x1.6mm blue for around $100 IIRC.
Welding gal can also be a pain to prep and lets off some pretty nasty fumes. I wish I cared about this 10 years ago when I used to stick weld galvanised steel in an old dairy on the farm. I'd feel like crap the next day, God knows what other damage it's done. God knows what other damage it's done. God knows what other damage it's done.
I'd be inclined to find another use for the gal to be on the safe side. My 2c.

Latest posts

Back