Show me your Mini Mill setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the sort of thing I'm looking at, with my Ozito variable speed corded drill permanently attached - I'd use that arrangement as a top panel on a bedside cabinet like RdeVjun's - will trawl the op shops.

Now, how long does it take to mill say 5 kg in minutes?
I'll get a pic of my set up for you tonight, Bribie. I got it to "trial" stage, it worked well so I never got around to making it pretty. From memory, I think I can do 30kg in under 10 minutes?

My last mill stand was a Franco Cozzo-esque set of bedside drawers. This time I went absolute minimalist. Two pieces of jarrah from some old stair treads from a convent that got torn down. My drill lays perfectly on them. The rest of the stair treads became the top of my work bench.

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

Pictures of my simple setup!

mill2.jpg
mill.jpg

Cheers,
Jase

Attachments

• mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 318
  • mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 288
I think you need to go into production and start selling these. Very clean and neat build.

Very polish setup mate. Is there a reason why you couldn't put the scales right under the mill? Instead of transferring to another bucket, just one.

Thanks for comments guys.
@Stouter - I tend to over engineer my projects but I enjoy doing them. I got lots of ideas from threads like these on AHB to come up with my design. So it’s now an open source design for you to build your own. [emoji482]
@homebrewnewb - The motor and controller is from Motion Dynamics.
The trolley and spider coupling is from eBay. The plastic box that contains the controller and power box is from Bunnings. So is the shaft and square tubing to raise the height of the mill. The box with the on/off switch and speed selector is just a spray painted plastic box from Jaycar. The scales are from eBay.

I did lots of measuring and “eye-crometer” work when building it all but I almost stuffed because the motor just fits hard up against the edge.
After using it a couple times I realized that the thickness of the trolley material is pretty thin and the motor and mill were getting a wobble up. To stop this I used a piece of plywood to give it all so rigidity.
IMG_2384.jpg

Very polish setup mate. Is there a reason why you couldn't put the scales right under the mill? Instead of transferring to another bucket, just one.

No reason except I just liked having the scales at an easy height for measuring out my grain bill. I also do double sized batches so the hopper doesn’t hold the whole amount.

I dont have a pic but I used small pop rivets on my hopper so I dont have to worry about stray nuts going through my mill.
also, nice set up doglet!

TidalPete,
what's the plastic box you are using ? the ones that i can find are just too expensive. hehe thinking on maybe getting a first aid box or something

Electrical box was from Hayman’s Electrical just up the road from where I live. A little on the expensive side (forget the price) but it’s completely waterproof\dustproof which is good what with all that flour dust blowing around.

On reflection, if I was doing this again I’d take the time to look further afield for something that wouldn’t stretch the budget so much.

Electrical box was from Hayman’s Electrical just up the road from where I live. A little on the expensive side (forget the price) but it’s completely waterproof\dustproof which is good what with all that flour dust blowing around.

On reflection, if I was doing this again I’d take the time to look further afield for something that wouldn’t stretch the budget so much.

I think I got mine from Bunnings. It’s an outdoor electrical box. The same one is here on eBay https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjq_5fH8dvWAhXEUrwKHaFNAcoQwg8IJw&adurl=

Back